Brace Yourself

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 9:15 am

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 7:57 am
That was me. I made the same recommendation to my dad, but his water heater is right underneath the bedroom and he was concerned about noise from the heat pump unit.
The noise from this unit is less than the refrigerator and way less than the dehumidifier. Can't even hear it where I am sitting about 25 feet away. I did put it in a closet where the indirect water heater was. Originally I thought of keeping both but decided against that. I removed the door and there is a vent on the side wall. The Rheem builder grade model I purchased has 10 year warranty. After instant rebate and with zero tax it cost me $735. I ended up buying a 100 ft of 10/2 wire for about $150. I wired it into my emergency generator service panel so I have hot water in emergency situation. I had enough copper pipe so I purchased some fittings and sweat most everything. I had one pipe that relentlessly kept getting water so I opted for a sharkbite there after struggling for a long time trying to get it to work. I don't know the cost on all the accessories because I bought stuff I didn't need and will return. If I had to guess probably $250 including the wire. There is a $300 Federal tax credit so when all said and done probably going to be net $685 but I have about 80 feet of direct burial 10=2 left. It was cheaper than NM.
IMG_8339.jpeg
.JPEG | 285.3KB | IMG_8339.jpeg
IMG_8338.jpeg
.JPEG | 256KB | IMG_8338.jpeg

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 10:00 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 9:05 am
. I know it is in heat pump mode and I know I have humidity in lower level and I have turned off the dehumidifier that was running 24/7. Current humidity at this exact moment is 55. When unit is running it has faster stream of water than my dehumidifier has.
Saving from not running dehumidifier are great and often not considered. 55% humidity is about right too. Ideal comfort level
Last edited by k-2 on Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 09, 2022 10:02 am

I hear you, but you are trying to convince the wrong guy. :lol:

When dad heard silent and $100 less per month there was no changing his mind.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:10 pm

Its nice to have multiple heat sources. I have Coal as the main, and a wood stove backup. I also had an old oil setup as a backup but needed the oil boiler for a rental and havnt replaced it yet. I dont think i ever will. Down the road id rather a minisplit as a backup and for shoulder season and AC.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 9:28 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:10 pm
Its nice to have multiple heat sources. I have Coal as the main, and a wood stove backup. I also had an old oil setup as a backup but needed the oil boiler for a rental and havnt replaced it yet. I dont think i ever will. Down the road id rather a minisplit as a backup and for shoulder season and AC.
I like that order of redundancy. You are fortunate to have those options.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 10:20 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Sep. 03, 2022 7:40 pm
Indian NEVER lost--sometimes a tad disoriented, but never lost. Silly white eyes!!!!
That’s great FF, reminds me of a saying attributed to Daniel Boone when asked if he was ever lost, supposed replied “ no never but, I’ve been mighty bewildered a time or two”

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 9:53 pm

Daniel Boone was born little over a quarter mile away from my house. His uncle built a stone farmhouse across the street from my house. Fireplace in every room.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. Sep. 12, 2022 4:07 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Sep. 11, 2022 9:53 pm
Daniel Boone was born little over a quarter mile away from my house. His uncle built a stone farmhouse across the street from my house. Fireplace in every room.
I had some relatives down your way somewhere around Burnt Cabin.

OTR
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Crown Royal 7200 (OWB)

Post by OTR » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 4:27 pm

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Sep. 10, 2022 8:10 pm
Agreed re: redundancy. My primary heat source is an OWB that I typically burn coal in. That OWB heats the water in the oil boiler's tank, which can obviously heat itself if turned on. Then I have a wood stove that used to be my primary source of heat. Backups for backups... I will not freeze!

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:22 pm

Still 1 ton short of a this winters est usage. Should be able to get that Monday. My new bin can hold 5+ tons which is 1 more than i need for a season. Im thinking about replacing it as i use it this winter. Since the whole worlds has gone to pot. Paid an extra 20% this yr over last yr so i guess i cant complain.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 5:11 am

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:22 pm
Still 1 ton short of a this winters est usage. Should be able to get that Monday. My new bin can hold 5+ tons which is 1 more than i need for a season. Im thinking about replacing it as i use it this winter. Since the whole worlds has gone to pot. Paid an extra 20% this yr over last yr so i guess i cant complain.
I think the price is severely impacted the farther from the mining location. Even though the price of gasoline has come down a little diesel is still outrageously expensive. For some reason the rhetoric and accepted philosophy is to tax and punish the evil truckers and people are so narrow minded they cannot recognize that nothing hits their store shelves without the evil punished truckers.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 1:42 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sat. Sep. 17, 2022 5:11 am
I think the price is severely impacted the farther from the mining location. Even though the price of gasoline has come down a little diesel is still outrageously expensive.
Right ,the best prices iv had are those that i pick up myself. Hauling has gone way up and im only 10 to 15 miles from the breaker and the mines. The truckers have to deal with record fuel prises and all their other expenses going up just to make the same thing they did before brandon took the wheel.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Oct. 14, 2022 12:55 pm

What is the latest? What are people paying or the current selling price of coal?

dunedainranger
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Energy Max 110

Post by dunedainranger » Fri. Oct. 14, 2022 1:15 pm

I bought during the summer and got the off-season discount, but all I can say is I am seeing a lot of coal stoves going up for sale this year - usually package deal stove, accessories, and coal. Clearly not just someone upgrading, but more like moving away from coal.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Oct. 14, 2022 2:04 pm

dunedainranger wrote:
Fri. Oct. 14, 2022 1:15 pm
I bought during the summer and got the off-season discount, but all I can say is I am seeing a lot of coal stoves going up for sale this year - usually package deal stove, accessories, and coal. Clearly not just someone upgrading, but more like moving away from coal.
Not me ,id rather have coal at $3-400 a ton than oil at $5
. I only paid $200 more overall for 4.5 ton this yr than last yr but i had to haul half of it myself from small mom and pop operations.Id rather give money to the small local guys anyway.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”