Brace Yourself

saphireblue99
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by saphireblue99 » Mon. Jul. 18, 2022 4:38 pm

I know alot of guys don't like it, but American Premium is $250 a ton at the breaker. Been burning in my efm520 for 20 years and not had a problem.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 12:57 pm

I am thinking of burning FRN this heating season.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 1:11 pm

Got a ton of rice coal from Sherman this morning.
Still $170 a ton but the price is going to $200 a ton on the first.
It's loaded with fines so heads up. I got one ton but was told they were out after that for the day for me, they need the rest of the coal for their orders, he said some were placed weeks ago. Happy they let me get a ton. have not been there since 2016ish when I lived in newtown.
My sons 2014 f-150 took that ton of coal like it was nothing. 16.4 mpg on the return trip.

taking a break and then i got about 1/4 ton left to get out of the truck and going to go to superior for a ton

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 2:14 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 1:11 pm
Got a ton of rice coal from Sherman this morning.
Still $170 a ton but the price is going to $200 a ton on the first.
It's loaded with fines so heads up. I got one ton but was told they were out after that for the day for me, they need the rest of the coal for their orders, he said some were placed weeks ago. Happy they let me get a ton. have not been there since 2016ish when I lived in newtown.
My sons 2014 f-150 took that ton of coal like it was nothing. 16.4 mpg on the return trip.

taking a break and then i got about 1/4 ton left to get out of the truck and going to go to superior for a ton
Dang! Just the 'fuel' ( :lol: :lol: ) I needed to persuade my wife to let me get more! Haha...I've said it on other pages but theyr'e about 10 minutes from me (sherman) and they have much better coal than superior (who is less than a mile away). I might be in luck in getting some pea coal. You won't be disappointed!

ALSO! Superior's is often undersized, can probably use buck if you need rice!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 2:14 pm
Dang! Just the 'fuel' ( :lol: :lol: ) I needed to persuade my wife to let me get more! Haha...I've said it on other pages but theyr'e about 10 minutes from me (sherman) and they have much better coal than superior (who is less than a mile away). I might be in luck in getting some pea coal. You won't be disappointed!

ALSO! Superior's is often undersized, can probably use buck if you need rice!
this sherman seems oversized with a lot of fines. first time i was there since around 2015.
I used to live in Newtown. i was a coal commonsewer thanks to the folks at coalpail, burned everything but direnzo lol. My roommate liked sherman nut coal. we even burned some bootleg coal. one of the locals was into an old mine near branchdale.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 7:50 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 12:57 pm
I am thinking of burning FRN this heating season.
What is that?

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 5:49 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Fri. Jul. 29, 2022 7:50 pm
What is that?
Federal Reserve Notes. Dollar Bills. If this inflation keeps going, the BTU's generated from a ton of Dollar bills might be cheaper than all other forms of heat.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 6:03 am

I noticed some people getting their feathers ruffled over talking about solar because this is a "coal forum." As I do understand it is a coal forum, why do people burn coal? They do so because it is less expensive or an alternative fuel. Often times the cost of coal is compared to oil, gas, electricity, propane... Well why can't solar be mentioned.

Furthermore, I got some good input and ideas from this thread that I have or am pursuing. I just swapped out a 3 ton AC for a heat pump per recommendations stated here that the HP is more efficient than coal in Fall and Spring. I have ordered a new AC coil for a second air handler in my house and once that arrives will be replacing another AC condenser that runs my lower level with a Heat Pump. I found a guy with brand new units and he evacuates and sets up new condenser doing all the labor for under $1,000. The 3 ton that was already replaced goes to a Carrier/Bryant Infinity Evolution air handler. That is pretty proprietary and complex communicating system. I had to purchase a special circuit board "NIM" to make it work seamlessly since I didn't put in a Carrier/Bryant heat pump but, all in with everything installed parts and labor under $3,000.

Another golden nugget I got from this thread from a contributing member is the idea of getting a heat pump water heater AKA hybrid hot water heater. I found a "builders model" for around $1,500. I am awaiting stock at the warehouse. In Connecticut, if you purchase from an authorized Connecticut supplier, you get an instant $750 rebate, then there is a Federal Tax Credit of $300. So not counting any wire or piping, I get a water heater that purportedly uses less energy than a light bulb for $450.

Thanks for those ideas!

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 6:36 am

It's all about the math. If it works for you, then have at it. Adding complexity to a system always has future costs.

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 9:04 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 6:03 am
Another golden nugget I got from this thread from a contributing member is the idea of getting a heat pump water heater AKA hybrid hot water heater. I found a "builders model" for around $1,500. I am awaiting stock at the warehouse. In Connecticut, if you purchase from an authorized Connecticut supplier, you get an instant $750 rebate, then there is a Federal Tax Credit of $300. So not counting any wire or piping, I get a water heater that purportedly uses less energy than a light bulb for $450.
Thanks for those ideas!
Way to go Coldhouse. I added HPWH as well. Uses less $ than having my stoker running all summer and overheating by basement ,not to mention the work. Also added a solar room that helped me cut my coal use a few ton. Nothing wrong with progress. I have the HPWH 7 or 8 yrs now and its money in the bank after like 2yrs.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 9:18 am

Nice upgrades guys. Keep us posted on them whether they are reliable and efficient.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 10:49 am

Coal is just a good way to solar...
From a few million years ago...

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 12:07 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:
Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 10:49 am
Coal is just a good way to solar...
From a few million years ago...
Love that!!

On another note…Rogue Methane leaking into the atmosphere is getting a lot of attention as of late. Funds are flowing to cap orphaned oil and natural gas well casings in states. The count is mind boggling.
PA has the most orphaned wells followed by OH and then OK. Commercials currently on TV asking for the public to help identify where all these orphaned well casings are located in order to get them all sealed up.
Not to mention decaying landfills and both ends of all cow’s constant contributions. And oh, most every waste water treatment facility on the planet.

Seems that long term methane flowing into the atmosphere would dwarf what Freon might of ever done…but IDK.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Hell,Every Good Coal Burner Gets A Sun Tan Every Now And Then! Personally,I don't care if You want to burn Cowchips,as long as it keeps Ya' warm! We've got the "Alternative Lifestyles Heating Section" here to accomodate all other Non-Coal Heating Methods. We are a Coal Site First And Foremost. That's what We do,and that's why We're Here. Like the old song said:"If You Got The Money,Honey,I've Got The Time!"... We've also got the place,Thanx to The Mayor's Foresite,to accomodate Your Heating Type!!

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Aug. 12, 2022 1:08 pm

Seen a good write up about the older wells...
There is a company buying them all up...
They have many thousands now...
Only capping a few per year...
per legal agreement...
I'll post it when i find it later...

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”