Does this look like nut coal?

cedar
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Fireplaces Insert
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut
Other Heating: Osburn 2400 insert

Post by cedar » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 10:35 am

I am far from an expert, with this being only my 3rd season but this has been the most difficult.
I am attributing to my coal size being to big. It’s suppose to be nut size but if you look at the pictures I feel like the coal in the bottom half of the pictures is much larger than nut size, which I fee is more in line with the top of the picture.
I’ve contacted my supplier back in early December when I first started having issues but he claims it’s within spec and it just needed to get colder out.
The problem I keep running into is it’s jamming the grates when I try to shake it. Last night was the 6th time it’s gotten jammed up that nothing moves.
I’d hoped it might burn enough overnight to weaken and be able to break up this morning but it didn’t and the fire was almost out with a house temp of 62 and single digits outside.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

6EBFB385-319A-43FA-9760-1580DDF844EA.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | 6EBFB385-319A-43FA-9760-1580DDF844EA.jpeg
7DDBF8D4-579C-4EFC-BEEB-5EC0618D8F05.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.4MB | 7DDBF8D4-579C-4EFC-BEEB-5EC0618D8F05.jpeg
7DA8580D-275C-46FE-A83D-EF50ED519E37.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.2MB | 7DA8580D-275C-46FE-A83D-EF50ED519E37.jpeg
15A07378-E365-462A-A184-586334B15837.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.1MB | 15A07378-E365-462A-A184-586334B15837.jpeg

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 10:50 am

Welcome to the forum.

I seriously doubt that oversized Chestnut coal will cause a problem with shaking your ash down. I know I have never had that problem. This is normally a problem if your coal is on the small side, then it can fall down in and get stuck in the grate.

When you shake it down, the only thing that should be coming through the grate is ash, not coal, not partly burnt coal, just ash. Are you sure your not shaking it too much?

Also, I hate to point out the obvious, but you pictures show what looks like rock. Rock will get jammed in the grate.

Here's what coal sizes should measure out to be.
00000_bIHkET6ENTw_1200x900.jpg
.JPG | 114.1KB | 00000_bIHkET6ENTw_1200x900.jpg
-Don

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 11:17 am

cedar wrote:
Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 10:35 am
I’ve contacted my supplier back in early December when I first started having issues but he claims it’s within spec and it just needed to get colder out.
I would have to disagree with your supplier, that is very big for being called nut size. Although him mentioning it getting colder is accurate but not for the reason of jamming the grate. Bigger sized coal is better at burning hotter than smaller sized coal because the combustion air has less resistance going up thru it, so more can get up thru it. Although this will cut burn time between tendings as well. I used to use a mix of nut and stove size for a bigger spectrum of heat demand. It would idle better on mild days and then produce good heat output at night when needed.

As far as the grate jamming is concerned, as Don mentioned you might be shaking too often or swinging the lever too far. Try very short choppy strokes with the grate lever and shake till you see a few red embers fall and have a glow radiating down thru the grates into the ash pan. Always keep good clearance between the height of the ash in the ash pan and the bottom of the grates. If you have another jam don't ever try to force the grates, reach from underneath with an "L" shaped rod to free it. There is also the possibility of rocks in the coal.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 11:23 am

C, that coal size is real close to NUT--I'm thinkin you're doin a full sweep when shakin--like has been stated--tone it down some-- I do around a 2/3 sweep & on occasion still jam up--RARELY-- Remember, this is Mother Earth stuff--NOT factory sized. :) When I do jam--I just leave it till she'll un-jam--

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 11:29 am

Some of the pieces are longer than what you usually see, but they probably have a diameter that meets spec. If it is good coal I would expect it to burn just fine.

Shaking the grates too often or opening them too far can cause the issues you have described. If you don’t think that is your problem, keep working with your supplier. Maybe bring them a pail of the coal to try for themselves.

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 6:03 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 10:50 am
Welcome to the forum.

I seriously doubt that oversized Chestnut coal will cause a problem with shaking your ash down. I know I have never had that problem. This is normally a problem if your coal is on the small side, then it can fall down in and get stuck in the grate.

When you shake it down, the only thing that should be coming through the grate is ash, not coal, not partly burnt coal, just ash. Are you sure your not shaking it too much?

Also, I hate to point out the obvious, but you pictures show what looks like rock. Rock will get jammed in the grate.

Here's what coal sizes should measure out to be.
00000_bIHkET6ENTw_1200x900.jpg

-Don
Thanks for the response. It’s possible I’m shaking a bit too much. My first year I had a lot of trouble with clinkers which I attributed to not shaking enough. I try to only shake til I have a few glowing pieces fall into the pan.
Which pieces are thinking maybe rock?If its the lighter pieces, those are the ones that were jammed in the grates partially burnt.
Another factor not helping my shaker is the handle/grates got out of sync in an earlier jam this year. In order for the grates to sit flat the arm has to be almost all the way back? (towards me) in the stroke. Basically only leaving me to push it away.
Nothing appears bent or broken but I can’t figure out a way to get it back in time. DS offered no suggestions other than to replace the whole shaker assembly.

cedar

Post by cedar » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 6:07 pm

Is it possible I could be having problems from putting to much in?
I fill it to the top, then I usually take my old firewood poker and poke it down around the sides so I can get a couple more scoops in there..

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Not likely on the fill C. Can you pull the handle off the nub & reposition it.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 9:39 am

Thank You FFred,You Read My Miniature Mind!

cedar

Post by cedar » Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 4:56 pm

Here’s what I’ve got to work with….

Attachments

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 6:24 pm

Hmmmmm, looks pretty flimsy!!! :( Does it have a set screw or could a hole be drilled, tapped ?? Can ya take the sheet metal off without burnin yourself ? Might could help.

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 7:16 pm

Check the weld where shaker handle is attached at the upward linkage. Might have broke. D.S. shakes alot easier than a Hitzer.

If grates jam up. Go fishing from below or wait till next tending.

Coal size is like ex-girlfriends, some say its big others say its small.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 15, 2022 8:44 pm

mntbugy wrote:
Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 7:16 pm
Check the weld where shaker handle is attached at the upward linkage. Might have broke. D.S. shakes alot easier than a Hitzer.

If grates jam up. Go fishing from below or wait till next tending.

Coal size is like ex-girlfriends, some say its big others say its small.
I keep forgetting to not read your posts when I'm drinking a glass of water, damn near drowned that time.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 15, 2022 8:48 pm

cedar wrote:
Sun. Feb. 13, 2022 10:35 am
I am far from an expert, with this being only my 3rd season but this has been the most difficult.
I am attributing to my coal size being to big. It’s suppose to be nut size but if you look at the pictures I feel like the coal in the bottom half of the pictures is much larger than nut size, which I fee is more in line with the top of the picture.
The problem I keep running into is it’s jamming the grates when I try to shake it. Last night was the 6th time it’s gotten jammed up that nothing moves.
I’d hoped it might burn enough overnight to weaken and be able to break up this morning but it didn’t and the fire was almost out with a house temp of 62 and single digits outside.
Any thoughts?
Below your divider top right 2 rocks on the right. Different color from other ash. If you take a hammer to them, I'd bet they're not black on the inside. I had same thing happen in November.

cedar

Post by cedar » Sat. Feb. 19, 2022 9:53 am

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Feb. 14, 2022 6:24 pm
Hmmmmm, looks pretty flimsy!!! :( Does it have a set screw or could a hole be drilled, tapped ?? Can ya take the sheet metal off without burnin yourself ? Might could help.
Sorry for the delay. When I talked to ds back in Dec. it sounded like it was just one complete unit with no set screw because I thought the same thing. Maybe I had just slipped the screw.
Unfortunately I have to pull the stove out and take all the sheet metal off from the back to access anything to do with the shaker arm. So barring any complete catastrophe I’m trying to leave it til spring.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”