Coal in Minnesota??

Khan1969
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Big Jack
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite

Post by Khan1969 » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Anyone know where I can get coal in MN, the person we got ours from is out and won't get more until next fall. Tractor supply want $1100 to ship 40 bags to their store for pick up. I need any info anyone has please.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 8:43 pm

Which part of MN? I forgot where your at.

Khan1969

Post by Khan1969 » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 8:49 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 8:43 pm
Which part of MN? I forgot where your at.
we're in south western MN 90 miles north of Sioux Falls, SD about 14 miles from the SD border. We got the coal we're currently burning from a dealer by WI, but he's out.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 9:23 pm

Go on facebook marketplace and see if there is still someone selling lehigh anthracite coal in Mora MN. Search for coal in Mora and you might find it. Theres someone in Itasca? too. Other than that contact the various bagged coal places. 2 of them have reps here, Blaschak and Lehigh, and see if there are any dealers near you. Its a bad time of the year to be looking in our location. Im in SE MN.

Once you get into SD or ND, it could get hard to find anyone. There are several dealers in SE MN because of Amish. Im unsure what is up with TSC quoting you such a price. That manager must not want to mess with it.

Khan1969

Post by Khan1969 » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 9:30 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 9:23 pm
Go on facebook marketplace and see if there is still someone selling lehigh anthracite coal in Mora MN. Search for coal in Mora and you might find it. Theres someone in Itasca? too. Other than that contact the various bagged coal places. 2 of them have reps here, Blaschak and Lehigh, and see if there are any dealers near you. Its a bad time of the year to be looking in our location. Im in SE MN.

Once you get into SD or ND, it could get hard to find anyone. There are several dealers in SE MN because of Amish. Im unsure what is up with TSC quoting you such a price. That manager must not want to mess with it.
I sent a dealer location request to Blaschak hoping for a reply. yeah the guy we got it from originally was Amish not far from Rochester. The TSC quote was on their web site the store doesn't stock it. Figure I could get it shipped to their store only 30 miles from me. But still it's $9 a bag which is $3 a bag more than what we originally paid. Mora and Itaska are so far from me it's not worth the trip.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Fri. Jan. 21, 2022 10:15 pm

It might be worth checking the $ to buy a pallet of bags in PA and have Fastenal move it to one of their locations near you. As of a few years ago they had pretty cheap rates in some lanes for moving palletized stuff.

Mike

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 22, 2022 9:29 am

Years ago I had a chat on the phone with this place in Mineral Point WI and he offered to ship coal to me. Unsure if he even sells or ships it anymore but might be worth a try. https://bossertfireplaceshoppe.com/ I'd wait to hear back from Blaschak 1st. Theres a rep on this forum from Blaschak I have contacted before. Blaschak Coal is his user name.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 22, 2022 11:14 am

Phone calls are often more effective than filling out those online forms.

Blaschak and Reading have their dealers listed, Lehigh and Kimmel's will look them up if you call and ask.

https://www.blaschakcoal.com/residential-uses/dealer-locator
readinganthracite.com
https://lehighanthracite.com/
http://www.kimmelcoal.com/

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”