Coal sources in and around the Idaho area?

PlanelyFlyin
Hand Fed Coal Stove: A cookstove of some kind in the future
Other Heating: Currently a Quadrafire 1200 pellet stove

Post by PlanelyFlyin » Tue. May. 10, 2022 11:43 am

renaissanceman wrote:
Thu. Oct. 21, 2021 1:30 pm
Tractor Supply has bagged anthracite and one local place in Caldwell, ID has ~1" bituminous for $300 per ton. I'm new to coal and looking for more sources.
If you are still looking for additional sources of coal in the Idaho area, there's a guy here in the Idaho Falls area that sells Utah bit coal in bulk. He has lump and stoker size. It's S J Hatton Coal in Ucon, ID His phone number is 208-523-5950.

renaissanceman
Other Heating: 20" New Columbian fireplace

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 4:51 pm

Yes, I am still trying to source some coal, I'll give him a ring. I'm currently trying to find a semi and driver to go pick up a load at Wolf Mountain in Montana. It's 9kbtu/lb sub-bituminous priced at $75/ton.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 5:08 pm

PlanelyFlyin wrote:
Tue. May. 10, 2022 11:43 am
If you are still looking for additional sources of coal in the Idaho area, there's a guy here in the Idaho Falls area that sells Utah bit coal in bulk. He has lump and stoker size. It's S J Hatton Coal in Ucon, ID His phone number is 208-523-5950.
I gave that guy a call and he may be able to run me a semi load of 30 tons right to my location if he can schedule a truck. Fingers crossed!

PlanelyFlyin

Post by PlanelyFlyin » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 5:50 pm

Oh good! Let me know what you think of it. I have a feeling its going to be a bit before we can actually get set up for coal but when we do I'll probably get stuff from him since he's only 10 minutes from where we live.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 6:59 pm

PlanelyFlyin wrote:
Wed. Sep. 21, 2022 5:50 pm
Oh good! Let me know what you think of it. I have a feeling its going to be a bit before we can actually get set up for coal but when we do I'll probably get stuff from him since he's only 10 minutes from where we live.
If he comes through, I'll let you know. After talking to him, I've been working the phones on Utah sources as well. There seems to be a much larger coal industry down that way than around the Montana mines, and the quality of Utah bituminous is supposedly much better than MT/WY sub-bituminous.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 9:33 pm

I have another company that is supposedly going to bring be a semi load for $252 per ton (delivered). The gentleman says they screen 99% of the fines out and it should be fist to football size on the whole load. They are supposed to deliver on October 3 and I'm going to follow up to make sure that stays on schedule or close to it.

Assuming they come through this week, I'm looking forward to being able to burn without worrying about the coal reserves this year!

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 3:32 am

The link to Utah Wolverine fuels that PlanelyFlyin posted back in May showed their coal at 44.5% carbon and 11,000 btu. That would be the very top end on sub bit from what I've quickly researched. Good luck!

PlanelyFlyin

Post by PlanelyFlyin » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 10:01 am

renaissanceman wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 9:33 pm
I have another company that is supposedly going to bring be a semi load for $252 per ton (delivered). The gentleman says they screen 99% of the fines out and it should be fist to football size on the whole load. They are supposed to deliver on October 3 and I'm going to follow up to make sure that stays on schedule or close to it.

Assuming they come through this week, I'm looking forward to being able to burn without worrying about the coal reserves this year!
What company is this? What kind of coal are they selling and where are they? Thanks!

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Wed. Sep. 28, 2022 9:36 pm

I'll divulge the details after I get the load and make sure all is well. I was out sick today, but I'll call to confirm that we're still on for Monday delivery. Hopefully I can post photos and contact info after that. I'll burn some as well to see how it compares to my 1940s vintage mystery bit that I burned last year. I suspect that old coal was mined in utah as well, but that's just a guess based on my location relative to any mines.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 11:37 pm

I got the load, 23.5 tons and it is really nice stuff. Probably 100lb of fines in the whole load. About 1% large rocks, the rest shiny bit coal from 3" to 12" chunks. I'm exceedingly happy. The mine already raised the prices since I ordered my load.

The gentleman said I can share the info, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM. The price per ton seems to be more driven by the distance to delivery than the coal price with diesel over $5 per gallon right now.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Tue. Oct. 04, 2022 11:40 pm

Chevy Colorado for scale.

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 12:02 pm

I burned a fire to try it out even though it is still warm in southern Idaho. It burns really nicely -- I loaded a half basket and lit it, and got 3 hours of great heat output before I went to bed. There were still coals burning in the morning 12 hours later. I'm very pleased.

PlanelyFlyin

Post by PlanelyFlyin » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 12:30 pm

Nice! How did it smell? How do you plan on storing it? I've heard that bit doesn't store as well as anthracite...Is that true?

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 2:24 pm

It smells just like the other bit I had last year that was 1940's vintage. Not bad, sorta sweet, almost like a freshly paved road.

I'm going to put black plastic over the top of it next week and weight the corners down with some of the big rocks that were in the shipment. I don't know how well it will store, but we do not have a ton of rain or snow here in southwest Idaho, so I think the plastic will suffice for the 5 years or so it will take me to burn up the pile.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Oct. 06, 2022 2:53 pm

Last time I called my local bagged coal dealer, they were trying to figure out what to do.

I just called and was told all they have is rice coal.

And it's $11.49 a 40lb bag. That's $575.00 a ton. :o

I'll bet it's gonna be a great year to be selling wood stoves !!!

Paul

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”