Coal dealers Berks county PA. area

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Sep. 15, 2021 11:55 pm

I still haven't gotten around to ordering some coal this year. I need to do a complete replacement on my piping, etc. first. I keep flipping between all bulk as usual or some bagged or mostly oil. With heating oil taking big price marches up in the commodity markets for months, I guess it's got to be mostly coal as usual. Getting tough with age, ailments and the outdoor storage situation here.

Anyhow, here's what seems to be still around in Berks area other than hardware stores and Tractor Supply selling bagged now and then.

FM Browns mills, who I have never used, ended their coal and oil side line business at their Reading/Shillington location. From a newspaper article months ago, it sounded like the the next gen wanted a different direction. Over 100 years selling coal. Francis L Werley Inc. of Hamburg, who I have used for oil for years, bought the coal and heating business part in Reading and started up a separate co. for those customers, Werley Energy. I had emailed FL Werley early Summer and asked about coal and if they would be carrying Lehigh. FM Brown had carried 3 brands. I was told at that time it would be Blaschak only. They also quoted a Summer only price of $250/ton. No mention of different size prices. I assume that was delivered price, but they didn't say. Werley Energy has a website now.

Countryside coal and wood of Myerstown, has coal yards in Bethel, Berks county. I've used them the previous 3 years. Blashak only, last I heard. They also have an online order form/calculator. I don't know if the prices are still current, but it shows bulk $223/ton delivered for a 4 ton minimum, $225/ton for less than 4. No mention of different size prices. Location may matter for price. From memory, for over 4 tons, I believe nut was $219 in 2021, maybe $2009 in 2020 and about $195 in 2019.

From Denver, Pa., a short distance into NE Lancaster county, is Jay Clair Sensenig coal. I never used them, but some have reported great service and prices on these forums. Lehigh only, it seems. Not sure how far North he would come into Berks county.

I can think of about 6 different coal dealers/yards/ or haulers that have closed within about 10-15 miles of me in the past 10-15 years. Glad that there are a couple left still delivering.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 6:52 am

Ah YES--decisions, decisions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Shikellamy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut (bagged)
Other Heating: Shivering; a forest of dead Ash

Post by Shikellamy » Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 8:52 am

I have been buying bagged coal from Kegerreis Stoves on 183 in Bernville for the past few years. They always have reasonable prices and fresh stock. I also get to keep up with stove problems and services and pick their brains for market trends. I thought about bulk, but bags are cleaner and I can move them around on a pallet as needed. All my wood burning neighbors know when I have coal in the burner, smells like an old locomotive!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 9:01 am

Interesting that you get smell--do they sell bagged BIT?????????????????????

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 9:25 am

https://www.livngreenstore.com/
The web site ordering is a little odd so you might want to call or email. They will get back to you.
Lehigh only. Rice, pea and nut. They can auger deliver or dump. I've used them for the last number of years.
They will be at the Oley fair this weekend.

Shikellamy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut (bagged)
Other Heating: Shivering; a forest of dead Ash

Post by Shikellamy » Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks for the heads up about Oley. I wonder if they'd be willing to exhibit at Joanna Furnace; Hay Creek Valley Historical Society in Morgantown? I'll follow up.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve

Post by hank2 » Fri. Sep. 17, 2021 3:37 am

tsb wrote:
Thu. Sep. 16, 2021 9:25 am
https://www.livngreenstore.com/
The web site ordering is a little odd so you might want to call or email. They will get back to you.
Lehigh only. Rice, pea and nut. They can auger deliver or dump. I've used them for the last number of years.
They will be at the Oley fair this weekend.
tsb, thanksI had forgot about them. Just outside eastern Berks. I did use them for bulk maybe 7 years ago and it was Lehigh then. Really clean correct sized coal. No heavy dose of bone. They charged me a heavy delivery charge. ( $30/ton?) on top of a fairly high yard price. I'm probably close to 30 miles from them and it's not a quick route. I tried to order from them the following year. Left several phone messages and and an email or two. No response. Guess they didn't want to go that far or maybe no one was in charge of coal at the time. It's been a few years since I was at the Oley fair, but I did see them there.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Fri. Sep. 17, 2021 8:45 am

Thirty miles is not going to appeal to them. I'm only 5 miles tops.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Wed. Oct. 06, 2021 7:04 pm

Give Jay Sensenich a call, I’d be willing to bet he would bring you coal. When you place the order he takes his dump truck up to Lehigh and picks it up. So to get from reading to Tamaqua he would practically drive past you. I got a real nice load of nut/pea mix from him last year. I forget the price. I wanna say 198 delivered/ton???? I ran into some free coal from dad last year so didn’t order this year.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Oct. 07, 2021 6:35 pm

I just got 4.25 ton from countryside wood and coal. He just left 15 minutes ago.
it was $917.00 so 223 a ton sounds about right.

It would cost me 3 tanks of fuel and three trips to bring that much coal from Schuylkill county. so 180 in fuel (i run non ethanol, truck gets 5 mpg) it would cost way more.

I should be good till spring. had about a ton and a half in the bin yet

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Oct. 07, 2021 6:39 pm

hank2 wrote:
Wed. Sep. 15, 2021 11:55 pm
I still haven't gotten around to ordering some coal this year. I need to do a complete replacement on my piping, etc. first. I keep flipping between all bulk as usual or some bagged or mostly oil. With heating oil taking big price marches up in the commodity markets for months, I guess it's got to be mostly coal as usual. Getting tough with age, ailments and the outdoor storage situation here.

Anyhow, here's what seems to be still around in Berks area other than hardware stores and Tractor Supply selling bagged now and then.

FM Browns mills, who I have never used, ended their coal and oil side line business at their Reading/Shillington location. From a newspaper article months ago, it sounded like the the next gen wanted a different direction. Over 100 years selling coal. Francis L Werley Inc. of Hamburg, who I have used for oil for years, bought the coal and heating business part in Reading and started up a separate co. for those customers, Werley Energy. I had emailed FL Werley early Summer and asked about coal and if they would be carrying Lehigh. FM Brown had carried 3 brands. I was told at that time it would be Blaschak only. They also quoted a Summer only price of $250/ton. No mention of different size prices. I assume that was delivered price, but they didn't say. Werley Energy has a website now.

Countryside coal and wood of Myerstown, has coal yards in Bethel, Berks county. I've used them the previous 3 years. Blashak only, last I heard. They also have an online order form/calculator. I don't know if the prices are still current, but it shows bulk $223/ton delivered for a 4 ton minimum, $225/ton for less than 4. No mention of different size prices. Location may matter for price. From memory, for over 4 tons, I believe nut was $219 in 2021, maybe $2009 in 2020 and about $195 in 2019.

From Denver, Pa., a short distance into NE Lancaster county, is Jay Clair Sensenig coal. I never used them, but some have reported great service and prices on these forums. Lehigh only, it seems. Not sure how far North he would come into Berks county.

I can think of about 6 different coal dealers/yards/ or haulers that have closed within about 10-15 miles of me in the past 10-15 years. Glad that there are a couple left still delivering.
I'm in eastern berks county too. We are near the Daniel Boone Homestead.
Brandon has been delivering my coal since 2017.

hank2

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 4:20 am

I wound up getting some bulk from Countryside again, just the other day. $223/ton. Good job as always. Looked to be correct nut sized. Past 3 years the Blaschak I got was mostly stove sized. I should've ordered more than I did and they got shorted on the dump on my order. Guess I'll be running for some bagged sometime. The guy delivering said that they don't yard coal in Bethel, just run to Blaschak to get it. He wasn't sure if they're selling the Middle field Mammoth vein stuff from near Mt. Carmel or not. Isn't the Mammoth vein middle fields supposed to be red ash compared to white ash in the Mammoth vein southern field?
Last edited by hank2 on Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

hank2

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 4:23 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Thu. Oct. 07, 2021 6:35 pm
I just got 4.25 ton from countryside wood and coal. He just left 15 minutes ago.
it was $917.00 so 223 a ton sounds about right.

It would cost me 3 tanks of fuel and three trips to bring that much coal from Schuylkill county. so 180 in fuel (i run non ethanol, truck gets 5 mpg) it would cost way more.

I should be good till spring. had about a ton and a half in the bin yet
Sounds like you are pretty well set. I guess you'd have to able to haul a lot per trip or live close by to make hauling your own bulk worthwhile.

Daniel Boone homestead, eh? It must be 40 years since I toured that, Have to do that sometime. I had lived in Albany township in far northern Berks ( Kempton/ Hawk mountain) for a long time. Just down the road from me was said to be the oldest home in Berks county, still standing. It was built by Daniel Boone's father who was said to build homes for a living. Perhaps Daniel helped. It was a really nice original log home with large porch. An old fellow lived there for years with no running water. Some new yorkers eventually got it and revamped it into something ridiculous.

hank2

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 4:38 am

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 06, 2021 7:04 pm
Give Jay Sensenich a call, I’d be willing to bet he would bring you coal. When you place the order he takes his dump truck up to Lehigh and picks it up. So to get from reading to Tamaqua he would practically drive past you. I got a real nice load of nut/pea mix from him last year. I forget the price. I wanna say 198 delivered/ton???? I ran into some free coal from dad last year so didn’t order this year.
Thanks BB06, I thought about calling Jay Sensenig, but did not. You're right, it sounds like he likely passes nearby me coming from Tamaqua to Lancaster county. I didn't think of that. Maybe next time.

hank2

Post by hank2 » Fri. Oct. 08, 2021 5:02 am

Ok, just one more, There used to be a hauler/yard, Carl and Smith, that advertised for many years locally. I never used them and know nothing about them. I just noticed an ad in the local classified ads rag. Underkoffler coal delivery service from Williamstown, Pa. ( Northern Dauphin county). Formerly Carl and Smith. Listed numbers, 717-329-9249 or 717-648-9289. The ad stated that they're on facebook.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”