Semi load of coal to MN?

tjmortenson
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hardy H4
Coal Size/Type: Stoker

Post by tjmortenson » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 9:17 am

Anyone know of any companies who will deliver a full semi load of stoker coal to central MN? So far I have only found one company that will deliver 25 tons of lignite from north dakota for right around $2200. Just curious if that is a good price, and if it would be worth paying more for anthracite or bituminous. I understand lignite has about half the energy per pound as anthracite.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 10:52 am

kind of depends on what you have to burn it in.

getting trucking out to you from the ant. beds could be a seriously tough job. i'd say call Lehigh in PA and talk to someone in bulk sales and ask them to get you a quote for coal and trucking to you and make some decisions form there.

I got 23 tons from PA to Indiana for $136 a ton plus $30 a ton for trucking in Oct. 2015 still have half of it.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 11:02 am

If you want to buy a load of bituminous coal, you need to buy it from someone that understands what type will work well in your application. I suggest calling these guys:

Thompson Brothers Mining Co
(330) 549-3979

I expect the trucking quote will make your eyes water, but there is no getting around the fact that you are located a long way from the coal fields most of us are familiar with.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 11:14 am

Are you sure you want stoker coal and not lump?

Someone in Milaca MN is selling ant on facebook marketplace for 300/ton. Try some before you commit to a semi-load. Nut sized.

If you go with lignite, try calling the man from Dodge Center MN that sells lignite. He hauls it himself so maybe he would be cheaper but no promises.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 11:46 am

and That, is why this group is so GREAT

tjmortenson
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hardy H4
Coal Size/Type: Stoker

Post by tjmortenson » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Awesome, thanks for the tips. The guy in dodge center is the one that quoted me $2200, which I think is a pretty fair price. This might be a dumb question, but what is the difference between lump and stoker? He offers both, and I'm currently burning stoker coal.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Feb. 02, 2021 4:16 pm

Lump is much bigger. He has a picture of it on his listings. I had a couple chunks much larger than my head in a single load. (I have a picture of mine in a topic titled Lignite) I unloaded it by hand, no shovel needed except the fines. Stoker is much smaller and can choke your fire. It is more for auger type automatic systems. But how fast your burning thru it, maybe it would work. It needs to be covered well as it deteriates somewhat quickly if exposed to weather.

I have never used a boiler or anything like your using. Many here do or have. They will know more about size needed than me.

My experiences with it were some different than many have related here. I could smolder a few pieces 12 hrs if I did it right, shook an extra time, and overfire air didnt seem to burn many volatiles. I seemed to need under air to burn it. Could have been the stove Im using, I dont know. I plan to get another load towards spring as Im sure I can run it cheaper than with anthracite in mild weather. In cold weather its about the same cost. I didnt mind burning it at all.

The man selling it seemed nice. he's been burning it for years and has a new boiler made for lignite he uses.

Another poster from SD had some Ohio bit hauled to him and he liked it but has went to ant from TSC. There arent many options in our state. its anthracite or lignite. perhaps a local TSC store has anthracite on hand for you to try a few bags. Their store shows where its in stock at if you enter your zipcode. Dry it out first if you go that route as the bags usually have moisture.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”