Tractor Supply Kimmel Nut and Rice Sale

Gunny5821
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck 24
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite and local Bit

Post by Gunny5821 » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 9:32 am

Just received notification from TS that their nut and rice is on sale 2 for $12.00. It didn't say how long the sale would last, but more than likely through Sunday. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/premium-nut-coal

Regards,

Richard

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 9:35 am

Are you going to ask about the senior discount too?

Seniors' Day Discount Details
What is Seniors’ Day?

TSC Stores is now offering an exclusive discount to Seniors. Seniors can now receive 20% off of regular priced items at TSC Stores on the last Tuesday of every month.

Who is eligible?

Any TSC Stores customer who is 55 years of age or older. Proof of age may be required at checkout.

Are there any exclusions?

The discount applies to in-stock, regular priced products only. Exclusions include clearance, animal feed, salt, hot buys & ammunition. The discount can’t be combined with any other offer or discount.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 9:41 am

I’m really struggling with this ton of tsc I have. I pulled two coalpails of clinkers out of the stove after 10 bags. In fairness I am getting adjusted to a new to me stove but I haven’t been over *600 with it. My draft just dwindled down to very weak and after it died down I discovered it was choked down with all those clinkers. I’m on my third bag after clean out and I see the draft is diminishing again. 30 more bags and I reckon I’ll go back to the high dollar blashak.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 9:48 am

The folks at Blaschak are pros at blending coal to get a consistent product.

Curious - which stove are you getting the clinkers in?

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 10:27 am

This has happened in three stoves I’ve used this season. It choked down Tom. then I tried it in the DS basement stove, same thing. Now using the Clayton and it seems to be much more pronounced in the Clayton.

I seem to recall the same thing happening in the small hot blast I was using last year.

I’m not saying it’s totally the coals fault. I’m still somewhat of a novice so I’m sure operator error plays a role.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 10:56 am

F, ya need to pick ONE stove & get it figured out instead of bouncin around--each stove is totally different in operation & maintenance/tending!! :)

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks again Gunny for the heads up! i ordered some at this price just to be sure I had enough for the season. My closest store had it in stock online or I would have passed. Of course I havent got a confirmation email yet so they could be out.

That would drive me crazy with 3 stoves Fig. Hot temps may be the problem. I have 2 stoves but their both pretty simple. I do remember having problems with TSC in my Chubby with rocks but not all the time. Im sure my Riteway will eat it up like anything else I feed it. I'll leave it on my truck and burn a few bags and if its junk I'll take the rest back.

fig

Post by fig » Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 11:55 am

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 10:56 am
F, ya need to pick ONE stove & get it figured out instead of bouncin around--each stove is totally different in operation & maintenance/tending!! :)
Yeh but I haven’t had a chance to try out the warm morning 524b yet! The grass is always greener. Lol

Gunny5821

Post by Gunny5821 » Fri. Jan. 08, 2021 8:50 am

I did check, kind of disappointed. Seems there is another TSC in Canada, and when searching for senior discounts, they pop up along with all the other TSC links. Contacted TSC corporate and they said that it is misleading and they have had a lot of complaints from other customers.

When you go to TSC.com, it now says this store has been bought out by an outfit called Peavey, but the site still has the Tractor Supply look, format, and TSC logo. Very misleading.

Regards,

Richard
Holdencoal wrote:
Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 9:35 am
Are you going to ask about the senior discount too?

Seniors' Day Discount Details
What is Seniors’ Day?

TSC Stores is now offering an exclusive discount to Seniors. Seniors can now receive 20% off of regular priced items at TSC Stores on the last Tuesday of every month.

Who is eligible?

Any TSC Stores customer who is 55 years of age or older. Proof of age may be required at checkout.

Are there any exclusions?

The discount applies to in-stock, regular priced products only. Exclusions include clearance, animal feed, salt, hot buys & ammunition. The discount can’t be combined with any other offer or discount.

Gunny5821

Post by Gunny5821 » Fri. Jan. 08, 2021 9:45 am

Your welcome!

Tractor Supply is the only outfit in the State of Alabama that sells anthracite, so we don't have an opportunity to try other brands or suppliers. I haven't experienced any problems burning, and I am on day 40 of a continuous burn without losing fire. I shake twice a day and haven't noticed any clinkers, ash is basically a brown powder with some marble sized brown crusty chunks that crush easily between thumb and finger.

I just started burning anthracite last season and it was a true learning experience. I was having trouble getting a fire started until I read about lining the grate with about 5 or 6 layers of newspaper, with about a 6"X8" rectangle hole cut out in the center, stacking a pyramid of charcoal in the center, surrounded by nut about 6" inches deep around the charcoal. I then lite the charcoal from underneath with a torch. Once the charcoal catches, I open the damper on the ash door and eventually the anthracite catches and spreads outward to the perimeter of the firebox. By the way, once draft air hits the lit charcoal, it burns like a turbo. Within 20 minutes or so, the firebox is just about completely lit. I then begin to add coal on top of the charcoal, which catches quickly. I have used this method to lite a fire in the stove since the middle of last season, and haven't had a failure to start as of yet.

When I was growing up, (born in 1957) we had a coal fireplace in our house, and all of our relatives had Warm Morning and Sunny Jim coal heaters. Those who didn't burn coal, burned propane heaters or furnaces. The only coal available was bituminous, and very few had a coal bin under cover, just an open air bin or box made out of wooden slats. Many just had it dumped in a large pile to the side of the house or out back by the barn. Therefore, I never heard any of the complaints regarding quality, different brands, or how it burned; just lite it and it burned. As for clinkers, must have been a common occurrence, since everyone I knew had clinker tongs or blacksmith tongs to remove the clinkers, and they just dealt with it. I remember the days that the coal man brought a delivery in an old dump truck, and he would shovel out what he considered a ton, giving you a little extra, just to make sure he didn't short you. My dad worked in downtown Birmingham, AL, and every once in a while, he would come home from work with a load of coal that he traded someone out of. I hated to see those days, as the coal was in chunks about the size of footballs or larger. He would give me a sledge and say, "I want you to bust these chunks up about the size of baseballs", which I had to do daily as the pile was used up. Today, bituminous is only available from one source (40 miles away) at $200 per ton, stove to brick sized, which you have to haul in either a truck or trailer. So in closing, I am very happy to get anthracite in 40 lb. bags from Tractor Supply (18 miles away). I don't have to shovel, bust, or haul it up a hill loose in a wheelbarrow, so to me the bagged TSC is a good deal. Also, I think its great that the price is the same here in Alabama as it is up north for bagged nut ($6.99), plus I get about a 10% discount if I order/buy a pallet.

Regards,

Richard
warminmn wrote:
Thu. Jan. 07, 2021 11:22 am
Thanks again Gunny for the heads up! i ordered some at this price just to be sure I had enough for the season. My closest store had it in stock online or I would have passed. Of course I havent got a confirmation email yet so they could be out.

That would drive me crazy with 3 stoves Fig. Hot temps may be the problem. I have 2 stoves but their both pretty simple. I do remember having problems with TSC in my Chubby with rocks but not all the time. Im sure my Riteway will eat it up like anything else I feed it. I'll leave it on my truck and burn a few bags and if its junk I'll take the rest back.

KaptJaq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Godin 3721 Le Grand Rond
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Nut

Post by KaptJaq » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Has anybody else seen a difference between the TSC nut sold last season and this season? Last years bags were labeled LEHIGH ANTHRACITE (attached image on left) and this year's is "PREMIUM NUT COAL". The appearance of this year's bags remind me of Blaschack.

I have a few bags from last year in my bin and have occasionally burned one in between a couple of this year's. I've noticed that this year's appear to have less fines, are more consistent in size and burn with less ash and clinkers.

KaptJaq
IMG_20210109_140426468~2.jpg
.JPG | 436.4KB | IMG_20210109_140426468~2.jpg

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 5:19 pm

KaptJaq wrote:
Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 2:55 pm
Has anybody else seen a difference between the TSC nut sold last season and this season? Last years bags were labeled LEHIGH ANTHRACITE (attached image on left) and this year's is "PREMIUM NUT COAL". The appearance of this year's bags remind me of Blaschack.

I have a few bags from last year in my bin and have occasionally burned one in between a couple of this year's. I've noticed that this year's appear to have less fines, are more consistent in size and burn with less ash and clinkers.

KaptJaq

The bags that say Lehigh are from Lehigh that TSC bought thru them to resell. The other bag you show is what TSC bagged last year or the year before, possibly early this year, and is likely Reading coal. They have new styled bags this year without the handle and have blue lettering.

I picked up 40 bags the other day and as usual it varies from bag to bag, lots of rice coal in it, rice to stove in size, but it is burning good so far and thats all I care about. Oh, its wet too but i could care less about that as it dries in a hod quickly if by the stove. I never did understand the wet complaints as it does dry out. I guess if it was dry I could throw it in bag and all, lol

As a side note I saw a pallet of coal at TSC with several opened bags on top taped shut. Likely returned by customers with the wrong stoves or that thought it would burn like bit. maybe blacksmiths. Nobody local to me burns anthracite in handfeds but Amish and me it seems. There are a few stokers.

Gunny5821

Post by Gunny5821 » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 6:38 pm

One of the pallets I bought last February had a shipping placard dated 1-22-19, Packed by Trinity Packaging Corp. 357 Main St., Armonk, NY. Contents: Kimmel's 40# TSC Premium Nut Coal, Lot #132217; TP#13779; 2300/CS. Bags are white with green lettering same as your photo on the right.

Bought two pallets this season (one last night) and bags are the same, no shipping info on the pallets this season. I do know if you dig deep in their online advertising, you will see that they advertise that the coal is produced/manufactured by Kimmel. They advertised Kimmel last year, as well as currently this year. Also, bags with the blue lettering is Tractor Supply's Rice Coal.

If you read through the advertisement, you'll notice that Kimmel is mentioned twice: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/premium ... _vc=-10005

Regards,

Richard
KaptJaq wrote:
Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 2:55 pm

KaptJaq

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 7:42 pm

Its not Kimmels. They just never changed the name in their stores and online from the 1st year they sold it. Kimmels is out of business. Some here have found tags from Reading in their pallets too. TSC really should change it to the proper name, Miners Choice. Lowes sold it for a while too but called it the right name.

I dont think anyone has found labels about where its packed before, Trinity Packaging in NY that you found.

fig

Post by fig » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 8:50 pm

I think the pallet I bought a few months ago was a return because it was stacked differently and it was wrapped with two different kinds of cellophane

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”