Tractor Supply Kimmel Nut and Rice Sale

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 22, 2021 11:53 pm

I ran out of Blashak so I bought 14 bags of TSC coal. It was all they had on hand. This is completely different from the last ton I bought from them. Much smaller. Less glossy. Doesn’t take off and run away like the last stuff would.

Tbh it’s identical to the Blashak. The flame even looks the same. I’ll be interested to see if it burns down to rocks and clinkers up like the last stuff did or if it just burns to small chips like the Blashak does.

LBrookm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Baseboard

Post by LBrookm » Wed. Feb. 24, 2021 8:01 am

I’m finding the tsc coal varies from one pallet to the next. Just finished a pallet that was full of clinkers - it looked like bits of iron fused together in the ash and almost sounds like silver coins clinking when dumping the ash bucket in driveway. In the Warm Morning I found it very important to keep draft down to -.02 or the small clinkers will grow huge. With good draft control tending is a matter of rotating the whole grate briskly then shaking the dump section in and out the clinkers would drop into the pan. Just transitioned to another pallet and this coal is burning nice with noticeably less primary air. It’s more gray powdery ash and the pieces are larger with much less fines. Only difference in packaging I noticed was the clinker coal didn’t have the handle molded in one end of the tsc plastic bag.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 5:43 pm

Bumping this thread up as TSC has a pre order summer sale going now. I bought 6 tons for $309 per ton.

Funny how some here claim TSC Rice varies from pallet to pallet or season to season. I dun no I just burn it. Been 5 yrs now on TSC and it keeps my home toasty down to -40 deg f here in Northern NH and the Harman Super Mag runs just fine on it. I burnt Blazchek before TSC for years and don't notice a difference at all. Or maybe I just don't care about the small differences as long as it keeps the house warm. Friggin local dealers rape the market cause we are so far away from anywhere. Thank TSC for opening a stone finally within a reasonable distance.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 5:59 pm

The problems are with nut coal, not rice. People see TSC and assume nut I guess.

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 6:14 pm

We’re still at $6.99 per 40# bag of nut in central Va. Honestly considering stepping back to wood (do Not want to). 🤬

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Jul. 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Its $8.99 here, LOL Except during the sales. 6.99 east of the Mississippi River. In the fall they sometimes do 2 for $10 or $12 sales and do the 15% off thing once or twice a year. Thats when to buy LBrook. During the sales. Some areas that may not be an option, like if it has to be ordered.

Larobpra
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac CL 96G Wood/Coal/Oil Combo
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Fireplace for the Holidays

Post by Larobpra » Thu. Jul. 22, 2021 8:55 pm

I laid away 3 tons of nut last week for $278.50/ton here in northern NY. Regular price $324.50 ($6.49/bag). Got the $15/ton discount and had a 10% off coupon. Got 2 tons back in the spring with the last 10% coupon.

LBrookm

Post by LBrookm » Fri. Jul. 23, 2021 6:21 pm

That’s the way to do it! Good to hear there is an opportunity (maybe). Kinda getting the vibe here that it’s stuck this season in our area and $350.00 per ton is tight.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Wed. Sep. 22, 2021 2:24 pm

was just looking at tsc ad and they say the coal they have is from kimmels at this time, 6.49 a bag and they have rice in stock also.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Sep. 22, 2021 3:06 pm

coalfan wrote:
Wed. Sep. 22, 2021 2:24 pm
was just looking at tsc ad and they say the coal they have is from kimmels at this time, 6.49 a bag and they have rice in stock also.
That’s strange as believe Kimmel has been out of business for some years.
Bankruptcy June 1 2020.

This may be a case of FALSE
ADVERTISING!!!

TSC pallets bear Reading Coal tags.

Gunny5821
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck 24
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite and local Bit

Post by Gunny5821 » Wed. Sep. 22, 2021 8:37 pm

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Sep. 22, 2021 3:06 pm
That’s strange as believe Kimmel has been out of business for some years.
Bankruptcy June 1 2020.

This may be a case of FALSE
ADVERTISING!!!

TSC pallets bear Reading Coal tags.
I figured this might come up again, so I kept the pallet tag off of one of the pallets I bought back in March 2021, at our local Tractor Supply in Gardendale, Alabama. Everything they stock is shipped from the company headquarters outside of Nashville, TN. I've probably bought 10 to 12 pallets over the past three years and those pallets that still have the shipping/packaging tag are all Kimmel. Doesn't really matter to me where the anthracite coal comes from since TSC is the only one in the South who stocks it. It could come from Billy Bob's Coal Emporium and I would still buy it.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 8:02 am

Hello Gunny 5821,

Is you coal packed in open mouth/ sewn closed bags or plastic bags??
Kimmels must be purchasing all thier bagging supplies form Trinity here in the United States now as they were buying plastic woven open mouth sacks from Asia and using thier own bagging line for 40 pound sacks.

Gunny5821
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck 24
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite and local Bit

Post by Gunny5821 » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 9:18 am

lzaharis wrote:
Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 8:02 am
Hello Gunny 5821,

Is you coal packed in open mouth/ sewn closed bags or plastic bags??
Kimmels must be purchasing all thier bagging supplies form Trinity here in the United States now as they were buying plastic woven open mouth sacks from Asia and using thier own bagging line for 40 pound sacks.
It is packaged in the same white plastic bags as pictured on TSC's website, marked 40 lb. bags. I've never seen it packaged in the sewn open top bags.

Larobpra
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac CL 96G Wood/Coal/Oil Combo
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Fireplace for the Holidays

Post by Larobpra » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 10:26 am

Gunny5821 wrote:
Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 9:18 am
It is packaged in the same white plastic bags as pictured on TSC's website, marked 40 lb. bags. I've never seen it packaged in the sewn open top bags.
My first year with TSC coal (2016) it was in the sewn top bags, been the plastic bags since then.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Thu. Sep. 23, 2021 10:29 am

They could be sourcing it from both Reading and Kimmels or elsewhere. The Kimmels tag could just be for labeling the pallet for TSC too. Its really hard to say. If your getting actual Kimmels consider yourself lucky. i do remember our conversation a page or two back and Kimmels is open now.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”