American Premium Fine Coal

saphireblue99
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by saphireblue99 » Wed. Dec. 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Been using this coal on and off for the last 15 years or so, yes it tends to be like wine some years good and some not so good. Picked up 3 1/2 ton 3 weeks ago and it is pretty good this year. Yes its strip mined so will have some of the small mulch size twigs in it but not alot, sizing is good and its very clean. Saw some posts that it burns like paper and I totally disagree with that, I don't notice any difference in ash volume (red ash) and good Btu's. Run a efm 520 and no auger clogging ever, and just as many fines when pulling my cleanout lever as I have had with other deep mined coals. Was 150 per ton picked up can't get much lowe than that.

saphireblue99
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by saphireblue99 » Sat. Jan. 02, 2021 1:24 pm

Just an update, picked up another 3/4 ton today to top off bin. Coal has gotten a bit more "mulchy" more small wood and small branch pieces in it, sizing still pretty decent. Still 150 per ton, have never had an auger problem with the woody stuff but can see why some people will hesitate. The rice pile is exposed so it will be wet, although you can quickly take a look at the coal up close and if it does'nt meet your standards , there are some other breakers close by for $29-30 more per ton.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sun. Jan. 10, 2021 1:59 am

A little late, but thanks for the report! I got by there a few times last Summer and Fall on bike rides. I was a little surprised that Premium was still going. I had wrongly heard that they went down when South Tamaqua coal pockets almost next door was closed. I remember the price sign being very low at Premium Fine. A lot of people liked the STCP coal years ago when they could get the old Co. Lehigh Greenwood to blend in. Probably tied with Pottsville area or DiRenzo for the closest actual breakers to me. Maybe 30 miles, but I don't have any way to haul enough bulk to make it worthwhile.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”