Anthracite near Ohio?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Jul. 29, 2020 8:02 am

Hi all, I am on my 6th year of burning anthracite. First year I bought 6 ton of bagged Blaschak for $300/ton. Then I found this site and Lehigh was advertising bulk rice at $120/ton if I remember correctly? Anyway I have made the trek to Tamaqua the last 4 years. I think their quality and prices are great, just not really feeling like making the 1000 mile round trip this year. With my setup I haul 10-11 ton which gets me through the season. I know all about getting a TT load and not ruling it out (Matt is getting me a price quote as we speak) but it is really hard to justify around a $5000 hit all at once. Being in Michigan I only get my coal country info here so I ask all you guys, are there closer alternatives around the Ohio border? As a lot of you know I will be feeding a AA-260 this season so I don't have a clue what my consumption will be but I will be getting Pea. Thanks in advance, looking forward to the day I fire this thing up!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Jul. 29, 2020 9:14 am

Bulk pea size...seek Amish coal dealer(s).
I would think for a 10 ton purchase it would be better price if pre-paying in April so your 10 ton allowance were known up front.
Short of being April, might talk to Bob of Bosler Brothers Middlefield, OH, He's not Amish himself but lives amoung them. He does NOT get all his TT loads early ahead of time...so might get a load sooner if pre-paid 1/2 TT load.

Go a few extra miles and to cross PA state line and sales tax is eliminated...
Amish (orders Blaschak April) Kurtz Coal New Wilmington, PA

"SEARCH" forum for Bosler...and also for New Wilmington

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Jul. 29, 2020 11:46 am

McGiever wrote:
Wed. Jul. 29, 2020 9:14 am
Bulk pea size...seek Amish coal dealer(s).
I would think for a 10 ton purchase it would be better price if pre-paying in April so your 10 ton allowance were known up front.
Short of being April, might talk to Bob of Bosler Brothers Middlefield, OH, He's not Amish himself but lives amoung them. He does NOT get all his TT loads early ahead of time...so might get a load sooner if pre-paid 1/2 TT load.

Go a few extra miles and to cross PA state line and sales tax is eliminated...
Amish (orders Blaschak April) Kurtz Coal New Wilmington, PA

"SEARCH" forum for Bosler...and also for New Wilmington
So you think I will not be able to get the amount I need this late in the pre-season? I wouldn't mind going into PA....the OH/PA line is about 1/2 way to Lehigh. I will do some searching on places above, thanks

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jul. 31, 2020 11:54 am

swyman wrote:
Wed. Jul. 29, 2020 11:46 am
So you think I will not be able to get the amount I need this late in the pre-season?
No, not that! You will get your coal, But you will diffidently pay the sellers normal MARK UP by reducing is inventory that he projected...early pre-pay should get a discount because it turns over quick w/o gouging the normal retail inventories.
By prepaying in April before suppliers place their orders one might even get a supplier not stocking PEA size to yet go ahead and order it in with his other orders...best for full TT loads of bulk or mixed/combined sizes of pallets of bagged shared to full TT load...

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”