Cornwall Coal?

the duck

Post by the duck » Wed. Jul. 15, 2020 10:55 am

Hello,
I use a Keystoker Koker Lite in my basement, and typically mix rice and buck coal from either Reading or Blaschack. There's a guy in my area selling about a half ton of buck mined/bagged by Cornwall Coal. Anyone here have any experience using this coal, and if it's as reliable as my usual two brands?
Thanks,
Matt

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jul. 15, 2020 1:29 pm

They sell good coal. If the price is right I would go get it.

the duck

Post by the duck » Wed. Jul. 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Thanks - I've never used it, so I wanted to hear if people here had good experiences with it.
Many thanks,
Matt

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Tue. Aug. 11, 2020 12:33 am

I’ve only ever bought bulk coal from Cornwall coal. I’ve never had a problem. The coal burns good. I’ve bought several pickup loads of nut and a load of rice. I’ve had 2 large deliveries, both Steve and his dad have delivered to my house. They are always very nice and a pleasure to do business with. Wether you choose to go to his yard and pick it up yourself or have them deliver, you will be satisfied.

the duck

Post by the duck » Wed. Aug. 12, 2020 9:43 pm

Thanks, I appreciate hearing what your experience has been. I bought about a half ton of Cornwall, but had never come across it before. I plan to mix it with my two other brands over the winter to try it out.
Thanks again,
Matt

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Aug. 12, 2020 11:37 pm

I have used their coal for years. It comes from an unknown source and they claim is premium. With that being said it burns like others in my Keystoker. I truly believe a true test of quality would be my old hand fed Buderus with a shaker grate. Now they have their own breaker and buy bulk coal and break and size it themselves. The new bags are different, and the coal in 3 bags that ripped/or the seam broke seem consistent. Pallets were stacked well with nice reusable plastic covers. I was able to easily move the coal by breaking down the pallets and restacking them and using the covers again.

the duck

Post by the duck » Thu. Aug. 13, 2020 12:13 am

Thanks - I bought about a half ton at a reduced price ($4.50/40#bag) from a third party seller. Some of the bags were old and others had been re-bagged, but I'm going to try and blend it with my usual mix of Reading and Blaschack. From everything I've heard here, the Cornwall burn fine. I've only been doing this for four winters now, and trying something new can feel a bit risky when I've got a pretty successful routine in place. In any case, I can spread out the half ton of Cornwall with my other three tons and hopefully won't even notice a difference!
Thanks for sharing your experience! - Matt

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Thu. Aug. 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Why not teat the New call an see how it is burning for a week Before Mixing It With Other coal .jack

the duck

Post by the duck » Thu. Aug. 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Only because I don't anticipate ever getting any more - I got it from a private seller, and my regular dealer only sells Reading and Blaschack. Figure I might as well blend it together rather than taking a chance on an unknown quantity. Thanks!

Ultralume
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant II, Godin 3720, Godin 3731
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut and Stove Coal

Post by Ultralume » Tue. Feb. 15, 2022 9:19 pm

I just got some stove coal in bags from Cornwall. I've been buying from them for years. Never had any issues. It would be nice to know which mine they are getting coal from..

the duck

Post by the duck » Tue. Feb. 15, 2022 9:52 pm

Thanks - I ended up buying the half ton and went right through it in no time without any problems. My usual supplier only sells Reading and Blaschack, so that's all I normally burn. The Cornwall was a one-time thing from a third party, but ended up working out fine. Thanks again!

greywolf224
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by greywolf224 » Sun. Nov. 06, 2022 10:25 pm

Hello looking to buy nut coal from Cornwall. Would anyone know what the going price is per bag or one thousand pounds loose picked up?

Thanks.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”