Demand for anthracite in Wisconsin?

Kylemorgan88
Other Heating: Forced air propane

Post by Kylemorgan88 » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 8:02 pm

Hello everyone. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a truck and hauling anthracite from PA to central Wisconsin. But the big question is there enough demand for it. I know we only have a few options in the state for dealers for coal stoves & boilers.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 8:08 pm

I would think if there was someone would already be doing it..

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Grumpy said a lot in just a few words.

There are a few coal dealers in WI already, plus TSC. If you could keep your price at or under 300/ton you would have buyers. Amish burn mostly nut, the rest burn mostly rice in my area which is close to WI. If no Amish are around it could be tough going unless you need quite a bit yourself to make it worthwhile.

Kylemorgan88
Other Heating: Forced air propane

Post by Kylemorgan88 » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 8:57 pm

I do have alot of amish near me. We actually bought our house from an amish family. Maybe I will talk to some of them and try to get some insight. The goal would be to sell it around $250-$275 a ton. The few places I've found seem to be at $300 a ton.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 9:32 pm

Nothin ventured, nothin gained K. Good luck with it.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 11:31 pm

300/ton has been a reasonable rate for several years here but I see it much higher in both MN and WI on CL and Facebook. If you are selling bulk, theres the weight and measure laws I dont know a lot about but if its bagged your ok. I buy my coal from an Amish man. Your Amish may or may not have a source for it. If they dont, they will jump at the chance. They can make more money working at a job to pay for coal than they will lose cutting wood. If you can find a cheap source for wood blocks, the pressed sawdust stuff, they may buy that too for their cook stoves. Treat them good and they will treat you good.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jul. 05, 2020 6:19 am

Very well said W!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
warminmn wrote:
Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 11:31 pm
300/ton has been a reasonable rate for several years here but I see it much higher in both MN and WI on CL and Facebook. If you are selling bulk, theres the weight and measure laws I dont know a lot about but if its bagged your ok. I buy my coal from an Amish man. Your Amish may or may not have a source for it. If they dont, they will jump at the chance. They can make more money working at a job to pay for coal than they will lose cutting wood. If you can find a cheap source for wood blocks, the pressed sawdust stuff, they may buy that too for their cook stoves. Treat them good and they will treat you good.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”