Delivery from Pa to Hudson Valley

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Fri. Jun. 19, 2020 11:08 am

Hello all! Can someone help me in how I would go about getting about a 10 Ton delivery of nut sized anthracite from Pa.? I get sick when I get a quote that a TT can be delivered to me for $175 a ton (zip 12561), because my driveway could not accomodate the TT with 22-25 tons of coal. I would have to go with a smaller dump truck. My local price is $260/ton and the coal he delivers is usually filled with crap.
Is this harder than I am making it out to be? I tried to messaging and calling the one trucker that I read about on this site (Justin) with no success. Who else does this? Can someone from Lehigh, Reading, Blaschak, Tamaqua line up a trucker for me? Can anyone make a recommendation? I would really appreciate any help with this. Thanks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jun. 19, 2020 11:56 am

Bob - Contact the company you want to purchase from and ask if they can help you arrange a tria-axle delivery. It might come direct, or it may be from one of their dealers.

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Fri. Jun. 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Matt from Lehigh is a member of this group. Try to PM him and he will tell you who to contact in bulk sales. I'm in the same boat as you. I live in NW CT., my driveway is 1,800ft long and I'd never be able to get a TT up to the house. I am going to see if I can get it delivered in a Tri Axle. I also got a bulk delivery from Justin 4 yrs. ago but I think that he's out of the delivery business. Let me know if you make a connection or if I come up with something I'll let you know.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Fri. Jun. 19, 2020 7:11 pm

So I'm not really familiar with any of the coal companies. I really only know the names that I read in this forum. Seems like a lot of people get their coal in Tamaqua, Pa., wherever that is. I will certainly PM Matt from Lehigh and try calling some of the other companies. I got an email quote from Reading -$149/ton with $27/ton delivery to my house in Gardiner, NY. I almost passed out when I saw $149 a ton! I would jump all over that if I could get it down the driveway, but that's not going to happen. I'll also try to call them on Monday and see if they could arrange a smaller shipment. Homesteader & Rob R , when you say a TriAxle, how much can one of those haul from Pa.?

updated 6/20/20: PM sent to LehighanthraciteMatt

Homesteader
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove
Other Heating: H.B. Smith oil fired boiler

Post by Homesteader » Sat. Jun. 20, 2020 8:30 am

Hi Bob, Tamaqua is the town where Lehigh coal is located. It's right in the anthracite belt of NEPA. Another company you could call is Blaschak coal. I've burned both Lehigh and Blaschak and like them both. As far as how many tons a Tri-Axle would hold I wouldn't know for sure but a guess on my part I'd say probably 16 to 18 tons.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 2:32 pm

I had this size truck make a delivery to me one time and it worked out okay. The only info is that the MGW is 58000.
I don't know how much of that is truck weight and how much is the load. I also don't know if the triAxles are much bigger than this or not. Does anyone have knowlegde about such things to share?
Thanks
IMG_6097.jpg
.JPG | 742KB | IMG_6097.jpg

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Typical PA tri-axle coal hauler with an aluminum bed carries around 23 ton or so, rarely maybe 24 ton at 73,280 gross PA weight. I’m not sure you will find many that have interstate license due to the weight laws, more likely would come by way of an 18-wheeler.

As Rob stated, contact the company and they may be glad to line up a truck for you.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks Coaljockey, I didn't realize the interstate thing was a factor! So it IS more complicated than I thought.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jun. 22, 2020 11:59 pm

Why not find a friendly trucking yard with a concrete pad, 10 wheeler and a loader...
A few extra bucks...
But 24 ton in your non-TT friendly driveway...
Dump it in the yard...
Then 10 wheel to your house...

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Wed. Jun. 24, 2020 8:48 pm

CapeCoaler- yeah, a friend with a truckin yard, a concrete pad, a 10 wheeler and a loader would come in real handy.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Jun. 24, 2020 10:19 pm

They don't all have to be the same friend...
LOL...
Nice BBQ and some beer can make things happen too...
If you want it it can happen just think on it...

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”