Coal size from Superior Coal Co.

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 4:41 pm

From what I have read, Stove coal measures 1 5/8-2 7/16." Nut is 13/16-1 5/8." Pea is 9/16-1 3/16", and Rice is 3/16-5/16." Once Pine Creek closed, we got our coal from Superior. Always Nut coal. This is the first year it hasn't been totally Nut coal. About 25% is Stove coal, some just exceeding 3" in diameter. As I am getting to the center of the coal bin, it seems there is a lot that is smaller than Nut coal, some even smaller than Pea coal. I'm wondering if the Stove coal is the reason I am getting bridging and have to get in there with a poker from the top of my Harman Mk 11. Never had this amount of bridging before. Anyone else get coal from Superior and what have you found this year as opposed to past years?

In years past, I just drove thirteen miles to Superior and loaded 1/2-3/4 ton in the P/U truck and then shoveled it into the skid loader and then into the coal shed. Advanced age precludes that anymore. Buddy of mine has a Harman Mk111 and burns Pea coal. He gets his in his truck. Should have asked him why Pea rather than Nut. Maybe he was also getting bridging with the coal that had a lot of Stove coal in it?

Bill

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Thu. Feb. 06, 2020 5:30 pm

I just measured some of the Stove coal. 3 1/2" on the major diameter and at least 2+" on the minor diameter.

Bill

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Fri. Nov. 20, 2020 10:57 pm

I have always thought Superior’s coal ran a little big. I have burned it several times over the years, but recently I’ve been making the trip from Tower City to Tamaqua to get from Lehigh.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Sun. Nov. 22, 2020 7:12 pm

I noticed that too as I get it from Superior for the last 14 years. Probably due to the size screening used in the breaker build.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”