New shipment of coal from Superior

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Sat. Nov. 09, 2019 5:20 pm

It was finally time to fire up the Harmon MK II today. Used last years coal. Pain in the butt, as it takes at least two hours to get the stove really working. Brought in two buckets of this years coal, which we got from Superior Coal in August. Seems to be very consistent. At least on the top. No telling what is on the bottom. Not sure, but it seems to be a bit bigger than the nut coal we have gotten in the past, but definitely not stove coal. Pine Creek went out of business a few years ago, and you can see holes in the roof where someone removed a lot of the equipment. Just wondering if Superior got all of the screens. The guy who delivers our coal said Pine Creek was the best breaker. Anyone have comments?

Bill

miner1979570
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor GJ-9R
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Nut

Post by miner1979570 » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 7:55 pm

I got a few horrible loads of rice from superior and don’t get there anymore. Pine creek I knew well. They had great coal when they bought great mine run coal but if the mine run was marginal the preparation was not great. When my father and I mined our coal went to mostly all the breakers in the area here so we bought our heating coal from most them and still do. I currently get coal at harmony mine in mount Carmel, hazelton shaft in hazelton, jeddo and Lehigh coal all burn very well but keep in mind hazelton shaft jeddo and Lehigh are over a hour away and I still make the trip to get it.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Last year Superior could not mine because of the water. Last years coal was mostly white ash and had more crap in it, it gave off a lot of fly ash. This year so far it is back to the red ash with some fusion but not enough to be a problem, I'm happy. I didn't ask but I assume that the mine is working.

A few year back something went through a zoning meeting because someone wanted to put in a coal bagging operation at the Pine Creek site. There was some activity there at the time but nothing ever came of it.

At 5.5 miles Superior is the closest breaker to me and I'm not up to traveling to try and find better. Their quality has not been consistent over the last few years but it has all burned.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 7:27 am

I don't have any skin in this Game,being from the NE Ohio! However,it breaks my Miserable Heart when I read stories like this from You NEPA Boys. Learning of what once was,and now gone,really makes me feel like I'm waitin' on a Train that has Long Ago pulled out of the Station! To me,this Board is the Ultimate Clearinghouse of what is really going on with Current Coal Quality,Availability and Pricing from the Various Sources.. Keep the News and Chatter Coming,Gang!!

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jan. 11, 2020 8:46 am

To see pictures of the mining operations of the past around here is unbelievable. The decline goes back well before my time, but that's a different topic. :cry:

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”