Kimmel Coal Quality

Legendsingray
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983 Insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut/ Anthracite
Other Heating: Electric Heat pump

Post by Legendsingray » Mon. Jan. 12, 2015 4:50 am

Just discovered Kimmel about 2 days ago. So far, so good. I was not impressed with Reading at all. 5 lbs of fines p/ bag along with at least 3-5 "rip-rap" sized stones. Can no longer get Blakshak as dealer quit selling Coal.

turbine
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hand fed coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut , stove
Other Heating: heat pump

Post by turbine » Wed. Feb. 11, 2015 10:48 pm

This is my first year trying Kimmels from Tractor Supply. I have burned 20 bags, no problems at all.
The Kimmels nut size varies more compared to Blaschak nut. That is good for me as I had to mix stove and nut to get a burn I liked when using Blaschak.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 4:55 am

Interesting point.
Early summer we purchased a truckload of coal from Penn Keystone. Since I was getting it bagged they said it would take several weeks. They arranged trucking and shipped it without any request for payment. They said they would bill us after it was delivered. It was delivered without issue and off loaded at my wife's place of work.
Finally I got around to picking some of it up. Her employer has expressed that they want it gone. I picked up 6 skids yesterday and unwrapped 2 of them which I loaded on both sides of a sliding door that coincedentially has a handicapped elevator.
The point of the post is coal purchased from Penn Keystone came in bags with Kimmel brand on it. My guess is they contract with Kimmel to bag their product.
A couple of bags had been damaged with forks from lifts. I put those to the side and brought those in to get used. Appearance wise my first impression was that the coal was a little bit larger in size than Santa coal, after scrutinizing it more thoroughly, I concluded that the coal simply had a more consistent larger size with less smaller pieces. It came packaged in durable 50 pound bags and was wet like everybody else's coal.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 6:23 am

The first load of coal I purchased was from Penn Keystone in 2008, and it was a load of Kimmel's nut coal. It was good coal, and I purchased a few loads of rice from them years later when I switched to a stoker. They were good to deal with and I think they are a great option for someone that wants to purchase a single load.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Nov. 16, 2022 8:29 am

The one ton of Kimmels I got from TSC, the pieces were a fair amount larger than Blaschak and burned real well.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”