TSC Coal Price Increase

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 5:50 pm

Just a heads up to those of you that depend on TSC coal, they changed the price according to zipcode so check the online price at your store's zipcode. $8.99/bag here :lol: They will have it in that store here for a very long time.

As many here have predicted, they just priced themselves out of selling any accept near the source. Im unsure if its cheapest near the packaging place in the south or near PA.

At least they did it in the summer so you have time to find another source hopefully, if your impacted by the increase.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 6:29 pm

I see $6.99

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 6:38 pm

The price in Delaware went up to $6.99 a bag, and the pallets I bought last year the bags had quite a bit of water, and had more shale than rice coal. Not only that, they weren't getting more than one pallet of rice coal per heating season or maybe two if they were lucky. Kimmels bags the coal for TSC and I remember reading an article last year where they were in litigation for non payment for the coal they were bagging, and that they were filing bankruptcy. Never did hear anymore and didn't follow the court proceeding. Will be interesting how this plays out for TSC and the availability of coal from them.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm seeing $6.79 per bag (before tax) for nut at my local TSC. $339.50 per ton (plus tax). No delivery option. Pick-up only.
Last edited by lsayre on Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 01, 2019 8:36 pm

I did some more zipcode checking. My super inflated price is because Im on the west side of the Mississippi river. In WI it only went up to $6.99, 80 miles from the Minnesota store. Iowa is $8.99 also. It was $6.29 any state around me a couple weeks ago. $350/ton for most of you now, plus tax in some states. Watch for those 10-15% coupons if you use this stuff!

Im glad I have other options besides TSC. I already have most of what I need this year (blaschak) but have some phone numbers of other local Blaschak dealers too.

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 8:01 am

Decided to pull the trigger and ordered 4 tons of bagged Lehigh rice coal from the Mills of Whiteford in Maryland. The price is better then TSC and they deliver. Also noticed that out of the 4 tons of bagged Lehigh rice coal, only had six bags with small holes in them, compared to a dozen bags per pallet of TSC and the bags weren't waterlogged. This should last me 2 years unless it gets extremely cold the next couple of winters.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Jul. 02, 2019 8:32 pm

I too purchased next years supply of Lehigh rice. I scored a reduced price at my local Agway because it was end of year. Quite frankly price was lower than TSC with any of their applicable discounts, including recent years offers. Happy camper here.

Seagrave1963
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC2000
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric heat pumps, propane fireplace

Post by Seagrave1963 » Tue. Nov. 19, 2019 7:03 am

Well, with the increased pricing ($6.99 per bag) I started looking around for another supplier. Luckily, I found one that delivers up to 3 tons for $60 and charges $240 per ton. We only use about 2 tons per year (yep, we're light-weights!) so this reduces the costs over TSC as well as eliminates the hassle of making 2 trips per year to pick up 100 bags and carry/stack each one twice!

TSC was $700 + time and labor and this new supplier will be $540 WITHOUT any labor! Now to see if this coal is good in the TLC2000!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”