Dry Rice Coal Needed

RFK
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Rice or Stove Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric

Post by RFK » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 9:52 pm

I will be out of coal (original 3 ton load) in about 2-3 weeks. I could use another 1/2 ton or so to get me into warmer April temps B4 shutdown. I've been buying bulk for the past 5 years from Calvin V. Lenig and have zero issues with it, but it will be sopping wet at the breaker. I can get both bagged and bulk coal within 5-10 miles from home but it will be wet as well and beaucoup expensive. I've heard on here that Superior has a chute that delivers coal w/o the final wash. How clean (fines content etc.) is this coal and how dry/damp will it be? Superior is about a 100 mile round trip for me. Any other sources I should consider? Thanks for your help.
Rick

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 10:59 pm

Only difference between wet coal and dry coal is about a day or two exposed to open air...use plastic tubs or totes to keep ahead of your consumption rate...if you use a bin, lay a couple, three 4" black corrugated with drain holes type PVC pipes across the bottom of bin before loading the coal in the bin...hole saw the wood wall and let pipe ends stick out of wall on one end or both for better circulation of air...add a fan if you like...whenever you feel like it pull out the pipes to use your shovel on the flat bottom of the bin...

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Feb. 25, 2019 11:20 pm

glen burn between mt carmel and centralia. they load from a covered pile with a bobcat. decent coal, i preferred that over sherman, and i lived 3 miles from sherman.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 6:24 am

You got caught short this year,it happens. My advice is that You go with what's worked. Follow the idea of air drying Your own. You'll do better on securing Your dry supply for next year. This will pass,and Your 'gonna be just fine!

RFK
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Rice or Stove Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric

Post by RFK » Tue. Feb. 26, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks for the tips. I know how to dry coal but was hoping to minimize the hassle if possible. Anyone else have any experience with the Superior option without the final wash?
Rick

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”