Source of Bit... south central pa

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 7:37 pm

I am going to be going out to western franklin county on the fulton county line. I am looking for somewhere I can get a few buckets of Bit to use in an old pilgrim cookstove at my cabin. I may be taking a trip out to johnstown to the flood museum also. Do any of you guys know sources of Bit that may be in and around that area? Trying not to go too far off the beaten path and not looking for a bulk amount, probably 2-3 five gallon buckets worth.

The old pilgrim has a tendency to be leaky when cold. Wood smoke will seep out of the cracks in the cook top where all the pieces fit together until it heats up. Does anyone think putting coal into this stove is a bad idea? Id be tempted to take a little anthracite with me but the grates are jacked up so they dont rotate well. I figure the bit will burn better overall in this stove. Is this normal for these old cookstoves to leak a little on the tops till they get hot or am I asking to back gases up into the cabin? I know back in the 50s and 60s they burned coal in it, but Ive never seen a coal fire in it in my lifetime.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 8:16 pm

The Fisher nut I'm burning I picked up at W. L. Hall Lime and Coal in Loysburg (5710 Church View Rd, Loysburg, PA 16659, member CoalJockey). You'll almost drive past them on the way to Johnstown depending on how you go and from where exactly.

BlackBetty06
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes good call there. I called him on the phone however and he stated that they only sell in bulk. Probably not going to work out to get 50-60 pounds. I could be wrong though. I guess I could as Coal Jockey and see. Would be pretty funny to watch a loader pull up to my truck and drop 3 or 4 five gallon buckets worth of coal in

corey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Buck Stove Hybrid
Coal Size/Type: Eastern KY bituminous

Post by corey » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 1:27 pm

See if you can hand pick some.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 6:23 pm

B.B. check your PM box

Ancient 1960 something Ford loader tractor here with a tiny coal bucket mounted on front. No request too small for the ol gal.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 7:22 pm

perfect. ill check in with you if I end up heading out that way to see if you have any in stock

artbaldoni
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak
Other Heating: O W/C B

Post by artbaldoni » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 12:35 pm

Wertz Coal Yard in Mechanicsburg usually has nut sized bit.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Interesting on Wertz. I may give them a call and see if they have any

coallover
Other Heating: gas furnace & 2 wood stoves 1 potbelly coal burning

Post by coallover » Wed. Feb. 06, 2019 12:22 am

Penn Grampian Coal Co. in Clearfield, Penn not far from I-80. He has Bituminous & Anthracite in stock. Delivery out to 70 miles. Stocks Kentucky Bituminous 1% Sulfur. https://www.penngrampiancoal.com/coal
The number is 814-765-2170 Address is 1203 Flegal Road Clearfield Pa. 16830 His hard coal is available in many sizes.

robb

Post by robb » Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 8:11 am

BlackBetty06 wrote:
Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 7:37 pm
I am going to be going out to western franklin county on the fulton county line. I am looking for somewhere I can get a few buckets of Bit to use in an old pilgrim cookstove at my cabin. I may be taking a trip out to johnstown to the flood museum also. Do any of you guys know sources of Bit that may be in and around that area? Trying not to go too far off the beaten path and not looking for a bulk amount, probably 2-3 five gallon buckets worth.

The old pilgrim has a tendency to be leaky when cold. Wood smoke will seep out of the cracks in the cook top where all the pieces fit together until it heats up. Does anyone think putting coal into this stove is a bad idea? Id be tempted to take a little anthracite with me but the grates are jacked up so they dont rotate well. I figure the bit will burn better overall in this stove. Is this normal for these old cookstoves to leak a little on the tops till they get hot or am I asking to back gases up into the cabin? I know back in the 50s and 60s they burned coal in it, but Ive never seen a coal fire in it in my lifetime.
Have you looked into Reese Coal Quarryville, PA? He will sell however much you want....has it in bags as well, which is a 5 gallon bucket

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 10:53 pm

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 8:37 am

robb wrote:
Tue. Feb. 12, 2019 8:11 am
Have you looked into Reese Coal Quarryville, PA? He will sell however much you want....has it in bags as well, which is a 5 gallon bucket
Does Reese carry Bit? I know they have Blaschak anthracite but I thought that was all they had.

BlackBetty06

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Feb. 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. FWIW Reese carries bit coal but in 10 dollar bags for blacksmithing.... so that doesnt help the situation. Didnt get as far out a somerset county to hit heritage although they looked promising. PennGrampian is about 3 hours from where I was. Also looked promising but not in the cards. When I talked to the girl at Wertz she said that all their bituminous comes in one big truck load with nothing sorted size wise. She says its usually pea sized or smaller. That blows because they are only about an hour from me.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”