where to get coal

Mattw205
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska stoker 2

Post by Mattw205 » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 8:57 am

hey guys. i have a alaska stoker 2. burns rice coal. and im wondering where the best place to get coal is. i live in pike county pa. i was driving about an hour to scranton to get coal for 170 a ton. then i was having it delivered from this place in lake ariel, which was 235 a ton delivered. that seemed to burn a bit better though. the only place close to me that sells is a tractor supply. does anyone know how the quality of there rice coal is? its only bagged coal there so its more expensive, about 300 a ton. what are the benifits of the bagged over just bulk, is it just the storage factor? im going on my 3rd full season with this stove now and still just trying to hone in on the best route here. any opinions are welcome. thanks

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 10:06 am

Lots of opinions may come, but I'll just say the the bagged rice coal from TSC gets good reveiws as for all but price.
TSC bagged Nut coal lately has been 'crap', though.

Check here w/ LEHIGH MATT for nearest Lehigh bagged dealers.
Check here w/ Blaschak for both bagged and also bulk dealers.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I used to live in Pike County. I bought coal from Whintinbrader's on Maplewood Rd. right outside of Hamlin. I probably spelled it wrong and I don't know if they are still selling coal but they were great people to deal with and they even teached me a lot about coal burning.

My personal opinion about bagged coal is that there is absolutely no advantage to it and it should be avoided if at all possible. It's expensive, wet, messy, if it travels far it can be full of wet fines, it's expensive. And, after all that you have hundreds of plastic bags you have to get rid of. Did I say it was expensive?

I am going to move this thread to the coal suppliers section.

-Don

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”