How much trash in bulk coal is acceptable?

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 8:08 am

Just got a new delivery bulk of Pea coal. My first reaction was wow that is allot of wood debris in this coal. With my auger based feed system I am concerned. How would you react to excessive wood chunks that clearly fit through the screener but weren't floated off and are potential choking hazards? Is this just normal and I've been lucky, or does my supplier (who shall yet be named until we figure this out) have a problem?
Last edited by wnycoalier on Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 8:52 am

Ideally there would be no foreign debris at all, but some amount is to be expected. I would call your supplier and ask what their specification is.

I would say if there is enough wood in the coal to cause a feeding issue, that is too much.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 9:40 am

With coal there is acceptable visible contamination such as the odd wood piece but then there can be invisible stuff such as coal that simply does not burn well. Experienced burners had suffered the fate of a bum load now and again and that can ruin a whole winter. So learn to be really picky about the supplier and the coal source. Even then as coal is a natural product there are variables and dealing with those can be an issue. However, compounded by a poor product to begin with and the rabbit hole gets deeper. I have been offered 20 tons of free coal dumped on my drive and have turned it down. Quality before price and if you look hard you can get both.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 11:39 am

I don't consider wood to be trash in coal as long as the peices are managable. I've bought bulk coal that had brake parts, electrical parts and copper wire in it. That's what I consider trash.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 12:44 pm

It's certainly more critical if you are using a stoker. Foreign matter can shut you down, break shear pins etc. I try to keep an eye out for anything in the coal as I'm loading my bin.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Wood typically comes from where they are stripping and get into an old underground mine. Glue it back together and you have genuine mining artifact on your hands.

Typically it's picked out but if a piece makes it into the crusher it turns into six gazillion pieces. Ideally it should not be in there but it happens and difficult to remove once it's crushed. It doesn't have the same BTU value as coal per pound but still has BTU value. There is no acceptable or unacceptable amount. As long as it's not a lot(and a lot is subjective) the only real concern is jamming something and I can't say I ever heard anyone mentioning it jamming something as long as it's sized.

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 8:16 pm

The issue for those of us with auger systems is that a longer piece will go through the breakers sizer, but it can accumulate and jam in the small passages of an auger.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 9:17 pm

wnycoalier wrote:
Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 8:16 pm
The issue for those of us with auger systems is that a longer piece will go through the breakers sizer....
I have an auger on the Van Wert, I've also picked out my share of wood in the coal when loading pea and nut. While I've seen longer pieces in nut and pea it was very rare to see one in the buck and rice.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Sep. 25, 2018 9:27 pm

Get a hand fed and burn everything you throw in it!

miner1979570
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor GJ-9R
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Nut

Post by miner1979570 » Sun. Sep. 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Wood in coal is hard to remove once it hits the crusher. I worked in a breaker and know the whole process start to finish from mining to the breaker end. Wood gets in the raw coal either timber being smashed and sent in the raw coal or strippings digging into old works and sending it in the raw coal and then in the breaker misses it it hits the crusher and boom a million pieces. Wood floats so when it hits the heavy media system it floats and goes with the coal. If I need to explain a heavy media and how it works I gladly will. But coal floats in it and rock sinks so wood floats and it passes with the coal and unless the breaker has a dual media system it will pass into coal and pass onto the buyer. I burn buck pea nut and stove probably soon burning rice cause a stoker change but either way coal and wood and hard to separate once mixed. I currently get all my coal at coal contractors/ hazelton shaft and haven’t had wood issues yet with it but haven’t got any yet this year.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”