Coal Trucking Costs 2018

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:31 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Wed. Jun. 13, 2018 3:21 pm
Lehigh rice has gone up from $150 for a truckload in my driveway to $170. I am not pleased as I am a regular customer. Does anyone have any ideas? I guess Matt does not care.

In 2016 I payed 170/ ton to my door, this years quote is 216/ton, a 46 dollar per ton rise which is not due only to fuel, I will say, the trucking is 30 dollars higher per ton, which again is NOT related to fuel prices, especially when the trucking company has a back haul, it hurts to have to pay another 1100 dollars a TT load. Unfortunately bulk is now not very much cheaper than buying it locally.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:34 am

There is a shortage of trucks right now, even for LTL freight.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:36 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:31 am
In 2016 I payed 170/ ton to my door, this years quote is 216/ton, a 46 dollar per ton rise which is not due only to fuel, I will say, the trucking is 30 dollars higher per ton, which again is NOT related to fuel prices, especially when the trucking company has a back haul, it hurts to have to pay another 1100 dollars a TT load. Unfortunately bulk is now not very much cheaper than buying it locally.
You are correct not all of the trucking is diesel fuel related. It is also due to the government mandated electronic logs. Nothing ever gets cheaper when the government gets involved. Also, trucking companies are busier due to the economy moving. They are not willing to work as cheaply as they did due to having more higher paying options.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:53 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:34 am
There is a shortage of trucks right now, even for LTL freight.
Come work with me for a day on 87, There is no shortage.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:55 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:36 am
You are correct not all of the trucking is diesel fuel related. It is also due to the government mandated electronic logs. Nothing ever gets cheaper when the government gets involved. Also, trucking companies are busier due to the economy moving. They are not willing to work as cheaply as they did due to having more higher paying options.
Yes the ELDs are costly, and a PIA.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:00 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 8:53 am
Come work with me for a day on 87, There is no shortage.
After I work with you for a day you need to work with me scheduling shipments and deliveries. There may be a lot of trucks on the road, but it is not adequate for the current freight load.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:02 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:00 am
After I work with you for a day you need to work with me scheduling shipments and deliveries. There may be a lot of trucks on the road, but it is not adequate for the current freight load.
That is exactly what I’m seeing...

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:03 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:02 am
That is exactly what I’m seeing...
It seems to be worse in some areas than others. Northern NY and VT seems like the end of the earth when talking to carriers.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:13 am

There is a lot of Canadian traffic as usual.

All I’m saying is I have not seen or heard of a shortage in truck traffic anywhere in New York. And I see EVERY type of truck traffic, maybe for the freight that you move rob it’s a little harder to find someone to move it. But the normal general freight, fresh produce, building materials, and heavy machinery is moving right along.

A lot of the traffic on 87 is Canadian, but they can’t do much trucking here in the US, only bring a load down, and take one back.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:16 am

hotblast1357 wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:13 am
There is a lot of Canadian traffic as usual.

All I’m saying is I have not seen or heard of a shortage in truck traffic anywhere in New York. And I see EVERY type of truck traffic, maybe for the freight that you move rob it’s a little harder to find someone to move it. But the normal general freight, fresh produce, building materials, and heavy machinery is moving right along.
It’s not a shortage of trucks on the road. It is a shortage of trucks available to move more freight

A lot of the traffic on 87 is Canadian, but they can’t do much trucking here in the US, only bring a load down, and take one back.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:37 am

I will try not to hijack the thread here but it was already going this direction.

The ELD law has just begun to force the older, more experienced drivers into retirement that otherwise would have continued to drive for a few more years. I don’t know if it is so much a shortage of trucks... the truck is now perched out along the road 35 miles from the terminal for another X number of hours waiting on the reset when the 40 year veteran driver previously would have “punched it on through”.

In the past year I have seen a resurgence of old Pete, KW and IH cab-overs sailing up and down the road again with manual controlled engines. Some of these you can tell are fresh out of the fence row but the owners are updating and restoring them to be very reliable machines again.

One old Transtar was hauling steel and as I passed him I flipped to 19 and said “Wow, buddy that sure is a nice looking old 4070!” He replied to me in a smokey old cigarette voice and I knew instantly he had been on the road for many years.

“You can shove your ELDs up your @$$!” he says.

HB you will soon have many more of these older trucks to look at up on 87. These are the guys that are still going to “make it happen” while everyone else is camped out some place along the road out of hours and the terminal down the road has 10 empty docks waiting for trucks.

Whatever.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:41 am

Even trucks are in shortage, it isn’t just drivers. My son is a designer at Mack and he indicated to me the upped their truck production from 70 trucks per day to 120 trucks per day and are still losing orders because they have a 6 month backlog on orders. When the economy rolls so does trucking.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 12:24 pm

CoalJockey wrote:
Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 9:37 am
I will try not to hijack the thread here but it was already going this direction.

The ELD law has just begun to force the older, more experienced drivers into retirement that otherwise would have continued to drive for a few more years. I don’t know if it is so much a shortage of trucks... the truck is now perched out along the road 35 miles from the terminal for another X number of hours waiting on the reset when the 40 year veteran driver previously would have “punched it on through”.

In the past year I have seen a resurgence of old Pete, KW and IH cab-overs sailing up and down the road again with manual controlled engines. Some of these you can tell are fresh out of the fence row but the owners are updating and restoring them to be very reliable machines again.

One old Transtar was hauling steel and as I passed him I flipped to 19 and said “Wow, buddy that sure is a nice looking old 4070!” He replied to me in a smokey old cigarette voice and I knew instantly he had been on the road for many years.

“You can shove your ELDs up your @$$!” he says.

HB you will soon have many more of these older trucks to look at up on 87. These are the guys that are still going to “make it happen” while everyone else is camped out some place along the road out of hours and the terminal down the road has 10 empty docks waiting for trucks.

Whatever.
There are deff more trucks older than 2000 out there now, but also a lot are running the glider kits with just a engine older than 2000.

As far as driving time, everyone is just using personal conveyance now to get to their next stop.

Don’t worry coaljockey, truckers might be whining like 2 year olds, but they are still managing just fine, and it is actually harder now to find false logs now with these ELDS and AOBRDS.

It’s all unfair and “whatever” until some trucker kills your family because he fell asleep at the wheel and put his truck through your family sedan.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Amtrak has to be broken up from the government teet and run like a business and transport could come way down. Problem is no one seems to be able to plan ahead anymore for long term. Trucks damage the road to the fifth power compared to cars. Truckers complain they pay for roads for everyone else and that is not even close to correct. Rail can ship at 1/10th the cost and close to zero road damage.

My thoughts and the numbers quite real just never talked about since the advent of 'just in time' inventory.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sun. Jun. 17, 2018 3:38 pm

“Rail can ship at 1/10 the cost and close to zero road damage.”

Perhaps true statement but long do ya like to wait?

Rail has its place but last I checked there is not a rail siding into every house/building/factory/warehouse in the US... may be awhile till that comes to pass.

I just took delivery of another 550 Ford truck and it was over 3.5 weeks from the time it left the Louisville truck plant on rail until it arrived in Bedford County... must have taken it around the Horn of Africa first.

A 3-toed sloth could have driven it here from the factory and had it here in PA 2 weeks sooner than the railroad and he even stopped for coffee and crumpets.

As far as the ELDs and sleepy trucker debate goes, HB missed my entire point so I try again. I do not condone fatigued driving in any way shape or form and I apologize if it sounded that way.

However, ELDs will not take an irresponsible driver and make him responsible, contrary to government belief. What I am talking about are the endless number of veteren drivers who were not outlaws and ran by the book (much like my family) who don’t want bothered with this electronic overreach nonsense so they choose to pursue other avenues. You do not understand what is being lost here.

Look at the bright side I suppose, there are many prospective job openings out there for even more potentially irresponsible drivers as those retire who actually know what they are doing.... I.E... the drivers who actually can tell you what a brake slack adjuster is/does let alone much less how to shift a manual transmission.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”