Sources of Bituminous Coal in Pennsylvania

coallover
Other Heating: gas furnace & 2 wood stoves 1 potbelly coal burning

Post by coallover » Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 1:20 am

Hi. Unfortunately I live near Boston, Mass. I'm in the process of refurbishing a old railroad pot bellied coal burning stove. The only coal that I have been able to find locally is Anthracite & Blacksmith pea size soft coal. It just falls through the grates. I need to find a source of some old fashioned large nut or lump size Bituminous railroad grade coal. I'd be happy to be able to buy some large slabs of it & I can break it up into smaller manageable sizes myself with a sledge hammer.
As long as it's Bituminous, lights & burns easy & makes wonderful smelling black smoke, that's the stuff I need to find. Can someone hook me up with the names & locations of some reliable soft coal dealers located in Pennsylvania? There must be some family owned / or small local company mines that don't mind selling their product by the P/U truck full, I don't mind shoveling or getting dirty.
There are a very few steam powered tourist railroads in New England, they operate more as consumers of coal rather than suppliers of coal, already struck out with them, this is why I am asking for help here. Thanks guys.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 6:38 pm

It was thought that Mary Jo Kopechne died in the back seat of Teddies car. The truth is that he found out that she was from Wilkes Barre and her family were deep rooted into coal in Lucerne County. So she was quietly disposed of. Teddy was a saint compared to the modern Boston liberals who hunt down bit coal burners and hang, draw and quarter offenders. I advise against this bit burning move and already worry about your safety.

coallover

Post by coallover » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 11:46 am

What does Mary Jo & fat Boy Ted K. have to do with coal? Yes, I'm all to aware of Teds liberal hogwash over the years & the goof balls who kept electing him to one term after another till he finally died. You are correct, the modern day liberals from my state are so far out of touch with reality it isn't even funny. Liberals are against anything & everything. I don't have anyone in either Congress or The Senate who represents my views. The last one was Scott Brown who somehow allowed the FAKE indian Liz Warren to beat him in wahat should have been a hands down for Scott. That's why I voted for TRUMP. The " War On Coal Is Over. " At least while he's in office.
I'm going to put my rebuilt pot belly stove back into action & acquire Bitum to fuel it. Already have come up with sources for the fuel.

coallover

Post by coallover » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I found a great source of both hard & soft coal in Clearfield, Pa. Only about 3-4 miles off Rt 80. The name of the company is Penn Grampian Coal Supply. Located at 1203 Flegal Rd. They have 6+ sizes of hard coal and 2-3 sizes of soft coal. The coal is stored in sheds to keep the weather at bay. The owners name is Bill White, he knows coal. I made a 900 mile round trip, with a U-Haul trailer & purchased a ton of Bituminous mixed nut/stove & large lump, for about $150.00. They deliver within a 70 mile area. I've tried the coal out, it lights easy , burns hot & the aroma is the same as if a steam locomotive were going by. It also burns nice in my outside clay fireplace with the help of a wood fire to provide hot embers as it lacks a grate. Penn - Grampian Coal Supply LLC | Clearfield, PA
https://www.penngrampiancoal.com/
814-765-2170 - Get quality coal, firewood, gravel, mulch, and topsoil from Penn - Grampian Coal Supply LLC.
‎Contact · ‎Gravel · ‎Coal · ‎Firewood

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 12:56 pm

They are over the hill and threw the woods from me.

Sounds like you got the good stuff.
High volatile and high coking stuff.
It should make real good heat and less ash then expected.

Should have picked up some local
Moshanon vein to try. Less volatile and less on coking. Plus a lot cheaper.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”