US Stove 1500

kimberlyS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove 1500 Series
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by kimberlyS » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 11:29 am

Hi All - I'm new to this coal heating world. We live in Clifton, VA (zip 20124). We are looking to get a coal furnace (US stove 1500 series), but can't seem to find an installation service around our area as well as where to buy anthracite coal in bulk (Besides Tractor&Supply :-). I searched online for both but the closest service is in Winchester who installs their stoves only, not the one you purchase online, and the price is more than double with less BTU, and not counting $800 installation service charge.

We have heat pump, and have torched about 2 cords of wood last month (brick fireplace) and have paid a ridiculous amount of money in heating bill.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 2:56 pm

I am not sure about a local coal supplier for you, but....

Have you thoroughly checked out the US Stove 1500 and its ability to burn anthracite coal? There are a few here that have them or the Hotblast unit which is similar and they have made some mods to get them to perform well. Maybe I am mistaken but I believe that furnace to be a combo wood / coal burner and the compromise seems to take away from the units ability to burn coal well.

I just want to make you aware of possible issues you may run into.

kimberlyS

Post by kimberlyS » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Thank you so much! I did more research on the US Stove 1500 and it seems that it prefers bituminous coal. For anthracite coal the size has to be in 2-5/16” thru 4-3/8”. range. That might be a draw back since I prefer anthracite coal, and stores nearby seem to carry rice and nut coals only.

I have to find a local (enough) installer, and it seems they only install certain products, I would probably have to take what they offer :-(

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 7:44 am

Is the installation work you need only to tie the duct ports on the furnace to the house ductwork or something else?

Any HVAC tin knocker can do that for you, you just need to tell him where to tie it in. It would be no different than hooking up a wood furnace to your duct.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 7:48 am

titleist1 wrote:
Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 7:44 am
Any HVAC tin knocker can do that for you, you just need to tell him where to tie it in.
If you need to tell him where to tie it in, you probably need a different HVAC guy! :D

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 1:30 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 7:48 am
If you need to tell him where to tie it in, you probably need a different HVAC guy! :D
:lol: I was thinking more along the lines of exactly where in the supply duct and where in the return duct you want the tie in. But you're right ya can't assume they know which is which and should verify that before hiring them!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 2:41 pm

kimberlyS wrote:
Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Thank you so much! I did more research on the US Stove 1500 and it seems that it prefers bituminous coal. For anthracite coal the size has to be in 2-5/16” thru 4-3/8”. range. That might be a draw back since I prefer anthracite coal, and stores nearby seem to carry rice and nut coals only.

I have to find a local (enough) installer, and it seems they only install certain products, I would probably have to take what they offer :-(
Burning large sized anthracite will not turn a Hotblast furnace into an anthracite burner !!!
They are made to burn wood or bit.

There are exceptions to every rule !!!
The exception is not with the manufactured unit...

The exception is ~~ Lightning~~~ & his exceptionally modified & glorified unit...
Few folks will tolerate the length of torture &punishment that he went thru to get his unit to the reasonable anthracite burner it is today. :)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Hi KimberlyS, how about some logistics and lay out of your home. You could have a few options you're unaware of. If you want a stove installed with a steep learning curve, go with the U S Stove 1500, if you want a hand fed stove you can master quicker than you think?...just say the word. This forum is your bounty.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:08 pm

This is my 7th season with one of these stoves. It's been my "science project" lol. I'm happy with how it performs now and have some pride with the accomplishments. I've done so many extensive modifications to it that it's not even the same stove any more.

I try to help the people that already have one but personally I wouldn't recommend a purchase.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:08 pm
This is my 7th season with one of these stoves. It's been my "science project" lol. I'm happy with how it performs now and have some pride with the accomplishments. I've done so many extensive modifications to it that it's not even the same stove any more.

I try to help the people that already have one but personally I wouldn't recommend a purchase.
From the horses mouth. Thanks for the clarity Lee, although many here enjoy your triumphs and tribulations.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:27 pm

They are known to be "problematic."

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:29 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 9:27 pm
They are known to be "problematic."
Or a good learning experience, I guess it depends on how ya wanna look at it :lol:

kimberlyS

Post by kimberlyS » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:07 am

Thank you all for useful info!! I probably should stay away from the US Stove 1500. The installer closest to us only sell the Keystoker stove. I might as well just go with it. A bit pricey, but I don't have the aspiration to become a coal furnace technician :)

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:18 am

kimberlyS wrote:
Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:07 am
Thank you all for useful info!! I probably should stay away from the US Stove 1500. The installer closest to us only sell the Keystoker stove. I might as well just go with it. A bit pricey, but I don't have the aspiration to become a coal furnace technician :)
Lightning has gone above & beyond "furnace technician"...... he has reached the status of " Furnace ENGINEER " :)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:22 am

Keystoker makes good products as do other manufacturers. Do you know if you want a hand fed furnace or a coal stoker furnace for more automated operation?

I would be thinking about the easiest ways to get deliveries of the coal to your basement while you are planning where to locate the furnace. It could make things much easier later on.

Lightning is at the Furnace Savant level with his latest Riddler improvement! :D

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”