US Stove 1500

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 9:54 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 10:18 am
Lightning has gone above & beyond "furnace technician"...... he has reached the status of " Furnace ENGINEER "
Hey now, don't engineers get a bad rap for goofy ideas? In hindsight yer right, I can relate to that :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 9:57 pm

You'll pay a little more and be glad you did. Keystoker for the win.

kimberlyS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove 1500 Series
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by kimberlyS » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks Titleist1 for your advice! I scheduled the installation service to give us a quote on the Keystoker furnace installation. It's the only product they install. I honestly don't know which is better for me; hand fed or stoker. I don't like complexity LOL, although don't mind a bit of manual labor. By the way, I love your profile description, gives me a good chuckle.

So far I could only find 2 local coal suppliers near by selling bagged rice or nut coal for $6.29 per bag. My house is about 2700 sqft not including the partially finished basement (so maybe 3300 sqft total). I wonder how much coal I would need per day. If it requires 2 bags per day then it's not much of a saving. There is no bulk coal seller in our area. May I ask where you buy your coal if you live in Cecil MD? I think it's 2 hrs drive from where we live.

Another thing is that we have a lot of tree in our yard and so lots of firewood (we do have fireplace with blower, but it requires too much work and it goes out when I'm not home). I saw that some people do burn wood in the coal furnace. Is it okay to do so?

Thanks again!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 8:49 am

I get my coal in bulk from a dealer in Quarryville PA about 40 minute drive north for me. I try to line up somebody with a dump truck and pay them for the hauling so I can get at least 6 and up to 9 ton which is what I can store here under roof. Sometimes it doesn't work out and I take my small trailer up there to get 1 ton at a time. The price per ton for me picking up bulk rice there this year is $185.

There is a coal delivery guy I see advertising on CL, Elligson Trucking, you would have to see if he would deliver to you or if its too far for him or if he isn't tagged for VA.

Some here have worked with a coal breaker directly that arranged to truck pallets of bagged. I don't remember the minimum, I think it was about 20 ton so you need the room to store the minimum delivery and would need a way to unload the pallets.

Burning wood in a hand fed coal stove is done quite a lot. I did it in the Mark III hand fed using up wood from blow downs on our property. It works well to do that in the shoulder months when you only need a shot of heat in the evening or the morning and not a long burn of a coal fire. It's not as efficiently burned as a modern wood only stove would do it but it burns. A wood fire will probably still go out when you are not home to tend it.

kimberlyS
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: US Stove 1500 Series
Other Heating: Heat pump

Post by kimberlyS » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 12:18 am

I called Elligson today and I'm waiting for his quote for delivery. He said lose coal is $235 per ton plus delivery charge. I am hoping it will be under $300 per ton then I think I can live with that. We used almost 4000 kwh of electricity last month in addition to 2 cords of wood, and only the main floor where the fireplace is located is comfortable. Novec charges about $0.12 per kwh. If we use 1 ton of anthracite per month, we would still pay less and be warmer. I think I am going with the Keystoker 105.

Would you please let me know the name of the dealer in Quarryville? I'll call to see if they deliver :) I don't think I have room for 20 tons of coal unless stored in our barn which is around 4-500 feet away from the house. That would also need a big tractor trailer and our private street as well as the side road that leads to the barn probably can't handle that.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Reeses Coal is who I buy from in Quarryville. Very good dealer, clean area where they store their coal so you don't get junk picked up in the loader but unfortunately their trucks aren't tagged for delivery to MD (or VA) that is why I go there to pick it up.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”