Coal Hauling - Weight Limits

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 5:31 pm

WOW !!!

READ THE TYPED WORDS CORRECTLY .

I said b4 that they are certified DOT cops,they check regular pickups for weight infractions,etc.,they also do DOT inspections on commercial vehicles as well....
I also said that i am well aware that they do not have to be certified to do these checks on regular pickups....

BUT, they have been & are,certified DOT cops.
Last edited by windyhill4.2 on Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Lol I completely understand what your saying, it just doesn’t chive with what’s suppose to happen.

How are they getting the pickups to a dot inspection site? They can’t be pulling in for signs or lights cuz there not in commerce, they can’t pull them over without probable cause, ( unless a cop can pull someone over just for the heck of it in PA) and they can’t pull them over roadside to do a commercial vehicle inspection cuz there not in commerce...

How is someone doing a job without having the training?

I’m obviously just very confused. Oh and I’m not a cop. I’m a truck inspector.

Mikeeg02
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old Alaska Kodiak Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Pea

Post by Mikeeg02 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 6:11 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 6:01 pm
Lol I completely understand what your saying, it just doesn’t chive with what’s suppose to happen.

How are they getting the pickups to a dot inspection site? They can’t be pulling in for signs or lights cuz there not in commerce, they can’t pull them over without probable cause, ( unless a cop can pull someone over just for the heck of it in PA) and they can’t pull them over roadside to do a commercial vehicle inspection cuz there not in commerce...

Some of this is above my head, but they literally setup on the roadside(thats where I stop to question and prod them). They can pull anyone they want over, they usually just point at you, and anyone that does not comply gets chased down by a police cruiser, which they typically have at least one on standby on site. Then the real headaches begin. Generally around here its DOT compliance officer, and they work with the State Police, they are technically two separate entities. Though some of the local townships have gotten officers "trained" and geared up to do DOT administration within their respective bureaus.

I again apologize for the commotion I have started, most of us folk here in PA have felt the repercussions of motor carrier requirements being enforced on personal business and equipment. Most often leaving a sore spot, and the term DOT. I cant imagine trying to keep up with all the regulations that seem to keep changing (or at least what they are telling us) for a fleet of vehicles within a business. At my office we basically have averaged the answers we have gotten and bought a new truck and registered it appropriately all so we can haul a 8,500 pound skid loader. We have been pulled over and sighted before. Made changes as per officers citation, pulled over again and the rules are different for this officer. All within weeks. We only have one vehicles licensed and registered to do this, because we cant afford to keep changing titles, registrations, insurances etc as per officers latest citations.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 7:22 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 6:01 pm

:what: :roll:
Commercial trucks & civilian pickup trucks including S10's ,Colorado's,Ford Ranger & others get motioned to a wide spot on the side of a 2 lane rd by DOT certified truck inspectors who are local police officers that got DOT certification.These pickup will typically have something in the bed of the truck,firewood,a wheelbarrow,some scrap metal,an appliance... etc. OR the truck will be towing a trailer,maybe only 5' x 10' with some firewood or appliances going to the scrap yard or a few mowers or ... etc.No one has said that they are doing a commercial inspection on these civilian pickups.

But, the police officers that wave them over in between doing commercial truck inspections ...

WAIT FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These local police officers have been certified as commercial truck inspectors.... comprehend ????????

THIS IS A REPEAT FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT GET IT THE 1ST TIME......

Local cops... with commercial truck inspection certification....CHECK various things with non-commercial pickup trucks & non-commercial trailers,if a non-commercial trailer just happens to be towed by the non-commercial pickup.. Things like weight (they carry portable scales)weight registration of the non-commercial pickup & non-commercial trailer if the non-commercial pickup happens to be towing a non-commercial trailer too.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Basically it sounds like they are fishing, to see if any of these small guys that are over 10,000 pounds are actually in commerce. I garuntee they are not actually weighing or inspecting anyone under 10,000 GVWR.

Which brings me to my original point way back, they are not doing commercial vehicle inspections on people that aren’t over 10,000 and not in commerce. If it appears that they are weighing the small guys, it’s only to get them over actual vehicle weight of 10,000 so that they can put them in the game if there in commerce.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 9:41 pm

It doesnt matter what they are doing or who's doing it. If they give you a ticket, it's going to cost you money. A DEEP cop can give you one in CT.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 9:51 pm

hotblast1357 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 9:25 pm
Basically it sounds like they are fishing, to see if any of these small guys that are over 10,000 pounds are actually in commerce. I garuntee they are not actually weighing or inspecting anyone under 10,000 GVWR.

Which brings me to my original point way back, they are not doing commercial vehicle inspections on people that aren’t over 10,000 and not in commerce. If it appears that they are weighing the small guys, it’s only to get them over actual vehicle weight of 10,000 so that they can put them in the game if there in commerce.
You are denser than the hardest rock on earth!!! I think you are just trying to piss anyone off who posts anything different than what you think is how everything in life works.

How many S10 pickups have you seen that gross over 10,000# ?? Ranger pickups or F150 ????

Their portable scales can weigh a pickup weighing 7,000# gross ,yet only registered for 5,000# gross,etc...

I never said they were doing commercial inspections on non-commercial vehicles..
I said that these local police officers who are DOT certified are pulling no-commercial pickups over to check them.... weigh them if loaded heavy.. etc..

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:03 pm

I never said the truck alone weighs over 10,000, I’m talking in combination. It doesn’t take much to make 10,000 with a truck and trailer.

Well then why would you bring this up IF we where talking about commercial inspections?? This is what we are talking about isn’t it? The whole point of all of this was about the COMMERCIAL VEHICLE REGULATIONS.

Seems like I’m talking about apples and your talking about oranges.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:12 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 3:32 pm
13 yrs over the road driving over 1.5 million miles,i was thru many DOT inspections in many states. I can't recall arguing with any of those DOT officers even when they were wrong.
Now like an idiot i am arguing with a DOT occifer who thinks he knows all.

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I argue with people every day that think they know the rules and regulations also, which is quite funny cuz they just make stuff up, they’ve never even opened a book.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:27 pm

LOL...
Love this thread...
Lived in a bunch of states...
NJ, MA, NH for the most part...
Cousin worked for NY RMV...
I think the confusing part is most states have adopted the fed name DOT...
They used to be called RMV, Registry of Motor Vehicles, now Department of Transportation here in MA...
In MA The State Troopers had/have a special task force that did/does truck stops/checks...
they even built a special weight area for it on a fed highway, RT 6, Here on The Cape...
Part of a fed money grab back in the day...
Have not seen it in action for many years...
State Troopers with the portable scales did the commercial scale work...
Some times they would also wave over non commercial trucks if they were sketchy looking...
And enforce non commercial state regs...
On The Cape we have The National Park...
This gets fun...
The 'Park Rangers' are actually Federal Officers...
If they ticket you, you go in front of a Federal Judge...
They can give you a speeding ticket or citation for any motor vehicle infraction...
They do not carry scales...
Take my advice if you ever get a parking ticket...
Even with pictures and diagrams...
Proving you were legally parked...
Just pay the fine...
Fed Judges have no sense of humor...

hotblast1357

Post by hotblast1357 » Tue. Jan. 09, 2018 10:38 pm

Yes, and idk why people even call us DOT??? Lmao I’m department of transportation? Lol just a nick name that’s stuck I guess. my job title is motor vehicle inspector technically, NY has adapted the fed regs which is also why I as a New York State employee trained and certified can enforce the federal regulations. The NYS troopers also have a unit called the commercial vehicle unit, we are both trained in the same class room by the same People, we work together roadside at designated sites, and also drive around road side doing truck inspections. Only difference is they need probable cause to stop someone, i on the other hand can request them to stop someone for me without probable cause. Unless of coarse it’s a setup road check, with the signs and or flashing lights.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”