Direnzo water content?

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 9:09 am

Hello all,

Not sure if this is where to put this or not, but here goes.

Bought a load of Direnzo pea last winter, and by the time I got back home (2-2.5 hours), it had frozen solid in the truck bed. Was able to offload maybe a half ton, had to park the truck inside my brothers service garage overnight to thaw and dry the rest. Needing more this weekend, and they’re calling for 11 as a high on Saturday. Called Direnzo, hoping it is washed as it comes down the chute and can simply buy it unwashed, but they said it is already washed sitting in the bin :(.

So, does anyone have anything that’s worked for them to keep this from freezing? Know Mother Nature is what she is, but figured I’d ask. Last load wasn’t tarped (I know, I know :D). Not sure if covering it to keep the wind from swirling over it would help or not, being ambient temps will be that low. Quickest I can get it home would be 1.5-2 hours probably...

Also, anyone know if the old UAE/Harmony site is still selling? Bought from them back in 2014 after they changed to Mallard, haven’t been back since trying Direnzo. May be an option also, since theirs isn’t washed.

Any tips appreciated, thanks!

Joe

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 9:38 am

Even in the summer time rice coal on a stock pile is still going to have moisture in it. If you have enough 5 gallon buckets put them in truck beforehand. Just make sure it isn't piled up too much so you don't have a huge frozen chunk covering them . Also make sure the bed is clean, debris and dirt can make any ice that forms very difficult to remove.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 9:42 am

my rice coal always froze on the way home from the breaker....only about 8" deep tho......it was good because i could get more coal on the truck hehe.......got 1930 lbs on the back of my 86 toyota, but only once, it was spilling over the side of the bed lol.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 9:59 am

I'm thinkin ya answered your own question J. MALLARD or somebody else. I know I wouldn't want to be messin with an ice block every week or so. BLASCHAK bulk comes pre oiled & I've never had a freezing problem in my outside bins.

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:01 am

Thanks guys.

Good to know on the Blaschak. There’s a supplier close by that deals their stuff, but it’s almost $100/ton more than if I go get it. May be the price you pay I guess lol.

Joe

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:07 am

J, it's the deadv of a cold snap plus, ya get what ya pay for for the most part. Mine this yr delivered (NUT) was $230.00 per. I'm in Central NYS.

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:16 am

Oh wow, I think I was quoted $240 PICKED UP last year, but that was the local supplier who is dealing Blaschak...

Joe

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:22 am

You're Gonna Hate Me,And I'm Most Definitely NOT Trying To Be A Smart Ass....

Good God,Man ! Why are You dealing with this now ? Most Folks traditionally buy during the Off Season for avoiding this problem,plus they avoid Weather/Panic and Seasonal Demand spot pricing. I can understand fully if Economics and Available Fuel Supply Money Troubles is causing this. I don't think anyone here has cash squirting out of their ears !

Being water is used,You've got a problem. I'm afraid all you can do is get it thawed out and bucket/feedbag it. We see complaints like this alot during the hard coldsnap years. Direnzo's Rocks,and I'm amazed that they haven't shut down due to the weather fighting them. See if You can't start squirrelling away a ton or two at a time starting this Summer,and Your freeze troubles will be over,My Friend !!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:25 am

jschaefer7406 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:16 am
Oh wow, I think I was quoted $240 PICKED UP last year, but that was the local supplier who is dealing Blaschak...

Joe
joe where are you located?

i moved to berks county and was expecting to get a small tailer and make trips of 2 tons a time. i don't think it would be worth it tho,the nearest breaker to me now is 53 miles each way.

i found a coal dealer in bethel pa. countryside coal.
they sell blaschak coal.

i bought 4.37 tons of rice coal and it came out to 198 a ton delivered.
my cousin got 2.5 tons of stove coal and he paid 204 a ton delivered
he told me they wanted 260 for one ton delivered......cannot blame them....diesel fuel is not cheap!

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:34 am

Thanks guys :)

Bob, no offense taken haha. Honestly, summer is a busy time with vacationing, etc and it just gets away from me. Plus, cash allocated to other things that time of year. My bin only holds ~3 ton also, so even if full in the summer, I’d likely have to run during the cold season at some point anyway :(

Honestly, last year was the first I’d had that trouble, and I’ve been running in winter since 2012. See your point, though ;)

Lincoln, I’m near Williamsport, PA

Joe

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:45 am

I don't like dirty dusty coal so washed is A ok for me (thats why I like Direnzos :yes: ) but I do get it during the fall before it gets cold, I oil my coal as I put in the bin for dust control and I'm sure it helps with freezing also as it never has froze on me yet!

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:50 am

Yeah, most prefer it washed I guess. Doesn’t matter to me, as my furnace and bin are in the cellar. Dry actually makes LESS mess for me, wet splashes the siding and stains as it goes down the chute.

Understand why most with a stove in the living area like it washed/oiled though.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 5:29 pm

jschaefer7406 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 10:50 am
Dry actually makes LESS mess for me, wet splashes the siding and stains as it goes down the chute.
Make a cardboard cutout and tape it to the siding. It shouldn't "stain" it but that can very difficult to get off especially after it has dried for a few days. That dust is so fine it gets into every nook and cranny, it's small enough it will get into your fingerprints and they need a good scrubbing to get it out.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 5:59 pm

For our retail yard here we will not buy a pound of anthracite unless it is washed as it is being loaded on one of our tri-axles. Yes, wet coal is a headache to deal with when the temps go down in the single digits but we feel that stockpiled coal contains waaaayyyyyyy to much fines due to the extra handling. Most of our customers understand and adjust accordingly.

I understand the pressures during the Summer months when it is hard to justify dealing with it then, but if you want clean coal that will not freeze, that’s the only way to do it. If you choose to go the stockpile route in order to get dryer coal just be cautious about it because I garuntee it will have more of a content of “dirty coal”. For some customers stove/boiler setups the dirty coal will cause far more problems.

Just like Bob, not trying to be smart but bring to light the entire situation. :out:

jschaefer7406

Post by jschaefer7406 » Tue. Jan. 02, 2018 6:01 pm

No offense taken, Tyler. All good points 👍🏻

And Richard, that’s a good idea, thanks!

Joe

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”