Stove Coal: High in Fines???

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 5:18 pm

I think the bottom line is, if don't want any fines you'll have to go to the breaker and pack it yourself lol
Otherwise find a way to use the fines...

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 5:27 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 4:44 pm
I burn nut coal and had an issue with fines at the end of last season.
One thing to remember when you get to the end of the season it's usually where the coal was coming off the chute or you were putting it into the bin, that is where you are going to find most of the fines. The larger rounder pieces roll off the top of the pile onto the edge.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 5:27 pm
One thing to remember when you get to the end of the season it's usually where the coal was coming off the chute or you were putting it into the bin, that is where you are going to find most of the fines.
Yeah that's exactly how I find it too.
Right underneath the coal chute door are where the fines and smaller pieces are concentrated.

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Anytime we load coal that will be stocked at our own yard, we only load directly out of the breaker as it is washed. Dad refuses to bring in any anthracite that was previously stockpiled and the main reason for this is due to the fines. This might seem like an echo to what Richard provided, however it cannot be said enough — The more times coal is handled, the finer it will become.

Once here at the yard, all coal is stockpiled on the ground in Jersey barrier bins but as we load we stay off the bottom with the loader bucket and sift the fines out with a shovel. This includes the smaller stoker coals as well. The larger nut and stove sizes we are extremely careful to stay off the bottom in order to get the customer the best load. There will always be a certain percentage of fines unless your coal has come directly off the wash chute at the breaker.

This is in no way intended to be an advertisement for W. L. Hall, but rather just to show some precautions that should be taken at the retail yard in order to get a good product to the customer. Preparation of the coal at the plant is 9/10ths of the battle. The other part is buying from a dealer who goes the extra mile for a product as clean as possible. As far as the bags go... cannot help much there as we don’t sell them here.

A new customer is an awesome thing but a repeat-customer is even better. :yes:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Scott, I like any stove that works well & I don't constantly have to mess with.
scalabro wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 3:50 pm
I agree Fred, a Crawford Baseburner with eat up anything. I thought you liked steel boxes though :lol:

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 6:27 pm

Just teasin FF!

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 6:44 am

This is bagged coal directly from the mine so handling should be a minimum. I have my own gravel pit and screen gravel out of it with a loader on occasion so I understand pile slump, and the screening process overall; so I know that is not the problem.

I think they had a major breakdown at the breaker though. I say this because as I was screening out the fines out of my coal, I found a welder nozzle in the coal. I am sure they were having problems with the screening or bagging process and had to do some major welding; and hey, those things happen I know.

It seems it was just a bad batch of coal. I am not sure how much stove coal the store I have been getting my coal from sells. I suspect they got a truckload from the same batch and why there are so many fines in it. I'll just see if I can find a different store that sells stove coal; a rather rare size of coal here as not many places carry it.

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 6:59 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Dec. 09, 2017 3:20 pm
All this screenin & way to many fines you're all whining about--the only iron clad solution I can come up with is--get a real stove! Problems solved. .>)
This has been one of the best coal stoves I have ever had actually. Your suggestion is kind of silly because it is like buying gas at a gas station where ground water is seeping into the tank and suggesting a person buy a Chevy instead of a Ford because it can magically burn water. That may be so, but that is not the best way to cure the problem.

My skidder says it best: stamped into the fuel tank cap it says: "Buy Clean fuel, keep it clean."

Coal is sold by size, and while there is going to be a certain amount of debris from handling for sure, 15% is excessive. I would not consider a earthwork contractor whining if I gave him 1-1/2 inch minus gravel with 15% of 3 inch rock in it, and the contractor complained.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 16, 2017 7:23 am

Didn't mean to get your pantys in a knot NS--My message was not directed at you personally--you've been on here long enough to know the chances of bagged having lots of fines is way greater then bulk. My wondering is--why don't you do bulk, all this land you got, build a bin, and don't know how far your supplier is, mines around an hr away but I damn sure go look & see what I'll be getting. Tough with bagged. You said with BLASCHAK (bagged) you didn't have this problem--what happened? Better deal? Don't know why you don't want to mention the brand so other people don't have to go through this??

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Fri. Aug. 10, 2018 7:21 am

I received a terrible load of fines about 3 years ago. I had to sift the last 2 tons of coal in my bin just to be able to use it. I got 800 pounds of fines. The dealer (only bulk delivery in Northern NY state) gave me a refund for the 800pounds but I had to carry up from my basement bin by myself to return it. Next load I got was good, but the load after that had very high iron content. It noticed right away that the coal was hard to light and keep burning. It produced clinkers like crazy. Totally unusable. The dealer agreed to take it back and I greed to help get the coal out of my basement. Now picture this; the dealer, his brother and a part time employee and I, carried 5 tons of coal in 5 galon pails up the stairs and out into a dump trailer. AND at 66 years of age I was the youngest of the crew. I told the dealer that we should have an ambulance on site. LOL. There is no other bulk delivery within a reasonable distance. I am not able to handle 40 or 50 pound bags of coal repeatedly. I have sold my loyal Hitzer, and put my old Jotul #3 woodstove back in my house. I plan to use it as backup heat and an occational "cozy fire". I have an oil furnace in the basement, for regular use. Oh the concessions we must make for old age!

Volatile
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Thermomax
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous

Post by Volatile » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 7:06 pm

It seems like some stoves handle fines better than others. The stoves that handle fines better probably have more draft or are forced draft. Size of stove could be a factor as well(more fire mass). I've put 20-30 lbs of mostly fines on the fire before and as long as I had a good coal bed and good air flow it burned just fine.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 8:16 pm

A few years ago one brand of bagged coal I got had a lot of fines, I use nut and had to screen this using a sloped 1/2" hardware cloth to screen it before I burned. My dealer also provided a discount for the aggravation and lost usable coal.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”