Cannot locate anywhere to buy coal stove from with delivery! -Ticonderoga NY

BabyItsColdOutside
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Other Heating: No heat at the moment

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi all, and please direct me to an appropriate forum if this is in the wrong place, I am brand new here.

So, I am looking to make the leap to coal. I decided on a Hitzer 50-93. I called every "Authorized dealer" within 100 miles of me and 1. Could not find any of these in stock 2. The shops would not deliver even if they did order one for me, which they seemed pretty sketched out about (immediately told me there are great pellet and wood stoves in stock, no thanks to that right now.) Now, I've seen the couple of websites out there, looks like Lehmans could potentially deliver, better price than CJs where the markup seems outrageous. However, I don't trust it and haven't seen any posts about buying these stoves online and getting them delivered. I am in a bind, winter is around the corner and I have zero heat source in this fixer upper. (Space heaters - out of the question.. )

Thank you all in advance for connecting me to some resources/people/shops/whatever will get me moving forward in the quest for coal. P.S. I am in Ticonderoga NY, 1 hour north of Lake George and 1:15 south of Plattsburgh, 1:30 east of Lake Placid, to put my location in perspective.
Last edited by Richard S. on Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Coal Prices, Coal Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries and Reviews

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Call Tri-County Coal at 845 279 2046. They are located in Carmel NY and sell Hitzer stoves. A machine will answer so push the right buttons to speak with someone. Call on Wed, Thurs, or Friday because they are on summer hours.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 2:39 pm

If that doesnt work and if you have any Amish around you, they are sometimes dealers or could order for you and Im sure you could arrange to have them carry the stove into your house for a price.

You could also call Hitzer and ask them. The owner usually answers and they likely know which dealers you would need to contact.

BabyItsColdOutside

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Thank you much, will give that a go

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 3:13 pm

If you do not have a dealer in your area that will sell you a coal stove, Hitzer will sell it to you directly. I live 20 minutes North of Plattsburgh, and have purchased two Hitzer stoves direct from the factory. They shipped them right to our farm on a pallet.

If you do not have equipment to unload a pallet/stove from a truck, perhaps you have a local business that would take delivery for you...then you could pick up the stove with a trailer, etc.

BabyItsColdOutside

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 3:18 pm

No kidding! I'd just call Hitzer directly and place an order?

Also, what you are saying is that I'd basically need a forklift to get it off their truck (aka they won't place it on curb?)

BabyItsColdOutside

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 3:32 pm

I called Hitzer, and the owner was extremely reluctant to ship to me, said he does not like to do that if there is a dealer within 200 miles from me. I explained that the only dealer who would deliver (which I found today - Adirondack Stoves) is about 2 1/2 hours away and it would definitely be less than cost effective.

He said he would get in touch with me tomorrow.. we'll see what happens :?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 3:53 pm

I think that stove is around 500 pounds is why you want a forklift. Dont quote me on that weight. You could lighten it up a little by taking a few parts off.

BabyItsColdOutside

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Definitely aware of the weight, just wondering if I'd need to lift pallet off their truck to place on the ground, IF they will even deliver.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 4:24 pm

If the truck has a liftgate you should be all set. They should be able to roll it out with a pallet jack. If not, you'll need something that can lift it or a loading dock.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 7:56 pm

i had several pleasant PM's with BICO before she posted for more direct help.

she has had alittle pellet experience this spring that went nowhere fast, surprise......

will be needing good advise on chimney prep and probably help with a hook up, heat shields, floor protection, dampers, CO monitors etc. etc. since the stove shops near her won't even drop off a stove if she bought one. :eh:

out on a limb on her own.

does Tri County Coal also sell and deliver coal she's going to need a fuel source.

great chance for some one to feather their karma by being a coal hero :angel:

steve

BabyItsColdOutside

Post by BabyItsColdOutside » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks Steve :) I am pretty much open to offering free rent for help with it at this point :D

Tri-County is 3 1/2 hours away. I narrowed it down to TSC and Champlain Coal (very close) and will keep looking out for more sources that would actually deliver coal vs. having to pick it up.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 8:06 pm

KingCoal wrote:does Tri County Coal also sell and deliver coal she's going to need a fuel source.
Tri-County only delivers locally. Ticonderoga is about 300 miles away. They are the only old time coal yard I know of in the area.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 8:22 pm

yeah, that was something i brought up in the Pm conversations

strange as it may seem it may not be possible to get a stove and fuel in her area :o

steve

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Jul. 24, 2017 8:32 pm

BabyItsColdOutside wrote:Thanks Steve :) I am pretty much open to offering free rent for help with it at this point :D

Tri-County is 3 1/2 hours away. I narrowed it down to TSC and Champlain Coal (very close) and will keep looking out for more sources that would actually deliver coal vs. having to pick it up.
great, at least you can get fuel even if it's just buckets or a few bags at a time.

hope you can get it to come together,
steve

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”