TSC 2017-2018

uggabugga
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: Harman Hearth Hero

Post by uggabugga » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 10:38 am

coalfan wrote:
Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 8:35 am
that mess can be reburnd i did it in the past almost look like the bit coal i had at one time / but it will burn for you but you shouldnt have to buttttt there it is hope it works out for you !!
Since I'm pretty cheap, when I have to do a full clean out like this, I pick through it and save back the stuff that looks like rock on the outside but is carbon inside. Usually you can break it apart by hand.
But not this stuff. I took a chisel to a few pieces and the vast majority was plain old rock.
I'm jealous of all these stories about rarely or never having to do a full clean out.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 11:50 am

uggabugga wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 10:38 am
I'm jealous of all these stories about rarely or never having to do a full clean out.
See if you can get your hands on some Lehigh or Blashack coal. ;) There are others too that get high regard.

uggabugga
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95
Other Heating: Harman Hearth Hero

Post by uggabugga » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Lightning wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 11:50 am
See if you can get your hands on some Lehigh or Blashack coal. ;) There are others too that get high regard.
Not easily done in central MD I'm afraid. what I'm currently burning that I had delivered new years eve was 235/ton plus 100 delivery. It's still vastly better than this last go-round of TSC coal.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 7:31 am

uggabugga wrote:
Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 5:38 pm
Not easily done in central MD I'm afraid. what I'm currently burning that I had delivered new years eve was 235/ton plus 100 delivery. It's still vastly better than this last go-round of TSC coal.
Uggabugga, You are only an about an hour away from access to Lehigh bulk or bagged coal. The Mill in Harford County sells both. PM me if interested and I'll give you some guidance.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 7:40 am

Lightning wrote:
Fri. Feb. 02, 2018 5:10 am
That's good to know! I see a stoker boiler of some sort in my future at some point ;)
So you have caught the stoker boiler fever! Get a "flue shot" quickly or you might end up with a boiler farm like Stokerdon. :lol:

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 8:33 am

coalkirk wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 7:40 am
So you have caught the stoker boiler fever! Get a "flue shot" quickly or you might end up with a boiler farm like Stokerdon. :lol:
"Boiler Farm" that's gonna stick :lol: :yes: I can see it now... the next coalpail meetup at "Stoker Don's Boiler Farm and Home for Retired Stokers" :out:

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 8:43 am

coalkirk wrote:
Sun. Feb. 04, 2018 7:40 am
I've paid my dues with running the hand fed lol. Although I do love taking care of my fire. After installing a stoker boiler I'll need a hand fed free standing stove in the living room so I can continue that passion when I feel the need.

A stoker boiler makes sense because there is more I can do with it. I'd like to be able to heat DHW and hot tub 100% with coal to cut the electric bill even further. Electric here is 15 cents per KWH sometimes more. Maybe even put in a heat exchanger for my pool so I can extend the pool season a couple weeks at the beginning and end. My new living room which was converted from a garage has a not so optimal heating arrangement currently. I only have forced air access to it at the ceiling level and then use a ceiling fan to mix the heat up in the room. As you can imagine, it seems a little breezy in there sometimes. Fin tube around the bottom perimeter of the room would alleviate that. Also, I'd like to have a zone upstairs since I don't have any heat runs up there. When it's really cold outside the upstairs is usually 2-3 degrees cooler. There are only 2 medium sized bedrooms upstairs. So overall I can see a lot of benefits to having a stoker boiler, not to mention less work and monitoring involved. It's a win win situation.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sun. Feb. 11, 2018 10:11 am

I picked up some 'nut from TSC yesterday to try in the antique. I have been running stove size without an issue but the supply was running low. I added 20ish pounds last night and so far so good. The differences are noticed first by sight as the 'nut calms the fire as it should because of the smaller pieces but the heat output is there and I was able to lower the temp of the stove a little more than with the stove size. The outside temps are warmer, (30), so the timing was good. The coal was very clean, dry, and uniform in size. My store is 500 yards from my house and they have an endless supply of the filthy black rocks that folks turn their nose up at as they scurry for the less than pellets lol!

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. Feb. 17, 2018 10:17 am

I see the new TSC bags say it comes from Trevorton PA is that still Reading????

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Mar. 08, 2018 5:13 am

Well I must say it's been a great season with this TSC. I don't know who mines it for them etc. but it's A1 stuff. I had only one or two bags with a couple of larger chunks to block the feeding opening. Not soaking wet coal at all and no fines at all. Hopefully next years batch will be the same.
On a side note I've been burning 24/7 since Oct 1st and will probably be until mid or late April.. last season I did or had to.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Mar. 08, 2018 11:37 am

captcaper wrote:
Thu. Mar. 08, 2018 5:13 am
Well I must say it's been a great season with this TSC. I don't know who mines it for them etc. but it's A1 stuff. I had only one or two bags with a couple of larger chunks to block the feeding opening. Not soaking wet coal at all and no fines at all. Hopefully next years batch will be the same.
On a side note I've been burning 24/7 since Oct 1st and will probably be until mid or late April.. last season I did or had to.
Good to know/hear that their RICE is good...their NUT is not so good...more like a blend of Range coal. Good amount of fines, rice, pea and plenty of same sizes of shale pieces all with an occasional grate jamming stone. :roll:

ottobody
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Lil heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS comfort max 75
Coal Size/Type: Rice, nut
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ottobody » Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 5:56 pm

TSC rice and nut coal is $5.29 bag. Went to buy a pallet, but they only had 42 on hand. Received 5% discount on a pallet and had a 10% coupon from neighbors club which expires tomorrow, so the total for 42 bags was $199.50. Couldn't pass it up for that price. Sale I think ends tomorrow, but not sure.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Otto.

I went on their site and they had it in stock at my close store for 5.29/bag. (a store that said they wouldnt get anymore but have twice) You can now buy it online too, but only at the stores its in stock at. Kind of a way to reserve it.

archangel_cpj

Post by archangel_cpj » Sat. Mar. 10, 2018 9:41 pm

See now Ive had GREAT luck with their nut coal this year... I got 2 skids my local store had last April for 150 each it was OK stuff lots of fines and cold burn some bags were great inconsistant was the word.... Well a colder winter had me short this year so I bought 20 bags a month or so ago of this uears stock WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE its sized all same and burns way hotter and just as long... As I said in above post different town in PA its sourced from... Now I have to drive 31 miles Monday to get 12 more bags to get me through March and onto April where Ill use wood for shoulder weeks... Next year is 3 tons.... I wish their were a place to get Leheigh around NE Ohio but Blashak is it and nearest store besides TSC is 50 plus miles... So I hope TSC keeps carrying it...

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Mar. 13, 2018 2:43 pm

With more and more stores only carrying pellet stoves and pellets they would be doing the USA citizen a great justice by carrying Coal. Screw the Oil Companys out of USA and in USA. They bumped up there pricing this past year alot.. for what reason? screw them.. TSC keep the machine rolling for us.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”