Visit to Gale Mining Yesterday

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Fri. Apr. 21, 2017 1:10 pm

My son and I stopped in at Gale mining to meet fifthg . We were on our way home , driving Rt. 81 north from Carlisle.
Fifthg is a member here and a really good guy . We got to see the inside of his breaker house and look over the coal sizes he had in stock .

The coal was nice and clean, shiney, no junk, and easy to get to. I liked the sizing , he can load up to 18 tons directly from the breaker. So it never has to be handled twice.

Great ppl and place to pick up some quality coal. Only a mile off Rt. 81.

Dave :yes:

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Apr. 21, 2017 8:40 pm

I have never been there,i always send my farmer friend with his truck to pickup coal.I have talked extensively on the phone with fifthg,always enjoy talking with him. I have now burnt 30+ tons of Gale coal,most of it the large rice mix,some nut size also. I will continue to buy my coal from Gale as long as the quality continues as it is currently. Great folks with great prices on great coal.
Your post verifies all that.

coalusermd
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS1600
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anthracite
Other Heating: Geothermal

Post by coalusermd » Sat. Sep. 16, 2017 11:02 pm

My son and I drove up from Frederick MD today to pick up or first ever load of coal directly from Gale Mining. I had previously been purchasing bagged from TSC

I chose Gail Coal initially because of the excellent reviews. In adfition the owner fifthg had posted some great information concerning coal mining and the inherent variability in coal.

My PM to the owner Fifthg was promptly returned and he assured me he would be awaiting my arrival. Which he was.

Accessibility to the breaker was excellent via a very short trip from I81 on excellent roads. I was pulling a borrowed 3 ton dump trailer with my new gmc canyon duramax diesel and I was a bit nervous. I need not have been.

We were greeted, weighed and loaded promptly. Since I was curious about seeing the inner workings of processing the coal I asked if we could possibly tour the facility. I also wanted my 16 year old son to see the process.

Fifthg took time to explain each step of the process so we could understand how each step improved the final product. It was evident that there was pride in personally producing a great product. No corporate shinnanigans or short cuts. The coal was much cleaner than the bagged coal I had been using.

I got my 3 tons of coal safely home and look forward to my first fire using coal processed by Gale mining. I will followup with a burn report once it gets cold in Western Maryland.

Winter, I can not wait till it gets here.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Sep. 17, 2017 9:00 am

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

coalusermd

Post by coalusermd » Sun. Sep. 17, 2017 8:33 pm

Loading my Gale Nut coal in to sred bag super sacks.

Attachments

2017-09-17 20.28.14.jpg
.JPG | 140.6KB | 2017-09-17 20.28.14.jpg

Hootyburra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Hootyburra » Sun. Sep. 17, 2017 9:05 pm

I made a trips to Gale mining a few weeks ago, extremely pleased with the entire experience. Excellent service and easy loading.
Owner, I assume, helped me seal the gate of my trailer with some scrap material he had laying around and had some good conversation.

I have been burning coal from Calvin Lenig for the past few years with no problems, just wanted to try something different.

Ready for the colder temps to set in so I can fire up and try some different coal I've read great things about.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Sep. 18, 2017 2:46 pm

coalusermd wrote:Loading my Gale Nut coal in to sred bag super sacks.
Nice! Is that being done right at Gale Mining?

coalusermd

Post by coalusermd » Tue. Sep. 19, 2017 11:30 am

lsayre wrote:
coalusermd wrote:Loading my Gale Nut coal in to sred bag super sacks.
Nice! Is that being done right at Gale Mining?
No but they can put the super sack on skid loader with a fork lift and fill it. I would put it on a pallet to make moving it easier

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 5:24 pm

This morning 23 tons of buck from fifthg (Gale mining), showed up about 6:30. I called on Monday , they set up the trucking for me , (Jeffery transportation). It was easy and I got a load of clean nice looking coal. They break, size, and fill. So no fines from the loader scooping the bottom of a pile.

It was 165.00 per ton including trucking to Eastern Ct. I'll let you know how she burns after a bit. Loved the first batch we brought home in the spring on our way from a Pa. trip to the car show.

Dave

Ps. Thanks for the tip WH. !

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Dave 1234 wrote:
Fri. Oct. 06, 2017 5:24 pm
This morning 23 tons of buck from fifthg (Gale mining), showed up about 6:30. I called on Monday , they set up the trucking for me , (Jeffery transportation). It was easy and I got a load of clean nice looking coal. They break, size, and fill. So no fines from the loader scooping the bottom of a pile.

It was 165.00 per ton including trucking to Eastern Ct. I'll let you know how she burns after a bit. Loved the first batch we brought home in the spring on our way from a Pa. trip to the car show.

Dave

Ps. Thanks for the tip WH. !
You're welcome !! Good to see that you got a worthwhile supply of good coal on hand now.
I got 22.65 tons of the Gale large rice delivered Sept. 26 by Underkoffler trucking. Total cost including trucking = $158.54/ton.
This is a 1 yr supply for me.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”