UAE Coal Quality/Quantity

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 9:12 am

I've been getting UAE/Harmony coal for years and IMO it always used to be the best coal around. The last 4-5 tons I have burned seems to be of lesser quality though. Additionally, I'm wondering if there is any relation between coal quality and weight. I've noticed that 2 tons of this lower quality coal does not fill my bin up like 2 tons of the good stuff did. I know the deep mine that they had been getting from is no more, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed similar quality issues over the last 1-2 years.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 9:33 am

As you mentioned, UAE Harmony mine shut down a couple years ago, and the company folded. Whomever is now selling coal at that location, they are getting it from somewhere else.

I agree, it was the best (that I've used, at least).

In my personal experience, the less dense the anthracite, the better the "burn" quality (though not perhaps the analytical quality). And full pails of Harmony weighed less than anything else I've tried (Which is only Blaschak and Stockton). Blaschak is in the middle as to full pail weight, and Stockton pails weighed a bunch more.

I believe the less dense stuff is generally favored in stokers, and the really dense stuff is often favored in hand fed stoves, so my perspective here is likely biased.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 1:37 pm

lsayre wrote:...8< ...
In my personal experience, the less dense the anthracite, the better the "burn" quality (though not perhaps the analytical quality). And full pails of Harmony weighed less than anything else I've tried (Which is only Blaschak and Stockton). Blaschak is in the middle as to full pail weight, and Stockton pails weighed a bunch more.

I believe the less dense stuff is generally favored in stokers, and the really dense stuff is often favored in hand fed stoves, so my perspective here is likely biased.
Larry, here's a link to a thread about coal quality and its specific gravity started by lobersterman. Worth reading and has some good, simple ways to check coal quality by spee-gee on the spot. I have some numbers in that thread for the coal I burned through last year. I still have some UAE to check along with this year's coal. I'll post those numbers when I get aroundtoit ;) Until then - here's the link.

Coal Density

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 1:54 pm

So less dense is also likely to mean greater heat value. What was the coal from which you got the densities of between 1.40 and 1.437?

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 6:52 pm

I agree with everything you guys have said. The better coal I have had in the past seemed to be lighter in weight by comparison. Also, I have noticed that the best coal almost looks like "black glass" if you will.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 7:19 pm

I have burnt Harmony for years, back when it was UEA it was red ash coal and I got alot less ash but it clinkerd bad and cracked 2 grates, since the change to malard contacting (new owners) its white ash and lots of it but no more clinkers and never cracked a grate since.

I have noticed a 5 gal bucket weighs about 3 pound more this year then last (I weigh every one) I guess I'm in the minority here in saying I like this coal better lots of ash and all.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 11:33 pm

Some one should start a thread titled "Mallard Contracting Coal quality/quantity" ;)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”