Oiling Rice Coal in Bin

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Thu. Feb. 09, 2017 10:20 pm

I usually get bulk coal delivered which is oiled. Last week I had 3 tons of coal delivered without any oil. I was wondering if there is any way I could oil the coal that is already in the bin. I have been spraying the coal with water but it seems to dry out right away. Has anyone tried oiling their coal after it has already been delivered. If I used a garden sprayer filled with vegetable oil and sprayed the top of the coal would the oil travel down to the bottom or would it just lay on top of the coal?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 10:53 am

Ideally you want to use warm or hot water, have you
thought about using mineral oil instead?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 11:31 am

My delivery guy oils it as it it's delivered with a garden sprayer as it comes down the tube, Definitely helps keep the dust down. I believe he uses mineral oil.
you should be able to spray it in your bin without too much difficulty. mix it around a bit if you can.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 12:16 pm

WNY wrote:My delivery guy oils it as it it's delivered with a garden sprayer as it comes down the tube
Would you happen to recall the ratio of oil to coal? Say 2 gal sprayer to 5 ton of coal? I have a covered gravity bin and lately it is getting dustier. I was thinking of trying some oil on it also.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 12:31 pm

it looked like about a 2 gallon sprayer and I got 3 ton of coal. he used prolly 3/4 of it. it was down pretty low.

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 8:45 am

I have tried oiling it once it is in the coal bin, it does not work very well. In my experience you have to oil it either at the breaker as it is being loaded into your trailer/truck, or as it comes down the chute into your bin. I used to oil mine after they loaded it into my trailer. Recommended amount is 1 qt./ton, but I always used 2qt./ton. Doesn't hurt a thing, and keeps wifey from complaining about the dust. Word of caution: USE ONLY MINERAL OIL! Do not use vegetable oil, I speak from experience, it quickly turns rancid and trust me, if your wife complains about dust from coal, she will def. complain about the smell from the rancid veggie oil. Mineral oil will never go rancid, and is available at Tractor Supply in gallon jugs in the equine section for around $20. Also, if the coal is wet, the oil will not stick to it as well.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”