Coal Price Climb

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 11:29 pm

The regs as you call them are red tape, things get slowed down down trying to get permits and such, yes time is money but its also money the companies need to build breakers, get equipment ect, this stuffs old, repairs cost alot, profits are down these guys invest time and money and there employees work hard they need a break from the regs and I think Trump knows this

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Feb. 18, 2017 11:46 pm

DennisH wrote:I've been paying my dealer about $6 per #40 bag, give or take, for the past several years.
I'm amazed that you can buy bagged Anthracite for that price in MI ! I haven't used bagged for several years, but I believe that is the going price in my area. Maybe 30 miles from the closest breakers. Maybe a bit less if bought in ton quantities. Good for you!

I don't use propane, but according to the web, the current retail price in PA. is $3.20 a gal. The PA wholesale price is listed under a $1.00 currently. Your $1.10 sure sounds good. From the few local propane users I have talked to in recent years, you can get a severe hose down on propane prices if you go with the wrong dealer. Or do well with another. I believe that propane has always been much cheaper in the Midwest and South. A recent fill up on #2 heating oil cost me $2.06 a gal. My seller is higher than the cheapest. A year ago I was paying $1.50 a gal. I've noticed that heating oil prices are usually higher in NY state and New England.

I've used Anthracite for about 30 of the past 40 years. I don't recall particularly lower prices for bulk, in the summer. Maybe $5 a ton. I haven't bought coal in Spring or Summer since my year round stoker boiler days. I have seen big Spring discounts for sideline bagged dealers like hardware stores in the past. Not so much anymore. With the rising cost of diesel and gasoline, I don't see anything but higher prices for Anthracite. The mines and breakers are likely using off road motor fuels, but prices continue to climb. Pa. has had 3 increases in the past 4 years on on-road fuel taxes. We have the highest gas and diesel taxes in the US.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 6:32 am

bernincoal wrote:Then, why is the coal industry happy when a bunch of regs were lifted? Weren't the old regs killing business?
You go on a long trip,thru several states & thru every state you see a police car EVERY mile. Every state,you got ticketed for something, a license plate light not working,which is obviously a very serious safety issue,tailgating in another & that came from the car in front of you slamming on the brakes when they saw the police car in the median,you didn't get slowed down as quickly & thus the tailgating ticket.Another state the police ticketed you for your taillight lens being off color,even tho it was the original lens from the factory.The final state you enter,the only police you see are either on a side street or helping someone who has broken down.You continue thru the state to almost the opposite border where you reach your destination.When you talk to your host,you mention how much of a strain it was driving thru all the states except his. You talk to him about how relaxing it was to be able to drive without lots of worry about doing something wrong.Thru all the states you went with the flow of traffic,so you weren't really considered to be speeding even tho you drove above the posted limit most of the time. BUT in the last state,you didn't have to worry about whether or not you might get picked out of the line of cars & given a speeding ticket. So even tho you were doing the same thing as other drivers were,the last state was the only state where you could drive without thinking you were in the cross hairs.

Welcome to the coal miners world of regulations,they also enjoy the ability to operate without fear of having 1 scoop too many on a given pile or some other stupid reg like a dirty safety label on a machine.
Just because the coal company is happier with the reduced regs,doesn't mean that they will lower their prices & thus their profit,it just means that now they can operate more comfortable & hopefully make a better profit.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”