What Brand Bagged Coal Do You Think Is Best?

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Tue. Jan. 03, 2017 8:40 pm

I absolutely do not regret splitting 45,000 lbs with my friend. In fact we are so impressed with the current quality and have another empty shipping container to store it in, that we are thinking of splitting another 45,000lb load. / quote

How much coal fits in a shipping container? I have thought about that as a good way to store it. :)

Dave

DennisH
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon-Eagle Klondike IV
Other Heating: Propane

Post by DennisH » Fri. Jan. 13, 2017 7:49 am

I burned Blashak for several years, until my dealer switched to Reading. I guess it was a real pain dealing with the Blashak people. Anyway, Blashak always burned very well, and I was happy with it. The first two years of burning Reading were questionable. The coal was generally very wet and had a lot of fines. This year, however, Reading must have done something different (better!) with their quality control. Each bag of coal has been really good. I burn nut coal and the sizes of the pieces seem to be really consistent. Reading was also known to have rocks in their coal. Not that I've found, at least not this year. I have no problem getting 12-14 hour burn times with the Reading I have for my Yukon Eagle wood/coal furnace.

Side note. Wind chill outside here in the U.P. of Michigan is -16degF. Inside our 2500sqft ranch, it's a toasty 74degF! Gotta love coal!! We also have a propane furnace, and with propane being relatively "cheap" at $0.90/gal, I'd have to burn a LOT of propane to have the same warm comfort level in the house. Wife loves it, because she's always feeling cold, well, not anymore!! :D :D

realsquare
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: yukon

Post by realsquare » Fri. Jan. 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello DennisH, it's always good to hear from other yukon folks.

It's kinda off topic here, but with Yukon; it's all about getting the ash to fall thru.

Have you made any special tools ? I have two kinds of L shaped rods, and one iron one to run under the coal. I have a raised board to put on the floor and a special ash coat to wear when poking from below.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”