Bulk TT Loads

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:07 am

a word to the wise.

if you are going to be getting a TT of coal and have a set amount of money you can spend, you need to work very close and clearly with the operation you're buying from.

case in point. I called Lehigh and talked to Terry about getting specifically ( and repeatedly ) 20 tons of nut. told that was possible but would have to have the scale slip to provide final pricing.

WELL...... in the end there was 22.97 tons on the truck. that means the load cost me $581.00 more than I expected / wanted in coal and trucking.

IT's OK, I HAVE THE MONEY but, maybe someone else doesn't. and 3 tons is not what I would call a slight over run.

THIS IS NOT A SLAM ON LEHIGH. just a FWIW as a hoped help toward others.

steve

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:09 am

It woulda meant a WHOLE LOT to me KC. Thanx for the post.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:13 am

freetown fred wrote:It woulda meant a WHOLE LOT to me KC. Thanx for the post.
you're welcome Fred.

don't get me wrong, $600. unexpected cost means something to me too. fortunately this time I just finished a big side job I had devoted to this load and it's covered.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:17 am

Guys it is practically IMPOSSIBLE to get an exact load of bulk coal, or anything bulk for that matter, they would have to load it by had with a shovel to get the exact pound, there just not gonna do that, With the equipment they use it's just a ball park.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:30 am

i agree with that and fully expected it could be 1 ton long. I know how they load and I use BIG equipment daily myself and can tell what I got on within 500#'s either way every time.

i want to make sure this is staying framed in the correct context. if it went UNDER it wouldn't have mattered to ME either.

BUT, there are people here for whom being informed after the truck has left the scale AND property that it's 3 TONS long and on the road could be a strain.

steve

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 8:31 am

had that happen to me on my first big load of BIT, thought I was getting 29 tons ended up with 37.5! :o

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 9:37 am

It might have more to do with the trucking company not wanting to truck all the way to you for 15% less. They also go by weight. I always get a quote for trucking and it is by ton. One guy who used to truck for me had an overload permit and would try to get the breaker to overload him by Pa. standards. He brought 28 tons one time. He always asked me if it would be all right. We always went right to the scale too ;)

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 7:23 pm

At Gale Mining Co,loader can give you what you want with extreme accuracy.Truck will first be loaded very close to what you want by timing the flow of coal from the breaker.At that point,truck is weighed and then topped off right on the scale,where the loader can watch the digital readout as he trickles the last few pounds on to the truck.However,as Scott suggested above,Trucker might want to figure on a full legal load to figure a cost per ton and then charge you that much for a partial load.You have to understand the trucker's situation too.Bottom line;You get a better cost per ton on a full load.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 7:27 pm

fifthg wrote:At Gale Mining Co,loader can give you what you want with extreme accuracy.Truck will first be loaded very close to what you want by timing the flow of coal from the breaker.At that point,truck is weighed and then topped off right on the scale,where the loader can watch the digital readout as he trickles the last few pounds on to the truck.However,as Scott suggested above,Trucker might want to figure on a full legal load to figure a cost per ton and then charge you that much for a partial load.You have to understand the trucker's situation too.Bottom line;You get a better cost per ton on a full load.
thanks for the input and quote Job. i'm probably getting more and will give you the next one.

steve

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Wed. Nov. 09, 2016 7:42 pm

I will match their price any time,and beat it often.Thanks for your phone inquiry.Windyhill got another load of rice today,and his first load of nut.He puts rice coal to the ultimate test with his efm 520 settings at 7 feed and 7 air...Gale coal passed with flying colors.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 12:33 am

hotblast1357 wrote:Guys it is practically IMPOSSIBLE to get an exact load of bulk coal, or anything bulk for that matter, they would have to load it by had with a shovel to get the exact pound, there just not gonna do that, With the equipment they use it's just a ball park.
The Big loader at lehigh has a scale on the bucket.. Usually gets me within 20 pounds.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 4:45 am

My load was 800 pounds short of what I wanted this year.

Let me rephrase my early comment, for us little guys buying one or two loads a year, there prob not gonna spend as much time on as the big customers.

I am 110% satisfied with my business with Lehigh and leiby trucking, great group of people.

Kingcoal has a great point for new customers on here that don't understand how these things work, buying bulk is a lot different than running to your TSC and buying 40 pound bags.

Thanks kingcoal for putting this out there to the newbies.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 4:54 am

leiby trucking
Yes, that was the name I could not remember - great guys.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 7:52 am

1) The truckers often want to bring a full load to maximize their ability to make a profit.
2) There is a scale on the big loader which will get you closer, but many want coal directly from the breaker as it contains less fines. If taking from the breaker it is done by eye balling the load. when you have a trailer loaded with coal it is difficult to eyeball exact amounts.

If you want it to be close ask specifically for stock coal, and provide shipping by a driver chosen by you who will be ok with dumping off if over weight. Chances are it will cost you more per ton for trucking but you will be able to get very close to your desired weight in coal.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 10:02 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:1) The truckers often want to bring a full load to maximize their ability to make a profit.
this was what I presumed happened and did indeed find to be the case. the trucking went thru a broker, then an independent.

i would want a full loads worth of pay too. the fact that my preference didn't get down line is all on me and I accept that.

helping to prevent the possibility of a situation like this happening to someone else unawares and unprepared was the only purpose of this thread.

thanks,
steve

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”