Bulk TT Loads

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 1:32 pm

this was what I presumed happened and did indeed find to be the case. the trucking went thru a broker, then an independent.

i would want a full loads worth of pay too. the fact that my preference didn't get down line is all on me and I accept that.

helping to prevent the possibility of a situation like this happening to someone else unawares and unprepared was the only purpose of this thread.

thanks,
steve[/quote]

I understood why you did it, I just wanted to explain why this happens

Mackman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman Super Mag
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Heat Pump

Post by Mackman » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 9:28 pm

I was in the dump truck business a few years. My family has been in it 50+. The quarry we hauled out of had a min. tonnage for trucking. So say you only want 5 tons of stone. So they would Charge you 5 tons of stone. Say stone was 5.00 a ton. so 25 bucks for the stone. It comes in a tri axle that can haul 22 tons. Trucking is 2.00 a ton. They charge you full trucking rate. So 22x 2.00. 44 bucks for trucking 25 for stone. 69 dollars total for that 5 tone of stone. Thats how it worked where I ran my dump truck out of. I dunno about coal

Avi8ter

Post by Avi8ter » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I have a 20 ton semi dump that runs gravel and sand during construction season located in N. IL / S. WI for those who are buying IL coal and are looking for a way to transport a truckload....could do 3 trips a calendar year into other states(besides ILj but that’s the max via trip permits and base plates on the tractor.

top top

Post by top top » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 1:53 pm

With trucks that ride on air it is simple to weigh your own axles. They sell a kit, but really it is nothing more than a pressure gauge. Park on the level and check the PSI required for normal height. You would need to make a sheet for your particular rig to convert PSI into actual weight. Easy enough to do if you record the PSI and actual weight on each load, after a few loads you should have enough data to extrapolate from.

When I was trucking our rates were based on a minimum weight. For instance, 24,000 lbs or "24 mini" , 32 mini, 40 mini, etc. In addition the shipper could opt to pay for "exclusive use" of the trailer, meaning you could not load other freight with it. Then of course there are the Less Than Truckload or "LTL" rates. I never did LTL but did a lot of mini's and exclusive use.

One load I recall was a package about 300 lbs that shipped as a 24 mini going to a plant near Scranton. I had picked up a 24 mini in Wisconsin going to NJ that left about 22 feet of trailer available, then picked up this package at O'Hare airport. They were willing to pay exclusive use for rush service, even though I already had another load on the truck. They were losing thousand$$$$ every hour and needed these parts to get back in production. I ran it straight through and they were very happy to see me. The package was at O'Hare because they intended to fly it into Binghamton NY, but I was a lot faster than the jet plane. :what: :what: :D

That little cardboard box payed more than the big machine that weighed over 20,000 lbs and I had to haul it farther.

https://www.bigmachineparts.com/products/analog-l ... gKet_D_BwE
Last edited by top top on Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Tue. Oct. 31, 2017 2:10 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 10:02 am
LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:1) The truckers often want to bring a full load to maximize their ability to make a profit.
this was what I presumed happened and did indeed find to be the case. the trucking went thru a broker, then an independent.

i would want a full loads worth of pay too. the fact that my preference didn't get down line is all on me and I accept that.

helping to prevent the possibility of a situation like this happening to someone else unawares and unprepared was the only purpose of this thread.

thanks,
steve
It is always a good idea to give everyone a heads up. thanks for that!

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:36 am

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 7:52 am
".... many want coal directly from the breaker as it contains less fines."
I understand wanting to get less fines. But loading directly from the breaker, aren't you going to be getting wetter coal & paying for more water? I prefer to get the coal from where it's been setting in a pile for a while letting the water drain off. I never felt like I got a significant amount of fines from Lehigh anyway.

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:39 am

Protrucker wrote:
Thu. Nov. 02, 2017 7:36 am
LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 7:52 am
".... many want coal directly from the breaker as it contains less fines."
I understand wanting to get less fines. But loading directly from the breaker, aren't you going to be getting wetter coal & paying for more water? I prefer to get the coal from where it's been setting in a pile for a while letting the water drain off. I never felt like I got a significant amount of fines from Lehigh anyway.
Yes your correct with the water, we have many who prefer stock for this reason. Its all a matter of personal preference..

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 11:40 am

How much water weight could a 23 ton load have if taken right off of breaker? I suppose it would depend on the coal size. Has a full load off the breaker ever been weighed then sat overnight and weighed again after water had an opportunity to drain off?

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 11:48 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 11:40 am
How much water weight could a 23 ton load have if taken right off of breaker? I suppose it would depend on the coal size. Has a full load off the breaker ever been weighed then sat overnight and weighed again after water had an opportunity to drain off?
It certainly depends on the coal size. Larger sizes lose moisture much faster than smaller sizes.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 11:58 am

Okay. So say the excess water drains off the load but the coal is still wet, as in wet to the touch. Coal (per piece) doesn't "sponge" up water. How much water weight would a load have compared to a dry load, stove size for example. My point being, is it really enough to worry about?

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:03 pm

I can actually choose if I want coal from a stock pile or straight off the breaker?

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:12 pm

easy to find out, weigh out 20#'s of "stove" into a pile, run the hose on it, pick it right up and drop it in a pre weighed container, weigh it, pour the same coal out of the same container, use a heat gun to dry both, put coal back in container and re weigh.

subtract 2 from 1 and you have water weight on 20#'s of stove, do the math up to 23 tons.

yes this is labor intensive cave man 'rithatic but it'll be close enough. the answer might surprise you.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:03 pm
I can actually choose if I want coal from a stock pile or straight off the breaker?
:lol: :lol: :lol: so...................just how close did you read that PM i sent you. :shifty:

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes lightning, I asked for my load of pea straight off the belt into the truck, to minimize my fines, instead of a loader scraping it up out of the pile, it was a very clean load. My load was still dripping wet after the 6.5 hour drive up here, plus sitting I think 2 nights. But for the 105 dollar per ton less cost than local bulk, I could care less.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:24 pm

To make the comparison even more equivalent, I'll put some holes in a bucket, add exactly 50 pounds stove size dry, hose it and then weigh it a few minutes later.
KingCoal wrote:
Thu. Dec. 21, 2017 12:13 pm
so...................just how close did you read that PM i sent you.
Just seems to good to be true lol. I can choose stock or off the belt, get it cheaper and not be at the mercy of my delivery guy for whatever he wants to give me that year lol.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”