TSC Coal 2016/2017

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Oct. 24, 2016 8:06 pm

We had snow on the ground yesterday for about an hour. I went to tsc and got some generic anthracite as my guy was closed. Omg it was wet in plastic bags. Cant tell what it is but it burns really nice, but 5.99 for 40 lbs. Better than the Hudson my regular guy has..... :gee: Anyone get to the bottom of who is supplying their coal this year?

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Tue. Oct. 25, 2016 8:47 am

I just picked up a bit as well. It's burning nicely in my Hitzer.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Ive been burning more of my generic TSC brand nut in my chubby and Im pretty happy with it's burn. Im not scared to buy more is the best way to put it. Your results may vary.

Wet coal, buy it earlier in the year and poke holes in the bags or its gonna happen, no way around it.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 3:02 pm

Check it out, I just got a really good deal on 12 bags of nut coal.

Attachments

20161026_145914.jpg
.JPG | 89.9KB | 20161026_145914.jpg

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Lightning wrote:Check it out, I just got a really good deal on 12 bags of nut coal.
LOL, It says wood pellets! :) Are you going to wait 300 million years and get anthracite out of it?

gambler

Post by gambler » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Lightning wrote:Check it out, I just got a really good deal on 12 bags of nut coal.
Heck, I would go back when Debora was working again and get more.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 4:09 pm

to protect the innocent, great deal on wood pellets! Use them to start your coal fire ;)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 26, 2016 4:43 pm

warminmn wrote: to protect the innocent, great deal on wood pellets! Use them to start your coal fire ;)
Yes, that's a great idea ;)

Larobpra
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac CL 96G Wood/Coal/Oil Combo
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: Fireplace for the Holidays

Post by Larobpra » Sat. Oct. 29, 2016 7:33 am

I started the coal fire last weekend with the TSC coal. I am impressed so far. Burn time seems longer, and the ash is less dusty than the Kimmel's they had last year. Or maybe I am just doing things a little different this year, last year was my first time using coal. Not shaking it down so much and letting it go longer between fillings.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sat. Oct. 29, 2016 10:37 am

Hello Waldo,

The folks at TSC in Ithaca told me that the new poly bags
that are labeled as the generic TSC bagged coal is still Kimmels.
Just like their last years sewn woven poly coal bags I bought last year
so there is still hope for the folks that need rice coal.

They must be shipping thier coal in bulk to a private bag packer and
its shipped from the packers warehouse to The TSC warehouses in
on the East Coast.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 07, 2016 10:41 pm

Im going to really go out on a limb here, but after a few weeks of burning this generic TSC bagged, crappy dirty looking, multi-sized, lots of fines, slightly wet, possibly Reading coal, it really really has been burning well in my JR. I don't weigh anything but I know Im burning less coal and getting great burn times and temps. Around 20 pounds a day and opening a window often. I still havent lit my large stove yet so I don't know how it will burn in that but I hope it will be good too. I have a good months worth of wood to burn in that first when I switch stoves so that will be a while. Your results may vary.

RSorjanen
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby,Warm Morning 617A/Warm Morning 523
Baseburners & Antiques: Empress Atlantic
Coal Size/Type: nut, pea

Post by RSorjanen » Fri. Nov. 11, 2016 6:19 pm

The TSC generic coal I have been getting here in Maine has been VERY dirty, tons of fines and who knows what else is in there. The few bags that I have burnt I have had to screen it. I got nut coal but the sizes are barely nut down to rice and all the fines. I will say that it burns OK after screening it with no problems. Definitely not like last years Kimmel.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 4:50 pm

I've just finished my 2nd week burning 1/2 TSC (Reading), and the other half Lehigh stove size. I've been adding Lehigh to a slow burning pot, to speed up the recovery, and layering the TSC nut on top, once the fire is established. Because the temps are still in the 40s, the nut coal doesn't burn as hot, (and I'm noticing, not so well either). Good if you don't want to overheat the rooms, but bad if you need to make any real heat. Today, it's 40° outside, and I began with my Lehigh, after a long night of burning, and got a good burn going before a full shake down. Once the stove was "de-ashed", I tossed in more Lehigh, and it too took off quickly. With the pot "mostly" full, and burning fine, I layered the top with TSC nut, and have waited literally hours for it to take off, so I can close my primaries and MPD down. I've gone out there a few times, and even "stirred" the pot, to break up the nut blanket that is smothering the Lehigh. The barrel temps are actually lowering, but the thermometer monitoring the lower part of the coal bed, is still hot, (That's where all the Lehigh is.) Here's some pix.
This is the condition of the coal bed, after 2 hrs of a wide open MPD, and also ash pan, and klinker door.
TSC Reading 005.JPG
.JPG | 79.9KB | TSC Reading 005.JPG
And here is the temp on the barrel. Sorry for the blur.
TSC Reading 006.JPG
.JPG | 47.9KB | TSC Reading 006.JPG
Like I mentioned above, after hrs of an open MPD and ash pan door. If Lehigh was in there, the stove would've melted to a molten pool of iron after 45 mins.
I've been saving the fines coming from the bottom of the bags, and here is what is in the bag as of now, after a couple weeks.
TSC Reading 001.JPG
.JPG | 171.3KB | TSC Reading 001.JPG
TSC Reading 003.JPG
.JPG | 243.6KB | TSC Reading 003.JPG
It sort of resembles small "pea" coal, but beneath is finer. And here (in the hod) is a pic of what came out of my latest TSC Reading bag. From the middle, not the bottom. (A little over exposed, but you get the idea.)
TSC Reading 004.JPG
.JPG | 163.9KB | TSC Reading 004.JPG
When people tell you , "coal is coal" and there's no difference between manufacturers, from the little bit I've been burning, I'm beginning to see differences. And this year..."TSC Reading is crap". I'm sorry to say, the season is just beginning, and I still have about 30-40 something bags left. :x

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 6:38 pm

I've used 12 bags of the Miner's Choice. What I do is put in about 20 pounds of my bulk stove size coal and then blanket 20 pounds of the TSC coal on top. I only do this for low slow burns, about mid week coming up I'll just use the bulk stove size only.

I have noticed inconsistency between bags, some are good, some have a lot of fines and small pieces. Some are wetter than others. But overall it's been performing well for what I need it for which is to put a blanket over stove size coal.

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 7:42 pm

There is a heck of a difference in it from place to place it seems. Mine takes off like it has kerosene on it but then the fines slow it down for a while so I just let it breathe longer before closing up the stove. Ive got a super draft here and that helps too. But Im very happy with it in both my stoves. It does look like crap with the different sizes and fines in it. Yours (joeq) looks even worse than mine does. I got lucky I guess.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”