Possible Huge Coal Score?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 12:57 am

Stopped at my buddy's place of business to say hi and he told me he is going to bid a job cleaning out a coal silo in Lake Erie at a shut down power plant. Estimated 70 cubic yards! We looked it up on the computer and it stated that it is Anthracite coal but didn't give any information on size? Anyone have a clue what size it could be? Shot in the dark but if it was small enough (rice or buck) that would be a score of a lifetime for me, several years supply! Would just have to pay to have hauled. If it were larger than what my burner would take is there any way to break it down further?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 2:30 am

If its too large in size, sell it a little cheap and buy what size you want. 70 yards is a LOT of coal.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 5:53 am

Initial guess : 50 tons.

But don't power plants use pulverized coal?

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 5:55 am

99% sure it is not anthracite.If it is,it is probably a mixed size like 1/4" or 1/2" X 0,meaning it includes mostly fine,very low value on the domestic heating market coal.It would have to be processed through heavy media to separate coal from impurities,and then sized.It might,therefore, have the value of raw coal.1% chance it is left over from 50 years ago,in which case it would need rewashing and sizing.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 6:01 am

They take the coal in as lumps, initially crush it down to buck or so size then run it through the final pulverizers which have air blowing through them. The pulverized coal "dust" is sent directly to the burners from the pulverizers.

Are you SURE it's anthracite? Every power plant I got involved in burned pulverized bit coal. Even the ones that had traveling grates.

It would be worth a drive to verify this before you buy it and have it shipped to your house.

70 yards is a lot of coal. Picture five 16 yard construction size dumpsters full of coal getting dumped at your house.

If it is anthracite you got a heck of a score. And like was said even if it's a size you can't use you can always sell it and get what you want.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 6:45 am

I burn about 15 tons a year and one load of 4 tons was really bad coal .. Now that was the definition of pure PAIN working that one off. 50 tons of c rap would be as bad as being married to my first wife again and I never thought I could say that one again. Steer clear.

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Aug. 31, 2016 7:07 am

The coal type on the bid sheet did say it was Anthracite. I think he's taking a boat out there next week to bid the job so hopefully I can get an idea of the size. I am going to give him a zip lock bag of buck for him to take with him so he has a size reference. Would be a great score if it's correct size but if it were bigger I would pass it up. I wouldn't know who to sell it to and would have to have it shipped to my house, then to buyer, then have coal shipped to my house for a replacement. Would turn into a fiasco?

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Thu. Sep. 15, 2016 7:18 pm

It's been a couple of weeks since last post.I am curious what this coal turned out to be.Did you find out yet?I know of no power plant in that area burning Pa. Anthracite in my lifetime.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Fri. Sep. 16, 2016 8:44 am

I've asked around & several local people had worked at two or three of the nearest power plants in Ohio (Ashtabula area) & one nearer to Cleveland & they all said they burned bit. The way they all loaded there storage bins there would be plenty of smaller sizes but two said that they were certain the plant ran more or lass until supplies were gone. There would always be some left in several areas but they doubt it would be an easy recovery.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Sep. 19, 2016 4:57 am

I have not heard back yet. I may have to stop in to see him and find out how the bid went and if they have awarded a contractor.

Allisman
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil,heat pump

Post by Allisman » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Inquiring minds want to know the latest?

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Nov. 10, 2016 11:43 pm

Allisman wrote:Inquiring minds want to know the latest?
Did not win the bid....I was all excited for nothing!! Still have 9 ton of beautiful Lehigh anthracite to burn so I'm good for the season!

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”