First Year With Kimmels. Not Too Impressed!

Stoker6268
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Stoker6268 » Mon. Apr. 04, 2016 7:34 pm

Well, I burnt Kimmels coal most of the year and wasn't too impressed. Seemed to burn very quickly, and not throw as much heat as Reading coal that I've used in the past. With Reading I can easily get 12 - 18 hours burn time on the coldest of days. Seems like Kimmels barely made it through the night. And the stove and house were noticeably cooler in the morning.
Went back to Reading about a month and a half ago. Much better. Burning it now, with this cold weather, and it's still going on 18 hours plus and the house is a toasty 74! Glad I saved money with the Kimmel s this year, but if it had been a normal winter I think I would have been very unhappy.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Apr. 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Last year I started burning Kimmels nut coal while I was waiting on my plumbers to remove
my old system and install the KAA-4-1.

I had no issues with either Kimmels nut or Dalmation stove coal it what so ever and their rice coal has not failed us.

The thing to remember is that anthracite coal like bituminous will vary in carbon content ,its ashing quality, whether it is white ash or red ash indicating minor iron content and how well it is screened prior to bagging.

Anthracite coals carbon content will vary slightly in any coal seam at any point in the mining cycle.

The thing is that tending the fire and how often the grates are shook plays a huge factor in a hand fed stove or boiler too.

In our case I tried to shake the grates every couple of hours to prevent clinkers and keep air moving under and through the grates. The ash pit and how full it is also affects the draft and how well you can shake the grates.

After I bought and paid for a chimney extension and had it installed out draft improve quite bit as the chimney cleared the peak of the house.

Now that I have the coal stoker I do not have to mess with shaking the grates anymore.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”