Miners Choice Coal Awful

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sat. Feb. 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Went to Tractor Supply to pick up a few bags of Kimmels Nut. They no longer carry it, they have "Miners Choice". It was awful more of a Pea size than Nut. Half of the bag was fines, really awful stuff, avoid it if you can.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Sat. Feb. 06, 2016 6:07 pm

My post from another thread...
My nearby TS changed from Kimmels to MC, so I asked them to order the Kimmels for me. They said it was the same sku as the MC, so the order would likely be filled with MC. I emailed TS HQ and showed a screenshot of their website, which showed Kimmels (but really MC) in stock. I explained that they were not equivalent and should not share the same sku. They did respond, and I think they understood the issue, especially that I took the drive only to find that I was mislead by their "availability" information on the website. I don't expect anything to change for this heating season, but maybe next year we will have a choice.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Feb. 07, 2016 11:30 am

ASea wrote:Went to Tractor Supply to pick up a few bags of Kimmels Nut. They no longer carry it, they have "Miners Choice". It was awful more of a Pea size than Nut. Half of the bag was fines, really awful stuff, avoid it if you can.
Thanks.

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 7:36 am

I had the same problem. I only bought a few bags to try it. They did have pallets of Kimmels rice on site though. This was at the Wareham Store. People there were not helpful at all.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Feb. 13, 2016 9:51 am

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”