Miners Choice From Tsc

Waswood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 160

Post by Waswood » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 7:22 pm

It seems most have liked their miners choice but I am not impressed . Bag after bag has a lot of fines . The kimmels was nice , I had some reading that was nice . Maybe I got what was cleaned up idk. Here's a pic of the miners choice

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 233KB | image.jpeg
image.jpeg
.JPEG | 234.6KB | image.jpeg

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 7:30 pm

Looks like you got the sweepings.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 7:34 pm

Is that pea coal? That is a LOT of fines my friend, I would not be happy.

Maybe the name is a clue. If you work at the breaker/mine, they sometimes let the workers buy the bagged coal that didn't pass the fines test for about half price. This way they don't have to reprocess it.

-Don

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 7:39 pm

I've gone through 15 bags of MC and only one bag had any significant amount of fines in it. The coal burned very well, even the fines. I wonder how many lbs of fines collect at the bottom of members coal bins after a season of burning?

Waswood
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS 160

Post by Waswood » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 8:45 pm

StokerDon wrote:Is that pea coal? That is a LOT of fines my friend, I would not be happy.

Maybe the name is a clue. If you work at the breaker/mine, they sometimes let the workers buy the bagged coal that didn't pass the fines test for about half price. This way they don't have to reprocess it.

-Don
That is supposed to be nut. I'm not extremely happy about it . I only have 1 ton of miners choice. I'm burning it but I hope they go back to kimmels.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 26, 2016 10:04 pm

ONEDOLLAR wrote:I've gone through 15 bags of MC and only one bag had any significant amount of fines in it. The coal burned very well, even the fines. I wonder how many lbs of fines collect at the bottom of members coal bins after a season of burning?

I use the smaller pieces and fines during warm weather burning. They collect underneath the coal chute door. I'm sure there could easily be 500+ pounds worth of fines, rice, Buck and pea size amongst 6 tons of Stove size in my bin. Not a big deal if you know where to dig and when to use it.

I can see how it could be an annoyance though burning by the bag where yer forced to use what's in it at that time.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 8:14 pm

I've been burning some MC nut coal, not a lot of fines and it's burned well so far...maybe you just got a bad batch.
Hard coal isn't easy to come by here in Utah so you take what you can get :)

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Waswood wrote:It seems most have liked their miners choice but I am not impressed . Bag after bag has a lot of fines . The kimmels was nice , I had some reading that was nice . Maybe I got what was cleaned up idk. Here's a pic of the miners choice
I would call TSC and talk to them about their satisfaction guarantee. Below is from their web-site.

Quick, Easy Returns …
30 Day Return Policy
Whether you made your purchase in a Tractor Supply store or online, if you're not completely satisfied with any item you purchased from Tractor Supply, return it to us with proof of purchase within 30 days from the purchase date to exchange or return an item at its original purchase price. All returns require a proof of purchase in order to accurately refund your original purchase price.

memco man
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 KA-6 Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarms 504
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska liberty
Hand Fed Coal Stove: jotul NR 507, crane coal cooker 44, crane 404, chubby w/blower, chubby w/out blower, franco blege 10-475 Montgomery ward laundry stove Moore's Brother seventeen circulator stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/anthracite/pea
Other Heating: harman p68, elmtree,harthstone,new mack

Post by memco man » Wed. Jan. 27, 2016 10:01 pm

I got a bag of the miners choice and I found the same thing it was full of fines It burned ok but was surprised it looked more like pea coal then nut, I thought that it just my luck to get a bag of fines but it turns out I was not the only one

Memco man

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Thu. Jan. 28, 2016 8:26 pm

My nearby TS changed from Kimmels to MC, so I asked them to order the Kimmels for me. They said it was the same sku as the MC, so the order would likely be filled with MC. I emailed TS HQ and showed a screenshot of their website, which showed Kimmels (but really MC) in stock. I explained that they were not equivalent and should not share the same sku. They did respond, and I think they understood the issue, especially that I took the drive only to find that I was mislead by their "availability" information on the website. I don't expect anything to change for this heating season, but maybe next year we will have a choice.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”