Gale Coal Thumbs up.

cn670
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice or buck
Other Heating: Wall mount propane, as needed

Post by cn670 » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 7:58 pm

I've burned a fair amount of coal in the last 10 years. Lehigh for the last 3 until this year. I never had a problem with Lehigh . My local supplier is only open on Saturdays and my work schedule could not accommodate the hours they are open. So I had to do some hunting around. I tried one place in Scranton/Wilkes barre area, didn't care for the way the coal burned in my stove. I tried Gale coal and I'm very pleased with their rice coal. I actually did a real world test in my stove because I received private messages about one coal being a premium coal vs the other. I test burned a total of 315 pounds of coal and the difference between them was 1/2 pound of ash. The only other difference that I could see was I had to turn the combustion air down a little on the Gale coal.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Good to hear how your test turned out,that shows that we actually can buy coal from Gale & have top grade coal while supporting a small business instead of a huge corporation.Looks like we both got to cut the air back by burning the Gale rice vs. ,in my case Reading,& much lower than the Superior that I originally started with. :D

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 8:43 am

Any word on their buckwheat? And pricing?

cn670

Post by cn670 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:23 am

I paid $160 a ton, I have not burned their Buck , but I can't imagine it would be any different . Some time this week I'll be getting nut for the mark II in the garage. The rice was clean and shinny.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 9:31 am

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:Any word on their buckwheat? And pricing?
Just give them a call. 570-668-5410

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 24, 2016 5:46 pm

cn670 wrote:I paid $160 a ton, I have not burned their Buck , but I can't imagine it would be any different . Some time this week I'll be getting nut for the mark II in the garage. The rice was clean and shinny.
I am anxious to hear how you like their nut,i was planning to get some,but too many issues to deal with. Sadly I had to pick up 1 ton of Reading bulk nut locally. We have been burning the Reading all along,just was hoping to switch to Gale nut also.

cn670

Post by cn670 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 11:47 am

I've been burning Gale nut size in a Harman mark II in the garage. Here is a picture of the ash. All powder, the pieces you see are totally burned, as soon as you touch them .... Dust

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 297.1KB | image.jpg

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 22, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks for the update,good to know.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 13, 2016 9:25 am

I now have 4800# of Gale nut,i have burned around 15 -/+ tons of Gale rice but have yet to burn any of their nut.I got 2 super sacks filled with nut on the truck to keep it separate from the rest of the load,which was rice. I am anxious to see how this nut burns,not sure as to when I will light my stove tho. I have burned Blashack,Sherman & Reading up to this point. I have had little complaints about the Reading coal except my usual about all brands of nut coal I have used. I don't know why I buy nut coal,yet what I get is peanut coal,just seems as tho that is the way it is done & everyone accepts it that way. I would like to be able to buy NUT coal with maybe a few pea sized pieces mixed in,not pea coal with some nut mixed in. There is usually a fair amount of buck mixed into the peanut too. So far I only scooped 15 buckets of the Gale nut out of the 1 super sack,it too looks to be the typical peanut coal,i can't judge for sure yet with that little exposure to it. I have been extremely happy with the Gale rice & am looking forward to see if I am as happy with their nut. It looks real clean in the sack & what I scooped out seems to be very clean. I will try to post updates when I know more. I will say that I am very happy with dealing with Gale,i talked extensively with forum member fifthg,who is the owner/operator of Gale Mining. He & his help have always been very nice,very helpful,they have a very good product at a very good price & have very reasonable open for business hours for retail customers.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Sun. Nov. 13, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for the good word windyhill.Just one thing,don't keep us in suspense,open up ALL the windowstats and put that nut coal to the test!LOL!Please, post your results a.s.a.p!One of my non-forum member customers from Berwick,Pa.,a plumbing and heating man,said yesterday,"if there is better coal out there,I(he) don't know where to find it".He sent the owner of Berwick Brewing Co. in here a couple of years ago,as well as a few other customers of his.They are all good,steady,customers now.That kind of stuff makes my day.We are well stocked with all sizes,including a stove/egg mix.570 668 5410 Gale Mining,for 5 generations.Fifthg.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Jan. 02, 2017 10:13 am

I finally fired my Crane 404 on Dec. 8,i am absolutely loving this Gale nut coal. Clean with very few fines,if you go to my Crane thread,you can see how the blue flames are still dancing after an all nite burn. The pic is after all nite burn & b4 I touched the stove in the am.
Crane 404 - Our First Coal Burner

cn670

Post by cn670 » Wed. Jan. 04, 2017 5:49 am

Yesterday I picked up 2620 pounds of rice coal . . My son and I pulled to side and removed the cap from the truck to get loaded. A gentleman came in towing a small trailer ( maybe 800# of rice coal) a head of us and was loaded slick quick. We pulled in under the shoot next , loaded and back to get the cap on . Very Easy in and out great people to deal with . This is really good coal I like the way it heats.

MamaMegan515
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by MamaMegan515 » Fri. Jan. 06, 2017 10:30 pm

While I'm not an expert on all things coal or our furnace/burner, we have had a considerable amount of experience with different varieties of coal in the last 5 years we've had coal heat. We got our first load of Gale coal delivered by Charlie Grier a couple years ago - and it was great. Again, not much knowledge about coal - but there was a lot less ash (and it looks different than all our other ash) and we go through the coal slower than the others we've used. At that time, we couldn't pick it up ourselves at Gale - so we went back to our previous supplier.

At some point, Gale started offering pick-up which was fantastic for us! He's got great prices (currently $160/ton)! It's the quickest - you get in and out within 10 minutes (unless you're gabby like my husband!). And, the coal burns beautifully. So glad we came across Gale Coal! :D

Gale is definitely our go-to!

bcdex
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: DS 100 Coal/Wood bolier

Post by bcdex » Fri. Jan. 06, 2017 11:22 pm

That's a good price $160 a ton. That's what I pay for a 1/2 ton bagged.

cn670

Post by cn670 » Sun. Jan. 08, 2017 6:40 pm

The freshest load of rice is up to the task. Outside temp is 12* wind chill is -2*. The inside temp is 74 on 1st floor is 74* and 70* up stairs, total of 2265 sq.ft.. the old Harman magnum is chugging along. Yes it is the heat source for the whole house along with a lonely wall mount propainnnn heater that is idle at the moment.

Attachments

IMG_2881.JPG
.JPG | 178.1KB | IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG
.JPG | 47.9KB | IMG_2883.JPG

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”