Reading Bagged Coal Evaluation

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Sat. Jan. 09, 2016 10:50 pm

I've been a memeber for about 8 years and burned coal for a few more than that. I have hand fired room stoves, a Keystoker boiler, and used to have a Van Wert Simplex MultiTherm. I've had bulk delivery, "bag yourself", delivered bags. I've found that, for me, the the dealer bagged (and delivered) just works out the best.

This year, my regular dealer was behind on orders and asked if I would try the pre-bagged Reading Coal in the 40# poly bags, so we did.

Gotta say, sad but true: I hate this stuff!

First of all the bags are truly 'sealed'. There are no intentional perforations, but there are leaks. And they are soaking wet. In fact, some bags have a full pint of water. And when we carry them, it leaks and dribbles everywhere we go.

Second, the handles are whimpy and they easily tear through.

Third, the stuff is sticky. It clumps inside the hopper.

Fourth, it is corrosive.

Finally, they leak everywhere we carry them. It they leak iron stains on the floor.

Bottom line: nasty. Obviously, no honest and experienced coal burner would describe coal as "clean" but this stuff raises the bar on the "messy" scale. I'm to the point that I want to pay the dealer to deliver me the old stuff and take this mess back.

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Sun. Jan. 10, 2016 8:17 pm

1st year burning coal and bought 4 tons of bagged Reading rice coal. I agree, the coal is always damp at least, if not down right soaking wet. And yes it does cause stains on the concrete floor! I had big troubles with it in October; it froze up my pusher bar in my new Keystoker Ka6 boiler so that it could not push coal & kept the fire from staying lit. I had to clean out the hopper, take the push bar assembly out of the stoker to clean it and actually drill larger holes in the pivot points to make it move freely. Once I realized what was causing it - wet coal - I then had to come up with a system to dry it out enough to use it. I have, but I sure did not plan on having to do this as a coal burner. Next year will be different coal, maybe bulk. Hope other bagged coal, if I continue to use it, works better than the Reading.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 5:02 am

Clousseau, take a 5 gal bucket and drill holes in the bottom of it then pour the coal into the bucket so it will drain and you can also put your Strainer bucket inside another one to catch the water. I would have to do this at times when I was getting bagged coal.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 5:24 am

Most bagged coal is pretty wet, you must take steps to dry it before use. I order our coal in the summer and store it inside, it is usually only slightly damp by the start of the heating season.

Clousseau
Stoker Coal Boiler: KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice Coal

Post by Clousseau » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Have already been using the drilled holes in the bucket method; it works good but I did not sign on as a coal burner to have to deal with that.

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 3:04 pm

I know It sucks to deal with wet coal but thats common with bagged coal, I won't do bags anymore just bulk in a covered bin and not on the ground under a tarp ether been there done that.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 12, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm thinkin Rob R. covered it--buy early or buy bulk ;)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 13, 2016 5:42 am

Most of the Keystoker units will happily burn buck-size coal also. Buck normally has less fines and doesn't hold was much water.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”