Gale Coal

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 8:21 pm

I forgot i had started this thread..... I also did not realize that it was over 2 yrs ago when i got my 1st load of Gale coal.
November 7 of 2017, i decided to set my EFM from 4 teeth feed up a tooth, i went right to 6 teeth.I noticed that the ash was clumping up,real thick & the fire was giving off what i call a tarry smell.I cut the air more than usual to help prevent the swelling of the ash. I pm'd fifthg,the owner of Gale Mining Co. & explained my issues.A few days later,he arrived with a skid of bagged coal on his pickup. We talked,looked at the clumpy ash & discussed a number of things during our visit. He filled a tub with coal from my pile along with him & had it tested . They found marginal fusion with this load.fifthg found that the loader had gotten my coal from the wrong pile...

Not certain of the date,but fifthg called & asked if i had room for a tri-axle load of coal...
I decided since i already had 1 pile of coal on the ground,i would just dump the new load next to it.
I paid for the trucking which was less than b4 as the truck was already at Gale & after leaving my place,went to pick up a load going back to Gale.

So, someone goofed, & thru this ordeal, i found a friend who backs his product & values customer satisfaction just like i do with my repair business.

Thank you fifthg.. :yes: :D

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 8:50 pm

where is the breaker?
i saw surface mining permit signs for gale mining already near newtown. i thought they were doing cleanup and selling coal to the powerplants.
odd. thought i tried all the local coal when i lived up there. watched the deep mines close one by one....are there any deep mines left?

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 9:03 pm

They are in Ginther,Pa. They sell residential & industrial coal.

Jimeeh1970
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000
Other Heating: Napoleon 1401i wood insert

Post by Jimeeh1970 » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 6:01 pm

My experience with Gale coal is this. I purchased 4 tons in the fall. Burned OK but dont think it had the BTU content of previous supplier. The ash content was high and tended to bridge into my ash bucket and push coal upward creating an undesirable situation. Caused me to tend boiler more often. When ordering another 3 ton, my coal man asked me how it was and I explained. His response was that Gale had a soft coal problem and that they had corrected it. He also informed me that Gale voluntarily, if I choose, would deliver this 3 ton completely FREE of charge. I couldnt say no and have been somewhat satisfied with with the 3 Tons. I have never had a problem before like the the one I described and am unsure if anyone else would stand behind there product like Gale.

windyhill4.2

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 6:05 pm

Jimeeh1970 wrote:
Fri. Jan. 12, 2018 6:01 pm
My experience with Gale coal is this. I purchased 4 tons in the fall. Burned OK but dont think it had the BTU content of previous supplier. The ash content was high and tended to bridge into my ash bucket and push coal upward creating an undesirable situation. Caused me to tend boiler more often. When ordering another 3 ton, my coal man asked me how it was and I explained. His response was that Gale had a soft coal problem and that they had corrected it. He also informed me that Gale voluntarily, if I choose, would deliver this 3 ton completely FREE of charge. I couldnt say no and have been somewhat satisfied with with the 3 Tons. I have never had a problem before like the the one I described and am unsure if anyone else would stand behind there product like Gale.
Do you use the standard rice ? or large rice like i do ?

leoniru
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H.S. Tarm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator, Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: propane; wood

Post by leoniru » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 6:51 pm

FWIW, I have burned Gale nut for several years including 2017. 2017's coal was very flat - rather chip-like in shape - and I had a harder time with it in my D S Circulator because it layered together hence reducing air-flow through the coal bed. I had to constantly poke holes down through the burning coal to enhance air movement. Now, having said that, in 2016, I got some of the nicest nut I can remember from them as well. So it varies from year to year at least in this aspect. I did find it to have high ash as well.

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I was reading near the beginning of the thread where the Gale Coal rep was saying bagged coal was available on a call ahead basis, is there any extra charge, and what is the current cost of there bagged coal?

Thank for any help, sharkman.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”