LCN Coal Quality

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:10 am

I got a TL load of rice from LCN last summer, my second from them in two years. This load is not nearly as good as the last. I have used Gale, Cornwall, Direnzo and others so I do have a comparison. This load is much higher in ash, heat output is not so bad but I can't really tell yet. WAAYY to many fines and rocks and large lumps are turning up way to often. I am not a happy camper and winter has not really set in yet. Bummer when you have to chew through bad coal.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 9:24 am

CN, I am sorry for you that you have to put up with trash in your coal & a whole TT load of it. :( BUT, I am also very happy that I got my load of coal from Gale Mining,it is beautifully clean coal. It will be a few weeks till I get to burn any of it ,i hope the EFM520 will be as thrilled with burning it as I am with looking at it. That info makes me very happy to have chosen Gale,i nearly went to Lehigh.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 11:26 am

That sucks. The load of Lehigh I got last year and this year was/is excellent.

It is well worth asking for coal straight from the breaker, or at least run through the sizing plant prior to going in the truck. Many of the coal companies have had unsatisfied customers at some point due to the way the coal was handled in the yard. It is pretty easy to scoop up some crushed stone with a 980 Cat.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 1:21 pm

What Rob. said .I got near 6 ton of nut first Saturday they were open .Real clean nicely sized an Burns Hoooot . Real hot .Nice low ash .Last June 2014 tried a ton of Gale .Last winter I was Emptying the ash pan Twice a day .I live 40 minutes from Blaschak Jeddo Gale Di Renzo Reading an the Hazleton Shaft an Stokton breakers .My area still burns coal about 40 percent of households .I know the home delivery guys .Gale would be one of the last coal s to buy .See stovepipe Mikes comment an also G. Robinson also .See there thread on Lehigh .Call them I am sure they will do something for you .Jack

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 3:38 pm

Thx Jack, you can always tell the real experts and I value your input. All coal is a variable so let me start to work through it and perhaps it will get better. I will update this thread once winter really hits me. At the moment this weather is just play stuff. :sick:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Hmmmm, the HITZER wouldn't of had a problem w/ that or any other coal my friend. Oh that's right, ya don't have that anymore! :whistle:

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Nov. 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Glad to see that you are full of pi$$ and vinegar, you had me worried there for a while. How much LCN rice shall I send you for your burn test. :)

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”