Finding Coal for Sale in SW Virginia

fizban
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Combustioneer 77B
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400B
Coal Size/Type: Bit various sizes
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by fizban » Fri. Oct. 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey everybody,
I'm interested to see about heating with coal in the future. I'm attracted to bituminous based on the low cost, but really need to see what I can find locally available before deciding. I'm located in Blacksburg, VA if that helps. I've called around a bit, but haven't gotten any calls back.

Anybody know any areas around that would have it for sale? Up to Roanoke or Lynchburg or down to Wytheville or over just across the border to WV would be fine. I appreciate any help. Thanks,
fizban

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Fri. Oct. 09, 2015 9:02 pm

fizban wrote:Hey everybody,
I'm interested to see about heating with coal in the future. I'm attracted to bituminous based on the low cost, but really need to see what I can find locally available before deciding. I'm located in Blacksburg, VA if that helps. I've called around a bit, but haven't gotten any calls back.

Anybody know any areas around that would have it for sale? Up to Roanoke or Lynchburg or down to Wytheville or over just across the border to WV would be fine. I appreciate any help. Thanks,
fizban
There is Bit places in WV but I have never made a trip to one yet. you usually can get a load straight from the breaker. Anthracite can be found in NOVA and apparently , maybe, find some at a local tractor supply as some of us did this past winter. There used to be a local place in central VA selling KY bit but it doesn't seem like they are around anymore. Anthracite is good stuff and not too expensive either . So take both for a test drive.

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Sun. Nov. 01, 2015 9:04 am

Hill trucking Galax Va. Kentucky lump/ stove coal plus stoker coal. $125.00 a ton.

kaboom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine DS2100WH
Coal Size/Type: nut/Anthracite
Other Heating: FHA/ LPG

Post by kaboom » Mon. Nov. 02, 2015 10:38 am

Blue Ridge Heating and AC in Christiansburg sells both bituminous, and anthracite. Until recently they and Hills trucking in Galax were the only places I could find that were close to me. I stopped using Hill's because the last batch I bought produced a lot of soot. :sick:
I only burn anthracite now .
Recently Tractor Supply in Galax started carrying anthracite nut.
According to their web site http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kimmels- ... _vc=IOPDP1
it is available in the Christiansburg store also.
Last time I checked it was cheaper there than at Blue Ridge.

Best of luck, Bill

fizban

Post by fizban » Thu. Nov. 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks, I'd found that Tractor supply sells anthracite and I also picked up some bit in Floyd to try out that is supposed to be from Sewell seam. I'm going to try both and see if the bit is worthwhile to burn. I'll try the other options for sourcing also. Thanks.

fizban

Post by fizban » Thu. Nov. 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks also Hillbilly. Can you comment on the quality of the coal from Hills or if you know where it is mined? Thanks.

Hillbilly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning 400B.
Baseburners & Antiques: Germer Radient Home A18, Glenwood #8 Baseheater, Phillips & Clark Oakvale Andes 161.
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Stove Bituminious
Other Heating: Electric baseboard

Post by Hillbilly » Thu. Nov. 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Stove coal coming out of eastern Kentucky. Burns good and hot, no clinkers. like any bit it does produce soot. According to what I've read on this forum you have to have a bit burning stove to burn off the volatiles. The old Warm Mornings have the flues inside that helps burn the volatile off, less soot and smoke. They do not make a modern bit burning stove from what I've read here.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”