Where Are They in Pa.?

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Fri. Sep. 11, 2015 4:20 pm

I see owners of antique stoves getting vital parts made such as grates, barrels, backpipes made in various states but have yet to see a Pa. source for foundry or sheetmetal reproductions. Anyone care to comment? Would think there has to be someone doing this work in Pa.

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Fri. Sep. 11, 2015 9:51 pm

deepwoods wrote:Would think there has to be someone doing this work in Pa.
I have no experience with any foundry outfit as of yet but came across a number for one posted at a local coal dealer. It's Cattail Foundry located in Gordenville PA (717) 661-9172. If you google them it's mostly antique engines and machinery forums that talk about them. It's an Amish operation so a phone call is "let a messg, will call when it's our turn to use the phone" deal. They seem to have a high reputation.

There are some backdoor foundries in the Columbia/ Marietta area but as yet I haven't had a need to go door knocking to get something done.

Of course one can never have too many...hobbies either.

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Sat. Sep. 12, 2015 11:53 am

BC, I also have not needed foundry/sheetmetal service yet. My search for a fixable centenarian stove will eventually produce results and would like to be aware of any folks in my state who are qualified to do that sort of work. Not that I insist on Pa. but it would be another arrow in my quiver so to speak :) Foundry you mentioned could be a spin-off from DS Machine? Going to file that phone# for future reference. Thanks :D
Dick

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Mon. Sep. 14, 2015 11:41 am

I copied this from post birman07 listed on his March-Brownback rebuild. Another source for sheetmetal work.

Picked up the both barrels sheet metal sections yesterday from the shop I found in Shamokin Pa. They did a good job on replicating what I took them. They even went an extra step and put a roll in them for me. :D A little bit of cleaning and fitting on the top of the pot area and I'll be able to dry fit them. Then it's find the appropriate nuts and bolts and get ready to reassemble

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 10:34 am

Williamsport Foundy Company Google it

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Sadly, the Williamsport Foundry closed its doors last month. I had some brass parts cast a few months ago at Zawol Brass Foundry in Wilkes Barre. Haven't had any luck finding any cast iron foundry in Northeast Pa. that is willing to take on small jobs.

Paulie

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Feb. 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Tue. Feb. 07, 2017 2:59 pm

Thats really unfortunate I was actually going to get them to make me some grates for my Jensen 30A I am not paying 141.00 plus shipping for each grate. I actually made some out of 1/2 inch steel that worked out OK. I just have to work on them a little to make them better I guess.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 10:02 am

Alvin wrote:Thats really unfortunate I was actually going to get them to make me some grates for my Jensen 30A I am not paying 141.00 plus shipping for each grate. I actually made some out of 1/2 inch steel that worked out OK. I just have to work on them a little to make them better I guess.
For the DYI'r, rebar [reinforcing bar used in concrete] is a harder steel than other goods.
And can be welded too. :)

Alvin

Post by Alvin » Wed. Feb. 08, 2017 7:53 pm

I did notice rebar is harder and it don't bend well I broke it woknder how well it would hold up as a coal grate

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”