Purchased 4 Tons From Agel Coal

Kubota2007
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magmun 20yrs old,Harmon Super Mag just installed.
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric,

Post by Kubota2007 » Sun. May. 03, 2015 8:42 am

I purchased my coal for next winter, first time I purchased from Agel, delivery was fast, driver was very experienced. Coal looks great, coal was damp, (the last supplier's coal was so wet my basement was wet most of the summer) very happy with the price $190 per ton for Reading coal delivered. 4 Tons filled my bin to the max, last year 4 tons didn't?????????? I received a weight slip from Agel, my last years supplier gave nothing but a hand written receipt and asked for cash.

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Sun. May. 03, 2015 9:31 am

Sounds like a good deal to me, $190 per ton delivered for this area is good. The going rate here is still $210.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. May. 03, 2015 9:56 am

Kubota2007 wrote:4 Tons filled my bin to the max, last year 4 tons didn't?????????? I received a weight slip from Agel.
Unfortunately I had that happen to me as delivery person all too often. The amount of coal in the truck never looks like that much and the one house I pulled up to the guy is questioning whether it was right before I had even started delivering. After filling his basement bin to rafters he comes out as says it was the most he ever got, then I asked him what he wanted to do with the rest of it. :shock:

You should get a weight slip but honestly that does not exactly guarantee you will get what you are paying for. My Father just got coal and I was skeptical because of the price, guy had the same lift I had so it wasn't so hard determining if it was right as soon as he pulled into the driveway. No weight slip, just a receipt and I had no reason to question it so I didn't.

NEPA Coal Cracker
Stoker Coal Boiler: keysoker k6

Post by NEPA Coal Cracker » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 11:17 am

Hi just want to update this thread with Agel's price for Rice. I called today Jan 15 2018
I have not used Agel but might give them a shot. I asked on the phone if they have oiled Rice Coal, and the man said whats that? So i assumed they don't.. I asked price for rice Delivered and Pick Up. I live in Justus just outside of Clarks Summit. 20 min from Agel..
Delivery is $195.00/Ton Bulk Rice and Pick Up $170.00/Ton Bulk Rice. Has anyone else noticed the coal being dusty from here? I just started burning coal this year, and I got oiled coal which had absolutely no dust I like to keep my basement clean. But I am willing to try without oil just to find out. My first load was oiled Rice from Fireplace Gallery in Noxen, PA where I bought my boiler. He said I would be too far or him to deliver to me economically in the future. But Dan was very nice and the coal was great wish I could use them.

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Mon. Jan. 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I don't want to bad mouth Agel, they sell Reading coal at a decent rice. Always use oiled coal but last year I tried 3 tons of rice without oil and the dust in the basement was just too much. Got two tons of oiled Blaschak about two weeks ago and am very happy with the way the coal burns and with the lack of dust. Each coal is good but I prefer the oiled Blaschak, to each his own.

NEPA Coal Cracker

Post by NEPA Coal Cracker » Sat. Jan. 27, 2018 6:35 am

Pocono Pete, Thanks for mentioning how dusty it was for you. I have decided to drive to Susquehanna Anthracite (Old Hudson) Breaker. $170/ton pick up and $5/ton for oiled rice. I defiantly do not want dust!

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 11:07 am

Let us know how you like the coal from Susquehanna Anthracite, might try them next time.

NEPA Coal Cracker

Post by NEPA Coal Cracker » Sun. Mar. 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Love Susquehanna I burn rice. In a Keystoker boiler. It’s my favorite so far.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Mon. Aug. 05, 2019 9:05 am

my coal is alway wet as it comes directly from the breaker. My bins are outside so they get dried out before sliding to the stoker

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Thu. Aug. 29, 2019 10:26 am

I have been trying to call Agel all week but no answer. Anyone know whats up with that?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Aug. 29, 2019 10:55 am

Patience my friend, patience. :)

miner1979570
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentlemen janitor GJ-9R
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Nut

Post by miner1979570 » Fri. Jan. 10, 2020 8:20 pm

Here is a trick I learned working for a breaker. When your delivery guy delivers the coal stand by his chute going in your bin with a gallon or two of vegetable oils and drizzle it on the coal as it flows into the bin and now you have oiled coal. Summit anthracite in good spring had a 250 gallon tank and a 1/4 inch hose that squirted oil as it was being loaded and the water spread it throughout the load.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”